Overnight Walk Northern NSW

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Overnight Walk Northern NSW

Postby farkewie » Mon 15 Feb, 2010 8:01 pm

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew of any overnight walks in the northern NSW area within within 2 hours of Byron Bay. I live in Brisbane but we seem to have exhausted most decent overnight walks, well the ones in the "Take a Walk SE QLD" book anyways. We really want something that have a good 5-9 hour walk each way, a return walk or round trip is fine. We are ok to a medium level of navigation skills.

Any suggestions will be welcome. Thanks
farkewie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Overnight Walk Northern NSW

Postby WarrenH » Tue 23 Feb, 2010 3:20 pm

I don't know the book that you mentioned ... but I do know the McPherson-Maclay Overlap.

Having worked as a professional bush walking guide, much of the time in that area, the region isn't about doing long timed walks. The region is too fragmented and the parks too small. The vegetation is too restrictive. There are a lot of 'Clayton's' parks in the eastern Northern Rivers sector.

This region is about going to places to see particular things like the different rainforest habitats, within the 'World Heritage Rainforests of New South Wales' group. Unless you just want to go extreme exploring by heading north up onto the Lever's Plateau. The Lever's Plateau is really cool, then heading west, but somewhat difficult.

You can take on any of the World Heritage Rainforest Parks and just go exploring off track, but don't tell the rangers of course. They are overly precious up that way. When I was alone, I'd go exploring in places like the back of Warning or up to Limpinwood, and on the slopes above Tumbulgum. In 12 hours walking, on some days, I was lucky to have walked as far as 2-3 kilometres, seriously. Some of the best 2 kilometre extreme walks I've done were up in the Overlap.

I guess you have done Lindsay, Ernst and Barney, possibly suggested walks from the book?

Warning, Nullum, Nightcap, and out to the Pinnacle on the Scenic Rim and into Protester's Falls at Nightcap or along the Nightcap ridge are iconic day trips? Most books about the region would have these walks listed. Knowing the history of the protests in the Nightcap, the first protests to save the old growth forests in NSW, will enhance your time there, for sure. Catch up on this one, the area has great history for all Australians. Then do the walk into Protester's Falls and see if it doesn't raise a tear.

From Cunningham's Gap there is a walk to Captain Thunderbolt's Cave.

I've lots of shots from this region. It is a fantastic region for photographers. The smells of a sunrise will stay with you for life, and each time you look at one of your photos there will be some endorphins triggered.

I honestly think that this region is where you go and get lost with your camera. The Overlap isn't long-track bush walking country, that I'm familiar with. Walking on fire trails isn't something I'd recommend in the Overlap either. City drivers from down south, slip-sliding and chopping up the tracks and experiencing rain forest driving for their first time, are dangerous. Go there and get lost, that will see what your capabilities are about. Go and talk to the farmers and ask them for access across their paddocks to what looks good.

The Uki pub is worth visiting. In the pub is a giant Thunder Egg. They claim it is the biggest Thunder Egg on the planet, in captivity ... or something equally outrageous. The town of Uki is worth seeing.

'Warning Morning'. Mount Warning, Little Nullum and Mount Nullum.

If you are prepared to drive out of the region slightly, there are many other places. Guy Falkes, Hernani and New England amongst others. The National Bicentennial Trail in Northern New South Wales is extraordinary. Google the BNT and have a squiz. If you don't know the track, already.

Warren.
Last edited by WarrenH on Wed 24 Feb, 2010 8:15 pm, edited 11 times in total.
WarrenH
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby under10kg » Wed 24 Feb, 2010 9:09 am

One of the best day walks I do in this area is at the Nightcap. Mt Nardi to spincs rock and return is pretty special. You can also do a long throught walk past spincs rock but it is a car shuffle. You climb Spincs rock by tranversing the left hand side close to the cliff line, climbing on huge spear lilly plants. Scrambling experince is needed but pretty easy. This is a pretty special place in my view. There is no water on this walk, except on the side track starting lower down on the Mt Nardi road.
There is wait a while vines on this walk so have long pants, long shirt and I carry hand snippers and even sunnies. One guy got something in his eyes on one walk that I managed to remove.
Depending on how much the track has been used the vines can be good to sh.t
I went though this walk a few months ago solo and I did cut much of the vines away.
I have also done this walk as a 2 day walk from hueronbook lane off wilsons creek rd. Long 9 to 10 hour days. I camped below the rock on the ridge. A 2 day walk from Mt Nardi would be easier on the legs.
I used to start another walk at heuronbook lane and go to some falls which is a 6 hour return walk. The falls in now banned to bushwalkers due to a frog so I will not mention its name.
One can do huronbook lane to mt nardi with a car shuffle. This is better than starting at Minion falls end.
Contact me if you want to do any walks in this area as I could be free. Also contacting the lismore bushwalking club for more walks in this area. There are a few guys in that club that have done everything.
under10kg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby iandsmith » Tue 09 Mar, 2010 10:31 pm

Such fonts of information! I can see there's a lot to be gained strolling through the forums.
I'll actually be up Northern N.S.W. in a couple of weeks and wouldn't mind a stroll if you're free.
Cheers, Ian
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby spryn » Tue 29 May, 2012 2:06 pm

Hi under10kg
are you able to advise where this walk would start?
I am looking for somethign to do on saturday this weekend.

Also - any good ideas of lovely little camp grounds in the area?
spryn
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby phan_TOM » Tue 29 May, 2012 3:06 pm

Hi Spryn, there are a few variuations of the nightcap track but for a good long day walk I would recommend start/finish at huonbrook. You can do the circuit either way but if you have the topo, you go up either oscars road at the end of the huonbrook valley (otherwise called the red road because of the unmistakeable red mud, its a very run down looking 'road' behind a locked gate) or go up North Rocks Road and turn right at intersection at the top. You follow this along until you come to an old timber gate which you enter. Follow this around to Mt Jerusalem for the awesome views and then back down to Huonbrook.

If you go up oscars road, at the top make your way South (past the saddle lookout) to where the road starts to descend on a sharp corner and you will see a thunderbox (with a view of Mt Warning). The Nightcap track starts at the back of the clearing where the toilet is. You get to a subtle fork in the track not far into it, make sure you go left as the right turn goes to Mt Nardi. The clearing behind the thunderbox is a great camp site by the way, or you could also camp up behind the top of Mt Jeruslame as there is a good spot there (and you will be on the spot to catch the sunrise/sunset over Mt Warning)

The only official campground nearby that I can think of is Rummery Park which is a pretty spot & there is some nice walks close by such as Minyon Falls, Eastern Boundary fire trail et al

Also note that its getting cold and it gets dark real early up in the rainforest at this time of year so start early and take a light & warm gear etc

WarrenH wrote:Warning, Nullum, Nightcap, and out to the Pinnacle on the Scenic Rim and into Protester's Falls at Nightcap or along the Nightcap ridge are iconic day trips? Most books about the region would have these walks listed. Knowing the history of the protests in the Nightcap, the first protests to save the old growth forests in NSW, will enhance your time there, for sure. Catch up on this one, the area has great history for all Australians. Then do the walk into Protester's Falls and see if it doesn't raise a tear.

Hi Warren, I haven't come across this post before but I coudn't agree more with your summary of the area, lots of good advice for anyne wanting to do some exploration around here, I feel a bit inspired myself. Definitely not long-track bushwalking country but if you are adventurous there are options to make youre own multi-day walks or decent overnighters and there are plenty of hidden gems if you are prepared to find them such as the palm forest and cave near protesters falls, or 3838 gorge out near Minyon, or the Wanganui Gorge, blackbutt plateau, etc
ALWAYS be yourself.
Unless you can be outside, then ALWAYS be outside.
phan_TOM

Postby spryn » Tue 29 May, 2012 6:56 pm

thanks so much phan_TOM
I think i might kick off my introuction to the area with the minyon loop and maybe a couple of smaller ones.
i want o drive the scenic road on the way back to BNE on Sunday! looking forward to it.
spryn
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby under10kg » Sat 02 Jun, 2012 8:02 am

Send me a private message as I would be open to walk together.
One of the nicest day walk at minons after you have done the usual is the 3838 gorge and hidden valley as mentioned above by phantom
http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1268798
The local bushwalking club as many local walks listed on this site.
http://www.everytrail.com/profile.php?user_id=238860
I still do not know how to download tracks from this site to garmin.
under10kg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT