Water supplies for Great North Walk

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Water supplies for Great North Walk

Postby mazzystardust » Fri 09 Apr, 2021 4:02 pm

Hi all,
My friend and I are co side ring doing the Wondabyne-Yarramalong section of the Great North Walk late April2021. Are there water tanks/sources along that stretch or do we need to bring enough for the whole way. Thanks in advance.
mazzystardust
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Water supplies for Great North Walk

Postby Pink Cap » Fri 09 Apr, 2021 8:29 pm

I did the whole Great North Walk last year and had no problems with finding water every day. On the part you mention there is water at several waterfalls around Kariong Falls, at Pyles Creek which you cross on a big suspension bridge, Robinsons Creek which you follow for a while, just beyond Somersby store the route crosses Ourimbah Creek (I think) and then there's Ourimbah Ck all the way to Stringybark campsite, and there’s a lovely set of falls on the descent to Yarramalong where I remember sitting and making a welcome coffee. There may be more water too that I’ve forgotten.
Pink Cap
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australia

Postby mazzystardust » Fri 09 Apr, 2021 10:51 pm

Thanks Pink Cap. Excellent info.
mazzystardust
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby DavidB » Sat 10 Apr, 2021 1:46 pm

Just to note that some of these water sources come off farming land and therefore should be considered contaminated. Be prepared to treat the water.
DavidB
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby skibug » Sun 11 Apr, 2021 2:55 pm

Just to note that some of these water sources come off farming land and therefore should be considered contaminated. Be prepared to treat the water.

Just to expand this, be aware there are two types of water contamination - biological (eg virus, bacteria, protozoa, algae, fungi, and multicellular animal parasites (helminths) etc) - and chemical (eg oils, pesticides, fertilisers, zinc, mercury, cadmium, arsenic, various salts, microplastics and lots of other stuff). Generally, the traditional water treatment methods - boiling, quality water filters, iodine, aquatabs, uv light purifiers etc will remove the risks of the biological contaminants, but they will do nothing to mitigate the chemical ones. You would need some form of distillation or reverse osmosis system for them, and know exactly how to use them effectively. To minimise your risk of harm, collect water from sources which have no human inputs upstream, usually pristine bushland. This is not always possible or easy, so sometimes you need to compromise to some level. As a general rule, look at maps to assess the source of the water, try to find any taps that provide treated potable water, and carry water if local water may not be safe. This is becoming more of an issue as humans continue to despoil the world irresponsibly.

Skibug
skibug
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT