Any trips planned over the break?

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Any trips planned over the break?

Postby kanangra » Sun 13 Dec, 2009 1:30 pm

I aim to try and get away between Christmas and NY. Thought I would head out from Green Gully to the Coxs and then up Harry's River. Then take the road up Moorara Boss and the back roads to Kanangra Walls. Then out over Cloudmaker and down to Konangaroo before returning via Yellow Dog and Medlow Gap.

What do others have planned?

K
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Any trips planned over the break?

Postby Son of a Beach » Sun 13 Dec, 2009 4:57 pm

I haven't been on a walk with just my wife without the kids for about five years. So after the new year, while the kids are with their grandparents, we're just going to do a very easy and relaxed two nights up on the central plateau and see some of the lakes. We plan to take some nice food and drinks and stay in the same place for two nights and really relax with probably not a huge amount of walking in between.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby tomberli » Sun 13 Dec, 2009 5:01 pm

Hoping to head down into the SouthWest at some stage. See how much time I can free up - the Arthurs would be brilliant but probably also fairly busy that time of year.
Picasa-Albums from Tassie, Antarctica, the Arctic and more
tomberli
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Drifting » Sun 13 Dec, 2009 5:44 pm

Big plans this break!

3 nights at Freycinet before Christmas

2-3 nights at Pelion Huts- walking in via Arm River and out via Lees Paddocks

Maybe Pine Valley or the Walls, depending on how my youngin' stands up to it.
All good things are wild, and free.
Drifting
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby johnw » Mon 14 Dec, 2009 12:15 pm

Well after spending the past two Christmas breaks in Tassie doing multi-day walks, I was hatching plans to do so again this year. No such luck. My youngest son had other plans then my wife got in first and booked us into an apartment in Jindabyne for a week or so. We're actually taking her elderly parents as well since they haven't had a holiday this year and are not in the best of health.

Anyway I don't mind, the Snowy Mtns is one of my favourite walking destinations after Tasmania. As the only bushwalker in the group I hope to revisit some favourite day trips solo. Will probably stick around the main range and might do a small amount of "peakbagging". Many years ago we started ticking off all of the highest "peaks" in Australia (granted many of them are little more than grassy knolls). I've completed most of the top 20 or so but still have Little Twynam and Gungartan outstanding in the general area, so might attempt at least one of those. We did have a go at Little Twynam several years ago starting from Guthega but were turned back by lightning strikes maybe 500 m short. Similarly have tried Gungartan previously but stopped short at Schlink Pass, as the off track bit was too badly damaged by bushfire to continue in good conscience. How much walking I do will depend on the weather and what the others want to do, although they'll probably be happy to do some short walks around Jindy and just chill out as we're staying right on the lake.

I recently bought a XC MTB after not owning a bike of any description for many years. I'm on leave for 3 weeks so I'm hoping to also get in some trail riding closer to home while I'm off.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby kanangra » Mon 14 Dec, 2009 1:11 pm

John,

Gungartan is definitely worth the effort.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Mon 14 Dec, 2009 7:05 pm

Starting on Christmas Eve from Dead Horse Gap, a loop over Bob's Ridge to the Chimneys (maybe a side-trip into the Charcoal Range), along the ridge to Mt Terrible, back via Paddy Rush's and the Brindle Bull. Just for a loosener.
Then into the Jagungal wilderness for a week or so - 16 Mile, Far Bald, Farm Ridge, Bull Peaks, Brassies, Gungartan - maybe up to the Main Range via the Rolling Grounds & Tate, 'cause I'd like to get out to the Sentinel some time this summer - back via Kerries, The Ghost and the Grey Mare Range.
And if there's any time left after that, maybe back up Hannell Spur, as my knees have finally forgotten just how hard it was . . .
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby johnw » Tue 15 Dec, 2009 1:18 am

kanangra wrote:Gungartan is definitely worth the effort

Thanks K, apart from the abandoned attempt I've had a distant look at it from the Mt Tate area and does look enticing. Will see how things go.
One of the strangest things I've seen while bushwalking was on the way to Schlink Pass. Maybe half way there we encountered a party coming the other way. One rucksack-clad adult male was pushing a small child along the trail in a builder's wheelbarrow... :shock:

scavenger wrote:Starting on Christmas Eve from Dead Horse Gap, a loop over Bob's Ridge to the Chimneys (maybe a side-trip into the Charcoal Range), along the ridge to Mt Terrible, back via Paddy Rush's and the Brindle Bull. Just for a loosener.
Then into the Jagungal wilderness for a week or so - 16 Mile, Far Bald, Farm Ridge, Bull Peaks, Brassies, Gungartan - maybe up to the Main Range via the Rolling Grounds & Tate, 'cause I'd like to get out to the Sentinel some time this summer - back via Kerries, The Ghost and the Grey Mare Range.
And if there's any time left after that, maybe back up Hannell Spur, as my knees have finally forgotten just how hard it was . . .

That's some trip! You never know, I might bump into you. To whet your appetite (and mine) a couple of shots from my previous efforts in some of those places:
From The Chimneys.jpg
Looking over Pilot Wilderness area from The Chimneys
From The Chimneys.jpg (73.54 KiB) Viewed 12414 times

Watsons Crags from The Sentinel.jpg
Watsons Crags from The Sentinel
Watsons Crags from The Sentinel.jpg (118.04 KiB) Viewed 12414 times

p.s. Only read about Hannell's Spur: my knees scream just at the thought...
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby north-north-west » Wed 16 Dec, 2009 6:37 pm

Don;t have to be back at work until the 11th. I've done most of it already, but I'm in the mood for something reasonably straightforward and don't really feel like breaking new ground as I'm currently cameraless.

With Hannell Spur it's not so much the endless steep uphill slog as constantly having to prospect for the 'track', especially on the flatter bits. And the weather going off just after you've lost the route completely and started over the wrong end of the Abbotts.
I think I'm grateful I didn't go back down that way.
But the views from Byatts and the back of the Abbotts are to die for:

a6371.JPG

Oh, and if we do cross paths, you'll recognise me easily. I'm the one who will try to mug you for your camera. I'm thinking about suing Lowepro . .
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stepbystep » Wed 16 Dec, 2009 6:44 pm

Great shots from NSW, I really wasted my time while living there :(
Nevermind, enjoy your travels, it's nearly as good as being in Tas :wink: well not really, but you know :D
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Wed 16 Dec, 2009 7:00 pm

Nothing is as good as being in Tassie. :(

Ahh well, there's always next year . . .
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Clownfish » Wed 16 Dec, 2009 9:40 pm

We've got a young visitor coming from the Mainland. Planning to introduce them to bushwalking with an easy two-dayer to Lake Nameless.
Clownfish
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby SteveJ » Thu 17 Dec, 2009 2:28 pm

I have a 5 day walk down through Nadgee NP planned after xmas, Hope to combine walking, packrafting and a smig of fishing in this brilliant coastal wilderness area. It is not a huge trip but will be an enjoyable trip and I am really looking forward to it, trying out some new lightweight toys :D

Steve
SteveJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT