Shrouded Gods to Holland/Clyde jcn

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Shrouded Gods to Holland/Clyde jcn

Postby bernieq » Sun 04 Apr, 2021 3:09 pm

Recently I've been reading a few old Canberra Bushwalking Club newsletters, "it", and 2 of them were of particular interest.
From 1977 is a reference to a route from Meekins saddle to Shrouded Gods then to Holland/Clyde jcn in 3hrs 15min - that with a group of 10 and is described "Shrouded Gods is a pleasant and comparable alternative to Darri Pass"
The other confirmed that the route goes out to near to the NE corner of Shrouded Gods.

Such a route isn't on the Nth Budawangs Sketch Map and looks 'challenging' on the topo maps. Does anyone know of such a route?

2nd question: anyone have recent experience (ie post 2020 fires) of the Darri Pass route (ie Cooyoyo, Darri Pass, Hollands)?

In the interest of honoring forum rule 24, please don't post detailed route info publicly.

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: Shrouded Gods to Holland/Clyde jcn

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Sun 04 Apr, 2021 8:07 pm

No idea but also interested, especially any beta on darri pass

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby clarence » Mon 05 Apr, 2021 9:27 am

Yes, there is a route along there, there are easy (i.e. "no rope") passes through both of the clifflines down to Hollands Gorge. Takes the long N spur to the section between Kilpatricks and Camping Rock Creeks.

There are a few clefts along the top of Shrouded Gods that need to be dodged.

The speed of the route will depend on the vegetation on Shrouded Gods. Even if scrub was thick, it could be done in 6 ish hours (Monolith Valley to Hollands Creek) I reckon.

No need to detailed description of the route as it the most obvious one on the map and when you are walking (south to north).

Getting up onto Shrouded Gods from Monolith Valley is the most technical part of the walk. A bit of a classic route with spectacular views.

I did it some years ago to take a break from a walking partner who was smoking bongs every night. I did it as a day from Mt Cole cave, Monolith Valley, Shrouded Gods, Hollands Gorge, Mt Tarn, then to camping cave at Mt Houghton. I said "If something goes wrong, you'll see the helicopter come for me". They took the leisurely route past Bibbenluke/Mt Tarn. As I got to N end of Shrouded Gods around 2pm a Navy helicopter flew right past me twice. I arrived at camping cave 2 hours after dark, and let them know the helicopter hadn't been for me. Big day.

Clarence
clarence
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby bernieq » Mon 05 Apr, 2021 10:45 am

Great, clarence, thanks for the reply - just what I needed.

I have a trip in a couple of months and, weather permitting, hope to include this in the plan.

Yeah, that was a big day indeed. What route from Hollands to Mt Tarn? Up the spur from Angel/Holland, I expect, but did you take the route shown on the Sketch Map (bypassing Angel Ck and coming up the east side of Tarn) or did you get back into Angel Ck and follow it up to Tarn?

bernieq

Postby ribuck » Mon 05 Apr, 2021 12:22 pm

bernieq wrote:From 1977 is a reference to a route from Meekins saddle to Shrouded Gods then to Holland/Clyde jcn in 3hrs 15min - that with a group of 10

The Budawangs were much more open in 1977, so the timings probably can't be replicated nowadays.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby bernieq » Mon 05 Apr, 2021 12:30 pm

... although recent fires may have altered that - my planning is nothing if not flexible :)

bernieq

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Mon 05 Apr, 2021 3:53 pm

Budawangs are definitely much more open since the fires, although in some areas, particularly lower down some of the spurs, the weeds are coming back in force.
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby clarence » Mon 05 Apr, 2021 10:30 pm

bernieq wrote:Great, clarence, thanks for the reply - just what I needed.

I have a trip in a couple of months and, weather permitting, hope to include this in the plan.

Yeah, that was a big day indeed. What route from Hollands to Mt Tarn? Up the spur from Angel/Holland, I expect, but did you take the route shown on the Sketch Map (bypassing Angel Ck and coming up the east side of Tarn) or did you get back into Angel Ck and follow it up to Tarn?

Up the east side of Mt Tarn (not into Angel Creek), by which stage it was dark.
clarence
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby bernieq » Tue 06 Apr, 2021 9:37 am

Great (again!)

That's on the list too. :)

bernieq

Postby bernieq » Thu 08 Apr, 2021 2:30 pm

OK, next question : has anyone here walked around the base of Mt Owen, between Trawalla Falls and the southern tip?

I'm sure it 'goes' but wondering if it's a simple 2km or is there a lot of up & down, as there can be traversing a cliff base. Any other overhangs?
(edit: found a 2013 comment on this site from Grabeach that confirms it's "fairly easy" - not so the lower cliffline)

bernieq

Postby Huntsman247 » Thu 08 Apr, 2021 4:37 pm

ribuck wrote:
bernieq wrote:From 1977 is a reference to a route from Meekins saddle to Shrouded Gods then to Holland/Clyde jcn in 3hrs 15min - that with a group of 10

The Budawangs were much more open in 1977, so the timings probably can't be replicated nowadays.
Budawangs are pretty open these days after the fire. Apart for along cks where weed is pretty hectic atm.
Easy going most places.
Huntsman247

Region: New South Wales

Postby Huntsman247 » Thu 08 Apr, 2021 4:40 pm

bernieq wrote:OK, next question : has anyone here walked around the base of Mt Owen, between Trawalla Falls and the southern tip?

I'm sure it 'goes' but wondering if it's a simple 2km or is there a lot of up & down, as there can be traversing a cliff base. Any other overhangs?
(edit: found a 2013 comment on this site from Grabeach that confirms it's "fairly easy" - not so the lower cliffline)

Are you asking about the lower or upper clifflines?
Huntsman247

Postby bernieq » Thu 08 Apr, 2021 5:30 pm

I'm asking about the base of the upper cliff-line.

bernieq

Postby FatCanyoner » Thu 08 Apr, 2021 6:08 pm

Knowing Grabeach, I'd probably take his "fairly easy" with a grain of salt... Some of the passes he's found over the years are quite challenging to mere mortals.
FatCanyoner
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.FatCanyoners.org www.CanyonGear.com.au

Postby GHub » Fri 09 Apr, 2021 10:40 am

Re "weeds", a lot of the leafy green regrowth is actually native pioneer species that grow quickly after fires, drop seeds and die off. They hold the soil together somewhat while other species re-establish. The seeds can lie dormant for decades until another fire. I certainly wouldn't start pulling any of these out without positive ID as weeds from someone who knows their stuff. (Obviously watercourses downstream from farmland are a different story...)

But don't let this distract from a very interesting and useful thread!
GHub
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Huntsman247 » Fri 09 Apr, 2021 11:55 am

bernieq wrote:I'm asking about the base of the upper cliff-line.
Single file track from the camp caves to the saddle. From the saddle to the point it's pretty straight forward but undulating. No track but using a bit of common sense sticking loosely to the base of the cliffs it can be done in an hour or so. Maybe quicker if your super fit and pushing it. Easy going after the fires.
She does go at the end but with all the burnt stuff as you approach the lower cliffs it's not very obvious to find going down.
Huntsman247

Postby bernieq » Sun 11 Apr, 2021 10:44 pm

Yeah, I've been up onto Owen via the saddle and out to the southern point.

This time, the plan is to come from Monolith, up onto Owen and out to the southern point (yep, done that before) then I'm looking at dropping down to the first level and heading back to the Mt Cole CCs along the western base of Owen (rather than just walk back to the saddle and drop down there).

All good, looks like a plan (although if it's pi**ing down like my 1st trip in 2007, I'll stay in the cave) :?

bernieq

Postby Huntsman247 » Wed 14 Apr, 2021 1:28 pm

Waking across the top would be a bit quicker but also nice between the cliff lines. Interesting cliffs.
Huntsman247

Return to New South Wales & ACT