Desktop version
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.

Forum rules

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.
Post a reply

Question re Green Gully Track

Sun 13 Jun, 2021 5:00 pm

Hello all. Was wondering if any of the good folk here who have done Green Gully in Oxley Wild Rivers NP could advise whether or not the stream line shown half way up the hill on Day 4 is a reliable source of water - would be nice to avoid carrying a day's worth of water up that first pitch.

Re: Question re Green Gully Track

Sun 13 Jun, 2021 8:43 pm

Did you want to post a picture of the map so we know for sure where you mean?
I walked that final section Jan 25th 2019, it had rained 3 days previously, but otherwise was a dry summer. I did stop and refill at the stream I would think you are meaning, it was shallow, but running.

Water was no problem on the trail for us, other than the second day, it was very exposed, no water all day. I carried 3.7lt that day but still got through it all before dropping down off the Ridge line, my son had a similar carry and a similar result- it was 30+degrees for us though.

Mon 14 Jun, 2021 4:10 pm

crappity pic, was going through my GG album and saw this, you can see the water source of Birds Nest Creek running shallowly across the track here,my sons Star Wars jocks drying on his pack, noice. Other than rain and lightning the first day, each day of our walk was well into the 30's. I am walking it again this Winter as someone I know wanted to go but you can't go solo.
Attachments
20190125_103203.jpg

Mon 14 Jun, 2021 5:41 pm

Thanks for that, much appreciated. My wife and I are walking it next week, so don't anticipate any issues with water consumption. Just be nice to lighten the load going up that hill. Must confess to some trepidation about day 3 and all the water crossings - that water is going to be very cold!

Mon 14 Jun, 2021 9:50 pm

I share your trepidation!
Going to be freeeeeezing in the water.

Yes, that hill out of Cowell's is long and steep, any less weight is good for sure! Enjoy your walk

Tue 15 Jun, 2021 9:19 am

Why can’t you go solo?

Tue 15 Jun, 2021 12:52 pm

puredingo wrote:Why can’t you go solo?

It is a condition of booking the walk that you don't go solo, I do most of my walking solo, but respect the NPWS wishes on this one. Other than very local walks, I would rarely want to do a repeat walk anywhere, but am happy to do it on this occasion.

Tue 15 Jun, 2021 3:36 pm

Really? Never heard of such a specification before.

I wonder how many actually adhere to the rule....which brings up that topic again about ranger authority.

Tue 15 Jun, 2021 4:07 pm

Its been a condition of booking the GG track since it started, I believe.
When I walked it, only saw a ranger once on the last day. There were trail cams for wildlife(?) on the first days walk.
I know of one person who walked it alone, nil follow up from NPWS re:same. I am not a goody two shoes, but respect guidelines as much as reasonable.
When I originally walked it, the cost was $150 pp for my son and I. So if walking solo I guess you would have just paid $300. I got a very rude shock when booking for my walk in a few weeks time....$900!!!!! That is for 2-4 people. You can have up to 6 (too many for my liking in the huts) but it is $300 per extra walker.
I think the payment structure alone has now priced anyone out of wanting to do it solo.

Tue 15 Jun, 2021 6:11 pm

I really didn’t know anything about the walk and now after I hear about those prices..... I don’t *&%$#! want to!!!

Tue 15 Jun, 2021 6:30 pm

I read somewhere recently you don't have to pay, if you want to walk the track and not stay at the huts. There where some restrictions but so long as you don't smoke or take pets, you should be right.

EDIT: found it "Backpack camping outside of defined camping facilities is allowed at
locations more than 200m from roads, public access vehicle tracks, day use
areas and car-based camping areas. Camping is prohibited in day use
areas" p47
https://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/-/media/OEH/Corporate-Site/Documents/Parks-reserves-and-protected-areas/Parks-plans-of-management/oxley-wild-rivers-cunnawarra-georges-creek-parks-plan-of-management-050627.pdf

Tue 15 Jun, 2021 7:00 pm

It is crazy expensive now. I wouldn't have committed to doing it had I known, given I had already walked it and have no strong urge to do so again, but I had given my word, so coughed up the $.

Tue 15 Jun, 2021 9:43 pm

Big dollars, but looks to be a fairly unique experience with the old stockmen's huts. My wife actually chose it, so I wasn't going to say no! Off to check out the Warrumbungles, Mt Kaputar and Gibraltar Range NP after GG.

Wed 16 Jun, 2021 12:55 am

It is a unique experience and I am sure you will have a blast, I really enjoyed it with my son
Post a reply