Track to Mt Owen after the fires.

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Track to Mt Owen after the fires.

Postby emydura » Mon 02 Aug, 2021 8:12 pm

In early October we are planning to camp at Cooyoyo Ck from where we want to walk out to Mt Owen and back. Can anyone tell me what the track is like since the bushfires. I have read that after the fires, a lot of the tracks in the Budawangs have become impenetrable from the fire regrowth. Just wondering if Mt Owen is the same. My partner would not that be keen on a lot of scrub bashing. Nor would I for that matter. :)

Thanks

David
emydura
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Track to Mt Owen after the fires.

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Tue 03 Aug, 2021 7:53 am

Haven't been up Owen since the fires, but have been from Cooyoyo to Monolith Valley and the track is fine... more open than before in fact. I'd imagine the top of Owen is like all of the burnt plateaus in the area, ie. heaps more open than before. There was never really a track along the top, just a series of (often unnecessarily large) cairns... they should still be intact (?) and OK to follow, or otherwise, assuming it's reasonably open now, could just make your own way out to the "nose" of Owen if you're OK with off-track nav?
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Huntsman247 » Tue 03 Aug, 2021 8:35 am

Haven't been to owen since earlier in the year. But its way way way easier now. It was burnt pretty bad so not much regrowth at all. Can't imagine much growth in the winter since I've been. Other than a few burnt fallen trees to crawl under its pretty straight over now. Sections you used to have to crawl through are now open fields of grass.
Huntsman247
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby emydura » Tue 03 Aug, 2021 6:46 pm

Thanks for your input. Sounds like I have nothing to worry about then. I walked to Mt Owen 20 years or more ago and my recollection was it was pretty easy stroll across the plateau. There was a faint track but you didn't need it. In fact, we preferred to walk closer to the edges to take in the views. Sounds like the overgrown tracks due to fire regrowth is mostly in the valleys.

Do I need to prepare myself for Monolith Valley or does it look as good as always? I have been there a few times myself but my walking partner has never seen it. I am hoping it still is the magical place I have experienced.

David
emydura
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Huntsman247 » Tue 03 Aug, 2021 7:16 pm

The fires did a number on it. Its pretty sad these days imo. Especially if you've seen it in the past. Quite the tear jerker.
Still impressive but just a fair bit browner. Probs not what you wanted to hear.
You'll need to go into the gorges and creeks for that mental weed growth.
Huntsman247

Region: New South Wales

Postby emydura » Tue 03 Aug, 2021 8:07 pm

Huntsman247 wrote:The fires did a number on it. Its pretty sad these days imo. Especially if you've seen it in the past. Quite the tear jerker.
Still impressive but just a fair bit browner. Probs not what you wanted to hear.
You'll need to go into the gorges and creeks for that mental weed growth.

No, not what I wanted to here but thanks for letting me know. At least I will now be mentally ready to face it.
emydura
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to New South Wales & ACT