Mailes Cave logbook photographs: 1982-2020 (Colo River)

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mailes Cave logbook photographs: 1982-2020 (Colo River)

Postby mandragara » Wed 07 Jul, 2021 11:04 pm

Hi all,

On the 27th of January 2020 I found myself at Mailes Cave just after the 2020 bushfires, but before the 2020 floods.

I decided to photograph the entire logbook for posterities sake as there was significant fire damage in the vicinity of the cave. The logbook went back almost 40 years so I thought it was worth preserving.

I had intended to do an analysis of these entries, however never got around to it. In part because I have difficulty reading cursive. A cursory analysis of the dates reveals that the cave goes through periods of more and less intense use, interest in this cave has ebbed and flowed over the years.

I have uploaded the photos here: https://imgur.com/a/1sRYwmj

Perhaps someone will get a laugh out of seeing their old entry, or feels inspired to perform their own analysis.

Of slight interest might be Andy Macqueen's entry from 1996 - there are also some records of some fairly extensive trips in there. Cudos to the people spending two weeks out in the Wollemi!

Cheers,

Richard
mandragara
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Mailes Cave logbook photographs: 1982-2020 (Colo River)

Postby Allchin09 » Thu 08 Jul, 2021 6:27 pm

This is great, thanks! Maybe the logbook should be collected and placed in the state library before it is lost? There's already a fair collection their under Bushwalking NSW / Confederation of NSW Bushwalking Clubs archives. I might at least place a digital copy from what you've photographed in there :)
Tackling the unknown and the awesome one adventure at a time!

Check out my latest trips at http://aoacblog.wordpress.com/posts
Allchin09
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Sydney Bush Walkers

Re: Mailes Cave logbook photographs: 1982-2020 (Colo River)

Postby Warin » Thu 08 Jul, 2021 9:20 pm

Log books get replaced, the old version going to archives (somewhere).
One of the pleasures of a log book is looking back over past entries, I find the new log books disappointing in that regard. It would be nice to have some copies of sample pages of the old log book/s present at the beginning of the newer log book.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT