Blue Mountains NP access threatened at Mt Wilson

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Blue Mountains NP access threatened at Mt Wilson

Postby FatCanyoner » Tue 08 Jun, 2021 1:27 pm

I'm sure many people on the forum have camped at Cathedral Reserve in Mt Wilson. More than a few would have walked north along the track to the Wollangambe River. Not only does this track offer some stunning views, it also provides access to the extremely popular Wollangambe Two lilo trip, as well as a number of technical canyons.

What most people don't realise is that about 800m of that track (the part through the tall rainforest with stunning tree ferns) is on private property. The same family has owned it for decades and they've always provided access to canyoners and bushwalkers, but there's no easement or road reserve to legally guarantee that access. That means the purchaser of this land would be completely within their rights to shut down public access.

The block contains 70 acres of pristine rainforest, so really should be added to the neighbouring national park. It could also provide a new camping area to help ease the pressure on Cathedral Reserve.

I've been told National Parks have money available for land acquisitions, so are capable of purchasing this land and ensuring access is maintained.

It's important for NPWS to understand how significant this land is to recreational bushwalkers and canyoners, and how important it is to maintain public access to the area.

Please take a moment to email the NPWS Blue Mountains Branch outlining the fact that you are a recreational bushwalker or canyoner who uses this track to access the surrounding national park, and you want them to urgently examine the purchase of the land or an access arrangement that provides a legal easement for the walking track.

npws.bluemountainsbranch@environment.nsw.gov.au

Thanks in advance.
FatCanyoner
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.FatCanyoners.org www.CanyonGear.com.au
Region: New South Wales

Re: Blue Mountains NP access threatened at Mt Wilson

Postby Allchin09 » Tue 08 Jun, 2021 8:47 pm

Hey Tim,

Thanks for raising, I'll have a bit of a look into it and report back. Best outcome does seem that NPWS buys and adds to the park.

Also, might be better if you move this post out of the Bushwalking NSW sub-forum, and into the main NSW & ACT one, where it will have more visability.

Cheers, Alex.
Tackling the unknown and the awesome one adventure at a time!

Check out my latest trips at http://aoacblog.wordpress.com/posts
Allchin09
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Sydney Bush Walkers

Postby wildwalks » Tue 08 Jun, 2021 9:56 pm

**Moved thread to NSW & ACT** :)
wildwalks
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Wildwalks, Bushwalk.com & NPA NSW

Postby Allchin09 » Tue 08 Jun, 2021 10:47 pm

Oh, and here is the real-estate listing: https://www.realestate.com.au/property- ... -700144882

Also I belive that it is two lots for sale (but this isn't confirmed) being: Lot 52 and 53 of DP 751645.
Tackling the unknown and the awesome one adventure at a time!

Check out my latest trips at http://aoacblog.wordpress.com/posts
Allchin09

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Sydney Bush Walkers

Return to New South Wales & ACT