Suggested 4 day Main Range /Jagungal hike fire affected

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Suggested 4 day Main Range /Jagungal hike fire affected

Postby PedroArvy » Sat 05 Dec, 2020 10:50 am

I am thinking of hiking around Main Range /Jagungal over summer. I know the area had fires this time last year. I am wondering, are there areas that have been badly fire-affected that I should avoid? Could anyone suggest a non-fire affected or say minimally fire-affected 4-day hike. Or perhaps the fires weren't that damaging and it doesn't matter where you go? Anyway, I have no idea and was looking for some advice. I typically hike 5 hours a day (that's walking time excluding rests). Thanks in advance.
PedroArvy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Suggested 4 day Main Range /Jagungal hike fire affected

Postby Zapruda » Sat 05 Dec, 2020 4:06 pm

Nothing burnt south of Mt Jagungal or on the Main Range. The burn areas are easily avoided.

A nice 4 day, off track walk could look like this

Day 1 - Guthega Dam to Consett Stephens Pass via Mt Twynam and Mt Tate - 12kms

Day 2 - Consett Stephens Pass to Tin Hut via the Rolling Grounds and Mt Gungartan. 10kms

Day 3 - Tin Hut to Gungartan Pass via the Brassys, Mawsons Hut and Kerries. 12kms

Day 4 - Gungartan Pass to Guthega via Whites River hut, the Rolling Grounds and Guthega trig. 12kms

Really nice walking. Stunning views. Easy nav. Plenty of options for side trips.

I could easily recommend a longer route if that’s what you wanted as well.
Zapruda
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Suggested 4 day Main Range /Jagungal hike fire affected

Postby PedroArvy » Sun 06 Dec, 2020 8:18 pm

Thanks Zapruda, that is very helpful and the route you gave is not one I was aware of.
PedroArvy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Return to New South Wales & ACT