Historic Missing Aircraft - Nattai Area

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Historic Missing Aircraft - Nattai Area

Postby Hoojar » Tue 20 Oct, 2020 3:38 pm

Walking in the Nattai with my Scouts over the weekend, I was reminded of a story that I was told long ago of a missing plane on the Wanganderry Tableland, I was told in the Beloon Pass area. About 20 years ago I even remember walking to Mount Beloon from Beloon Pass and naively hoping to stumble across some wreckage.

Has anyone else heard of such a story? Has anyone ever been 'searching' for it? A bit of a look online and I found this website, it seems that the story I was told was true, in so much as a missing RAAF Plane from 1943 might be in the area.

http://missingdragon.tripod.com/
Hoojar
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Historic Missing Aircraft - Nattai Area

Postby michael_p » Tue 20 Oct, 2020 3:49 pm

I have spoken to someone who has been on trips out to the Wild Goat Plateau looking for a crashed plane. He got involved with some people who have been looking for a lost plane for many years. They have apparently walked a very large part of the Nattai looking for the plane. I believe it may have been the one you linked too but I am not 100%.

Cheers,
Michael.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Historic Missing Aircraft - Nattai Area

Postby juxtaposer » Tue 03 Nov, 2020 3:10 pm

Hoojar, thanks for the post and the link. It answer's something that's puzzled me for a long time. Years ago I was up on a remote ridge in that area. I didn't find any remains of a plane, but in otherwise completely pristine bush I came upon a large campfire mass of charcoal embedded with bottles and cans. I also found a couple of metal jerrycans stamped "RAAF Richmond Base Exercise Equipment". There was no water on the ridge. At the time I assumed that the RAAF must use the area as a training ground, but very likely they were searching for the missing plane. I wondered if they'd been helicoptered onto the ridge and were expected to walk out, which might explain why they left the jerrycans behind.
juxtaposer
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT