Day walk from Coxs River Campsite - Six Foot Track

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Day walk from Coxs River Campsite - Six Foot Track

Postby milliganimals » Thu 04 Feb, 2021 3:12 pm

Hi folks,
I'm planning a trip along part of the six foot track, but camping only at Coxs River Campsite for 2 nights.
Other than the bridge walk which is only about 1.5 hours, can anyone recommend a solid round trip ~8 km from Coxs River campsite? Preferably something off the Six Foot Track, at least for most of it, as we're walking that anyway. Happy for some steep hills. :)
TIA
milliganimals
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Day walk from Coxs River Campsite - Six Foot Track

Postby keithj » Thu 04 Feb, 2021 6:35 pm

I think it's mostly private property around Cox's River... maybe rock-hopping up or downstream?

Assuming you're starting at Katoomba....

Instead, you could consider camping at Old Ford Reserve (only 300m detour) for a night, and backtrack 3km to explore Narrowneck from Nellies Glen Rd. Redledge Pass, Rennies Tunnel, Devils Hole are all steepish & <10km ?

Or dump pack near Diamond Creek on day 1, do a 1/2 day up Narrowneck, then camp at Old Ford, then another 1/2 day exploring, and move on to Coxs River campground for the 2nd night.
keithj
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby milliganimals » Fri 05 Feb, 2021 7:45 am

Thanks keithj,
Great to know re: private property.
I'll suss out the other walks. Bit limited with the Cox's campsite, but I'm not sure if I can change campsite.
milliganimals
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby kelvinn » Tue 16 Feb, 2021 8:27 pm

Only piece of advice I can give is that if you are thinking of going downstream, then have a look at some of the river gauges ahead of time. What I've found is that if the river is quite high, then that will tend to push you up on to the banks, and depending on where that is it can be slow bushwhacking.

Sorry can't bring better advice :(
kelvinn
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to New South Wales & ACT