Thirlmere Lakes has water.

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Thirlmere Lakes has water.

Postby michael_p » Mon 19 Oct, 2020 1:19 pm

Went to Thirlmere Lakes with some friends to see the upper lakes with water in them again.

Last time I visited Lake Couridjah you could walk all the way out to the middle. Thought it would be a long time before I saw anyone paddling around the lake again so I was delighted to see a couple out on canoes.
DSCN2176.JPG

Lake Werri Berri from the western side.
DSCN2178.JPG

Lake Nerrigorang from the north east.
DSCN2203.JPG

Remains of the jetty at Lake Nerrigorang are still visible. In the top left you can see a device on a tripod. It was aimed at a reflector further up the lake. Assumed that it was measuring mine subsidence in the area.
DSCN2205.JPG

Michael.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Thirlmere Lakes has water.

Postby johnw » Mon 19 Oct, 2020 2:03 pm

Good to see the water coming back Michael. Last time I took a walk there, in 2016, the lakes were quite full, so some way to go still.
Hopefully the forecast above average rainfall will see a return to former levels in the near future.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: Thirlmere Lakes has water.

Postby puredingo » Tue 20 Oct, 2020 12:57 pm

Last time I was there..and the only time...I'd walked through from Hill Top and my mate arranged to pick me up from Thirlmere "Lakes".

After a full day of walking and seeing nothing that resembled a lake I was having my doubts. Thank God for signage.
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT