Bimberi Wilderness walk - any advice?

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Bimberi Wilderness walk - any advice?

Postby Gunner55 » Sun 04 Jul, 2021 4:28 pm

Hi all

I am scoping the following walk and was wondering if there were any tips from anyone for the offtrack part along the Bindabellas/ACT-NSW border (Mts Bimberi to Gingera), then going west off there down to Goodradigbee River. As part of this interested in potential water in creeks (spring-time) I might cross. The topo is not that promising in the water regard for days 2/3. Thanks! Craig

1. Start Blue Waterholes, on Caves Creek through Clarke Gorge, then Wilkinsons Gorge to Goodradigbee River (4km); upstream along Goodradigbee River to Oldfields Huts (9km) – total about 13km, mostly off-track
2. Oldfields Hut to Murray Gap (4km); up Mt Bimberi (3km); following Brindabellas/NSW/ACT border through Bimberi Gap, Deadhorse Gap, peak of 1698m, across Leura Gap trail, then Leura Gap to Rolling Grounds Gap – total about 13km, mostly off-track
3. Rolling Grounds Gap (continuing along border and Brindabellas) to Blackfellows Gap, peak of 1662m to Mt Gingera, then to Brumbys Flats (about 7km); here, turning west down a spur to Blackfellows Creek, going downstream/NW-ish to junction of Goodradigbee R - total about 13km, almost entirely off-track
4. Junction Blackfellows and Goodradigbee, upstream/south-ish on Goodradigbee to Caves Creek junction, then back up Caves Creek west-ish to Blue Waterholes – total about 13km, mostly off-track
Gunner55
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Bimberi Wilderness walk - any advice?

Postby north-north-west » Sun 04 Jul, 2021 7:50 pm

I did the stretch from the Leura Gap track to Bimberi and Murray Gap and then further south some years back. Camped near an old farmhouse/hut/horseyard/somethingorother site somewhere along the track and then to a campsite not far past Bimberi the next day. But that was (I think) summer (would have to check photos from the trip for the date), and an earlyish finish due to a big storm coming through. Mostly fairly easy going, although there was a lot of dodge and weave until hitting the open ground on the northern side of Bimberi; this was due to both patches of scrub and big awkward boulders. Only water I recall before the storm was from soaks or possibly a small feeder creek on that open ground and small pools on the flat rocks up top.

eta: December 2013, according to the photo files. Water should be easier to find in spring.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Zapruda » Mon 05 Jul, 2021 3:51 am

This is a really nice route.

I’ve done variations of it a few times except for the descent down to the Goodradigbee off that part of Gingera. Once I attempted to follow Harrys Spur down to the Goodradigbee... That side of the range is rough country. You might run in to some pretty dense scrub along the Good.

Blue waterholes to the Cave Creek Junction is stunning. I like to climb above the Gorge after Cooleman Falls.

From the junction to Oldfields along the Goodradigbee is a mix of steep and scrub but now with many areas of open ground due to the fires. It’s also worth cutting across to pockets hut if you are finding it slow going.

I last walked the Border peaks from Yaouk Gap to Gingera late last year and it was the easiest going Ive ever had along the range. The scrub was thin and travel was easy. I expect it to be a little overgrown now but nowhere near as bad as it was pre fires. NNW is correct, there can be some annoying boulders. Especially between Bimberi Gap and Rolling Ground Gap.

You will find water in all the saddles. In the dry months it might require you to drop down a little.

Have fun. it is stunning country and worth every second up there.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Mon 05 Jul, 2021 11:01 am

Mate if you do head straight down to the Good from Gingera would be great if you could report back on that route, particularly on the scrub. Even a number of years ago the Harry's spur "track" was intermittent due to post 2003 regrowth, can't imagine there'd be much left of it (not sure if the more recent fires got that far?)... so I'd guess the route you're proposing would be equally scrubby?As Zapruda says its pretty wild country down there. Theres a decent campsite at the junction of blackfellows and the Good where the Harry's spur track comes out. Also if you have time it's well worth doing a sidetrip downstream from the campsite along the Good for an hour or so to a decent waterfall that I don't think is marked on the map (have some photos somewhere that I can post or pm me for a grid if you want).

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Gunner55 » Mon 12 Jul, 2021 7:01 pm

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I might explore the idea of going further north-ish to Mt Ginini, then down Harry's Spur to the Good. Will report back with any intel I think worth sharing.
Gunner55
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Gunner55 » Wed 14 Jul, 2021 5:36 pm

Okay so I have some intel from two rangers, one from Namadgi and one from Kosi, which is included below.
Namadgi ranger:
- Walking from Murrays Gap, up to Mt Bimberi and then working North to Mt Ginini. This would be fairly easy walking, most of the area has unfortunately been impacted by fire. In terms of vegetation, it is fairly clear, especially when you follow the ACT/NSW border. I would strongly recommend following the border itself (the original surveyors certainly knew what they were doing and it is by far the easiest path to follow). I have walked the section from Mt Bimberi to Leura Gap and it was easy going, completed within three hours. Heading north from Leura gap up to Deadhorse Gap is also easy going and the vegetation was not problematic. Obviously as post fire recovery goes on over the next five years, vegetation will thicken up and make walking harder.
- My Ginini was only marginally affected by fire (the fires stopped at the northern end of Snowys Flat). I haven’t walked this section to Harrys Spur trail so I cannot give any detailed local information however I know that people do walk Harrys Spur down to the Goodradigbee so it might not be too difficult to find a path.
- In terms of water – this is all so seasonal obviously. The catchment is charged at the moment so you have good access to water at Murrays Gap and would be able to find some water in other gaps along the range but this will change as the season goes on and obviously all water should be treated before drinking.

Kosi ranger:
- Harry’s Spur did get opened up during the 2019/2020 fire seasons, however afterwards the track got closed and rehabilitated as it is very steep and unsuitable for park management activities. It will be quite difficult to walk with large logs pulled in across the track. It is likely there will be dense post-disturbance vegetation too. You’ll likely be able to see the track, there will just be lots of obstacles.
- Waterfall location on Goodradigbee River– requires conversion http://www.johnevans.id.au/Pages/Walk%2 ... _11_18.htm
- Karst environments. Unfortunately I don’t have any additional information to what is publicly available in the plans of management for Bimberi Nature Reserve and Kosciusko National Park.
- Bimberi Nature Reserve is included in declared Bimberi Wilderness Area, and is protected under the NSW Wilderness Act 1987. This wilderness area spans across NSW and ACT, including a portion of Namadgi National Park as well.
Gunner55
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Alexbudd » Sat 09 Oct, 2021 3:36 pm

I attempted the Harry’s Spur trail from Mt Ginini today and the Kosciusko ranger is correct. it is fairly rough going, and we aborted half way, and sadly didn’t make the river … i had heard it had been cleared in recent years and now wish i had heard it has been since closed ! The logs are not fun to be constantly scrambling over, esp. for young kids but there is little growth on the path, and no issue following it. Highly recommended for 7 foot tall hurdles experts! https://photos.app.goo.gl/aXg3MDK4rd6XjnHG7
Alexbudd
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Mon 11 Oct, 2021 9:13 pm

Alexbudd wrote:I attempted the Harry’s Spur trail from Mt Ginini today and the Kosciusko ranger is correct. it is fairly rough going, and we aborted half way, and sadly didn’t make the river … i had heard it had been cleared in recent years and now wish i had heard it has been since closed ! The logs are not fun to be constantly scrambling over, esp. for young kids but there is little growth on the path, and no issue following it. Highly recommended for 7 foot tall hurdles experts! https://photos.app.goo.gl/aXg3MDK4rd6XjnHG7
How far down do the logs go?

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby MartyMullin31 » Sat 24 Dec, 2022 6:39 am

Congratulations for the article in Wild, Craig and thanks for the advice on this walk. I had planned on heading down Harry’s myself this week but your article set me straight! I did a Ginini/Leura Gap/pockets/Murray’s/Cotter river/Ginini loop instead, which was probably less interesting but less spirit crushing.
MartyMullin31
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby rcaffin » Fri 06 Jan, 2023 4:54 pm

re Harrys Spur
All those 'fallen' trees are probably very effective at stopping the damn trail bikes and 4WDs. And horses too.
One wonders how they 'fell over'.
Hey, just walk over them.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT