Yalwal Creek, Morton NP

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Yalwal Creek, Morton NP

Postby Tobias » Thu 20 May, 2021 10:07 am

G'day g'day,

Does anyone know if the water from Yalwal Ck is drinkable? There's a few old mines in the area, and I've read that the water at the Toorooroo campsite upstream isn't suitable for drinking.

Thinking of camping along Yalwal Ck near-ish to it's confluence with the Shoalhaven or maybe a bit further south. Any good spots / places to check out around there?

Cheers!
Tobias
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Yalwal Creek, Morton NP

Postby potato » Thu 20 May, 2021 3:53 pm

The campsite at the dam might provide a few contaminants in addition to those from the mines. Nothing a good filter couldn't fix though.
potato
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Yalwal Creek, Morton NP

Postby clarence » Thu 20 May, 2021 9:19 pm

I haven't been to confluence of Shoalhaven and Yalwal Ck, but have been to lots of other similar spots around there (e.g Timboolina Flat upstream into Ettrema). I agree a good filter would deal with any problems.

If you camp up at Yalwal and Ettrema Ck junction there should be good water in Ettrema Creek- lots of great spots to camp and swim.

Ettrema Ck is worth an explore, and Barron / Brady's hill are a good short walks also

Clarence
clarence
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Return to New South Wales & ACT