Kosciuszko NP - Kunama Hutte Site

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Kosciuszko NP - Kunama Hutte Site

Postby rathnew » Thu 04 Mar, 2021 11:20 am

Advice sought and greatly appreciated. Planning a day walk to the site of the old Kunama Hutte, under Mt Clarke. My thinking was Charlotte Pass, down the the Snowy crossing, upstream to the ruins, then roughly follow Club Lake Creek upstream to the cirque and the Kumama site. From there up onto Mt Clarke from the east-ish and then back onto the main track via Moraine Pass and back via Blue Lake. My main concern is underestimating vegetation along the creek in particular - is it walkable? I'm not expecting a path or pad. Is there any case for doing the walk in the reverse direction? As I say, any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated.
rathnew
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Kosciuszko NP - Kunama Hutte Site

Postby Zapruda » Thu 04 Mar, 2021 1:27 pm

Your proposed route is fine.

The terrain is a mix of low snow grass and knee or thigh high alpine heath. The climb up on to Clarke from the Kunama Hutte site is steep but manageable. Perhaps sidle around to the east of Mt Clarke a little to take the bite out of the climb.

Either direction is fine. It would certainly be easier doing your route in reverse and descending Mt Clarke to the site. But if you are fit it shouldn't be a concern at all.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby rathnew » Fri 05 Mar, 2021 5:16 am

Thanks for the advice Zapruda - that's really helpful.
rathnew
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby rathnew » Tue 09 Mar, 2021 6:03 am

In case anyone else is interested, I've realised that the Geehi Club book describes a route to Club Lake, which could also be the basis of a route to/from the Kunama Hutte site. Another alternative might be via Seamans Hut or the bridges (again, vegetation permitting. I've walked around that valley system many times on the Main Range track, but never through it - I'm curious to see it close up!
rathnew
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to New South Wales & ACT