How many tents would fit at Asgard swamp?

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

How many tents would fit at Asgard swamp?

Postby skibug » Thu 25 Mar, 2021 12:30 pm

As above - two person tents fitting comfortably - ie not on rocky ground, not on a slope, a bit of room around each etc? Also, is it right to assume there is always potable water there?

TIA

Skibug.
skibug
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: How many tents would fit at Asgard swamp?

Postby keithj » Thu 25 Mar, 2021 1:14 pm

skibug wrote:As above - two person tents fitting comfortably - ie not on rocky ground, not on a slope, a bit of room around each etc? Also, is it right to assume there is always potable water there?

IIRC there's comfortably space for half a dozen tents.

This is the rock next to the camping area.
IMG_0705s.JPG

Potable water should be fine from the Northen end of the swamp. Worst case - McKenzies Pass (E down to the mine & kilns) has always had plenty of water close to the track.
keithj
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby michael_p » Thu 25 Mar, 2021 2:21 pm

I have walked past it but not camped there myself. I have spoken to people who have camped there and they advised that water is available from Asgard Swamp which is to the north (behind the rock in above photo). Open Street Map shows a track down to the swamp. Map: https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/- ... /150.29075

Also, with all the rain they have had in the mountains it would be safe to assume that the creeks are running well and the swamps would be full at the moment.

Cheers,
Michael.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwanderer » Thu 25 Mar, 2021 2:59 pm

Make sure you bring the aeroguard. After all these rains the mozzies and all manner of insects are blocking out the sun!
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Snooze » Fri 26 Mar, 2021 12:20 am

When we walked it a few years ago, when it was probably a bit dryer than now, the track down crossed a nice running stream quite close (ten minutes maybe before you arrive) to the campsite at the pyramid rock. From the campsite, there was a track through the swamp which I explored for a bit but couldn't see a location to gather water. We also descended the steep track down the hill to see the old mine and kiln. There was a nice amount of clear-looking water dripping down the rock face there (although my companion told me not to gather it because he thought, given the location, it might be contaminated with metals. I'm not sure if he was correct. We had trekked in sufficient water anyway so it never mattered.) We also walked to the lookout at Thor's Head, and I'm pretty sure we crossed where some streams had dried up but they would definitely be running now.
Snooze
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to New South Wales & ACT