Passes of the upper Grose

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Passes of the upper Grose

Postby YoungCodger » Tue 14 Sep, 2021 12:02 pm

There are many more passes in the upper Grose than I first realised.
Has anyone compiled a comprehensive list of those that can be done without abseiling / trad climbing?

Please note that I'm not advocating for anybody to try these, just in formulating a list. Some of them require a harness and even then are questionable.

The "easy" pass that is overlooked in my opinion is Browne's Path. Relatively straight forward, spectacular. No need to descend the talus all the way to the Grose - you can retrace your steps once you've seen the views and the gorgeous claystone ledge.

Done
Perry's Lookdown
Pierce's / Hungerford's Pass
Shortridge Pass (Du Faur)
Horse Track
Rodriguez Pass
Browne's Path
Crayfish Creek Pass
Lews Pass
Shaw Gully / Byles Pass
Jebb's Folly (nose of Burra Korain)
Unnamed Burra Korain slot 1
Zobel Gully
Ikara Head climber's track
Orang Utan Pass

To do
Govett's Leap descent
Engineer's Track from Darling Causeway
Thor Head / Mckenzie Mine
Unnamed Burra Korain slot 2
Garrad Gulch
Canyons that apparently go: Koombanda, Kamarah Gully, Jungaburra, Birrabang, Jinki Gully
Lockleys Shute
Unnamed gully on Hat Hill ridge

Thanks!
YoungCodger
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Passes of the upper Grose

Postby tom_brennan » Wed 15 Sep, 2021 12:19 pm

How high up are you looking? Obviously the higher up you go (ie upstream of Ikara Head), the more the cliffs break.

Also, there are numerous other routes into Victoria Creek, but I'm not sure I'd consider them passes of the Grose. But where do you draw the line? The Unnamed Burra Korain slots descend into Victoria Creek first.

David Crevasse and the Canyon Colliery Road are the two obvious ones missing.

I had a very similar list somewhere - can't remember where I put it!
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jonnosan » Wed 15 Sep, 2021 8:07 pm

I was once given a hint by Jim from Centenial Glen stables about a slot he found off Burra Korain head, which he and a friend took horses down in the 1970s. It's possible thats what you are calling Jebb's Folly although it's on the eastern cliff above the Grose, about 1KM south of what I would have described as the nose. You would know the slot if you found it because half way through there is a ledge with some rope and old tools that Jim apparently left in the 70s - they were still there when I last went through 2 years ago.

The first time I went looking for that slot I got confused about what Jim had described and went out along Bald Head ridge, not Burra Korrain ridge, and ended up finding what I have since worked out must be Brownes pass.

edit: here's a photo showing the tools and rope https://photos.app.goo.gl/nZs9j7a7YpnPy3Ge9
and here's one looking through the slot https://photos.app.goo.gl/uT11ZvwcGUWHrb5j7
jonnosan
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby YoungCodger » Thu 16 Sep, 2021 10:12 am

jonnosan wrote:I was once given a hint by Jim from Centenial Glen stables about a slot ... on the eastern cliff above the Grose, about 1KM south of what I would have described as the nose... half way through there is a ledge with some rope and old tools that Jim apparently left in the 70s - they were still there when I last went through 2 years ago... here's a photo showing the tools and rope https://photos.app.goo.gl/nZs9j7a7YpnPy3Ge9
and here's one looking through the slot https://photos.app.goo.gl/uT11ZvwcGUWHrb5j7

Yes I think that's one of the two Burra Korain passes I was shown. At the top we stepped up on the eastern side to an immaculate 270 degree view:
BK slot view.jpg

Slot entry (500819):
bk slot.jpg

To exit we did a 1m step over that slot (there might be a safer alternative). I don't remember seeing that rope when I went through - but I don't focus on recent man-made objects so I could have just missed it. Thanks!
YoungCodger
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby YoungCodger » Thu 16 Sep, 2021 10:21 am

tom_brennan wrote:How high up are you looking? Obviously the higher up you go (ie upstream of Ikara Head), the more the cliffs break.

Also, there are numerous other routes into Victoria Creek, but I'm not sure I'd consider them passes of the Grose. But where do you draw the line? The Unnamed Burra Korain slots descend into Victoria Creek first.

David Crevasse and the Canyon Colliery Road are the two obvious ones missing.

I had a very similar list somewhere - can't remember where I put it!

A couple of friends who know how to rig abseils are encouraging me to do David Crevasse. I'm a novice abseiler but will probably get to it eventually. Sounds fun!

I'll look into Canyon Colliery Rd.

Where to draw the line: hmm. I guess I'm interested in anything that's fun to do myself (so thanks for your suggestions). But for a semi-official list I would limit it to the adventures that can be done with a reasonable degree of safety without abseiling or trad-climbing gear, and that are in the Grose. If you find your list let me know!
YoungCodger
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby rcaffin » Mon 20 Sep, 2021 10:24 am

He He He
Gordon Smith Chimney
He He He

But seriously, DON'T!

I took my 5 yr old daughter up it in the 70s (or thereabouts), on my shoulders. I had to pass her up the main chimney.
More recently I looked at doing it again, from the bottom, but it is now either impassible or extremely dangerous. The top cliff line 'fell off' and the debris has filled the gully and the chimney, but it is VERY unstable. Poke the wrong rock and you could have a few ktons of sandstone on your head. I dare say that one day it will all come down and be possible, but that might take another 50 years.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby YoungCodger » Thu 23 Sep, 2021 5:01 pm

rcaffin wrote:He He He
Gordon Smith Chimney
He He He

But seriously, DON'T!

I took my 5 yr old daughter up it in the 70s (or thereabouts), on my shoulders. I had to pass her up the main chimney.
More recently I looked at doing it again, from the bottom, but it is now either impassible or extremely dangerous. The top cliff line 'fell off' and the debris has filled the gully and the chimney, but it is VERY unstable. Poke the wrong rock and you could have a few ktons of sandstone on your head. I dare say that one day it will all come down and be possible, but that might take another 50 years.

Cheers
Roger

Good to know - I'll bump it to the bottom of the list. The list is getting so long it will take me fifty years anyhow.
YoungCodger
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby mandragara » Sat 25 Sep, 2021 8:10 pm

I would encourage you to bump Garrad Gulch up your list as the fires have made Mt Caley less of a pain to traverse and I'd capitalise on that before it regrows. A nice loop can be done with Zobels
mandragara
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby YoungCodger » Fri 01 Oct, 2021 5:15 pm

Excellent, I will. Thanks.

Since posting I've been shown the Hat Hill ridge pass, which was fun. It's the gully just east of the tip of Bald Head. Mostly straight forward. One dry waterfall to skirt around. Crumbly, not for everyone.

I also went out to Sharp's Pass, a slot parallel with the Ikara Head climber's track but east. That was incredibly easy so I found some variations nearby that were a little more exciting.

I think the list will grow quite long...
YoungCodger
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby jonnosan » Sat 02 Oct, 2021 4:48 pm

YoungCodger wrote:
Since posting I've been shown the Hat Hill ridge pass, which was fun. It's the gully just east of the tip of Bald Head. Mostly straight forward. One dry waterfall to skirt around. Crumbly, not for everyone.

Isn't that where Browne's pass is?
jonnosan

Postby tom_brennan » Tue 05 Oct, 2021 4:05 pm

jonnosan wrote:
YoungCodger wrote:

Isn't that where Browne's pass is?

Close - a couple of hundred metres.
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT