Help: 'Remote' campsite ideas for 6.5 & 7 year olds

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Help: 'Remote' campsite ideas for 6.5 & 7 year olds

Postby kelvinn » Sun 10 Oct, 2021 6:11 pm

Hi everyone,

I am hopeful somebody here might have some suggestions for new campsites to explore with my daughter (6.5yrs) and her friend (7yrs). We have probably spent about 25 nights camping in NSW/ACT, so have seen most campsites needing a reservation, and many common ones where you don't (e.g. Ridge Top, Brooklyn Dam).

Although I am perfectly content when going solo with camping wherever, that doesn't work so well with kids :(

Constraints

- Within let's say 2hr drive of the Sydney CBD.
- Strong preference for some remoteness, so 5+ km hike from anywhere you can park. The fewer the people the better.
- Within about 12km of a road or train station. Both of the kids can do 15km depending on the trail difficulty, yet around 10 - 12km is the sweet spot right now.
- Preference for water nearby if possible so we can filter.
- Preference for a place with soil that allows pegs to go in: we'll have a freestanding tent, non-freestanding, and semi-freestanding.
- Legal places only (and we don't do fires)

Currently considering for the next trip (this weekend)...

- Pindar Cave. Last time I went there a bunch of people were having a super loud party and it was quite off-putting; not great if kids were trying to go to sleep.
- A few small areas by 'Top Of The World' along Taffys Rock Track, but not certain if enough space. I've camped further up the track in the woods and it was OK, yet no room for kids to play.

Any ideas? Appreciate any suggestions.
kelvinn
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Help: 'Remote' campsite ideas for 6.5 & 7 year olds

Postby crollsurf » Sun 10 Oct, 2021 6:29 pm

Neither are remote but...

Little Beach on the Central Coast is a good one. Need to book and take a wheelbarrow also to lug the gear.

The Basin in the Kuringai is a winner as well. Catch the ferry from Palm Beach. Lots of tame Wallaby and bird life. Just make sure the Kookaburras don't steal your snags.

Both have good walking/exploring around

Pindar and Taffy's might be too hard at that age.
Last edited by crollsurf on Sun 10 Oct, 2021 6:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Sun 10 Oct, 2021 6:31 pm

Emmett's Flat at the bottom of starlight's track (in the Nattai)? Can swim in the river as well :)

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wildwanderer » Sun 10 Oct, 2021 7:16 pm

kelvinn wrote:Hi everyone,

I am hopeful somebody here might have some suggestions for new campsites to explore with my daughter (6.5yrs) and her friend (7yrs).

A couple suggestions.
1. Great North walk. Is a nice unoffical campsite on the ridge to the north of berowra waters. On the Hawkesbury track. Will have to carry water up from Berowra waters or in from Cowan depending on where you start from.

2. Ruined castle campsite on the federal pass track, Blue mountains. Is water there. Not far if starting from golden stairs.

Walk_fat boy_walk wrote:Emmett's Flat at the bottom of starlight's track (in the Nattai)? Can swim in the river as well :)

Just don't swallow the water.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Sun 10 Oct, 2021 7:52 pm

wildwanderer wrote:
Just don't swallow the water.

Yes not the river itself but troys Creek at the western end of the flat is just fine

Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Snooze » Sun 10 Oct, 2021 8:19 pm

The grassy, park-like Deep Pass campground in Wollemi NP (through Clarence via Bell's Line, crossing at the ZigZag railway) might suit you. There is clean running water you should still probably filter or boil. There are actually two access roads to DP, leading to two shortish (about 1 km long) somewhat steep, downhill walking tracks. From memory the south one is better for non-4WD vehicles, but the track from the north one's parking area is shorter. National Parks generously constructed a lovely toilet there, but AFAIK it is currently padlocked, so maybe bring a spade. The only other infrastructure I remember there was some some solid log benches, arranged in a square, possibly made by scouts. There are delightful resident wombats. AFAIK there is no phone reception.

Edit: just re-read your post mentioning your kids are happy to walk 10 to 12 kms. You could base your camp at DP and switch to daypacks and walk up or downstream the creek there. The scenery (like most of Wollemi) is very beautiful. My experience generally in NSW has been, once you get away from the carpark, even just 1 km away, there's not many people about (although I always avoid weekends and public school hols.)
Snooze
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby jonnosan » Sun 10 Oct, 2021 8:58 pm

I would also recommend Deep Pass as a great spot for kids, although can get a bit crowded. Also it's in Lithgow LGA which I think wont be open for visitors from inside Greater Sydney for a few more weeks.

Ingar is a great spot with a billabong which you used to be able to drive to via Wentworth Falls but can now only access on foot (the recommended way being via Bedford fire trail from Woodford - 10KM of fire trail walking, with a few hills). https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/ca ... campground
jonnosan
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby kelvinn » Mon 11 Oct, 2021 7:00 am

Thank you everyone! Some terrific ideas here, and especially ones to add after we're allowed to leave Greater Sydney.

Emmetts Flat is on the list now, although I don't remember any nice plush grassy camping areas when I went through there in Dec 2019. Added Ingar, too, and Deep Pass when wanting something a bit lazier.

@wildwanderer - we (the adults) have done Mt Solitary, and would like to take them, but that's probably just a little too steep for them right now. Ruined Castle might be a good compromise. Thanks!

Appreciate the suggestions so far, and welcome any additional contributions.
kelvinn
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby wildwanderer » Mon 11 Oct, 2021 5:09 pm

kelvinn wrote:
@wildwanderer - we (the adults) have done Mt Solitary, and would like to take them, but that's probably just a little too steep for them right now. Ruined Castle might be a good compromise. Thanks!

Yep.i think ruined castle is a good compromise.

Though..the kids might surprise you with their ability to climb big hills.. a couple of years back I saw two kids about 5-7 years walking easily down the track towards Chinamans gully. I couldn't see any adults near by so I asked them where their parents were. To my surprise they told me their parents couldn't keep up and they had left them on the climb up solitary.. :shock:

I told them they should go back and wait for them at the top of the climb, which they did. Was a bit shocked to see kids of such young age by themselves in a relatively remote area but goes to show youngsters can be very fit and leave adults in the dust.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby kelvinn » Mon 11 Oct, 2021 6:14 pm

Yea, their energy is sometimes a surprise. I have no doubts that Ruined Castle would be doable, yet going up Mt Solitary is more questionable. Nice story about the other little kids walking ahead - we'd just load them up with more water or supplies if they tried to do that!
kelvinn
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby puredingo » Tue 12 Oct, 2021 8:11 am

Anywhere touched by the fires more than likely won’t have plush, grassy grounds anymore. Basically you will find weed beds, tree fall and pig rutting BUT check out Griffins farm on the Merylla Rd should be doable for youngens with plenty of exploring opportunities and swimming toboot.
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Snooze » Wed 13 Oct, 2021 5:23 pm

check out Griffins farm on the Merylla Rd

Isn't that part of the NP still closed from the bushfires? (Hopefully not for much longer.)
Snooze
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby clarence » Thu 14 Oct, 2021 8:22 pm

Badgerys Spur and Long Point on the Shoalhaven are excellent for this type of activity with kids, as long as they are willing to hike back out up the hill.

I second the Griffins Farm option.

Clarence
Last edited by clarence on Sun 17 Oct, 2021 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clarence
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby kelvinn » Fri 15 Oct, 2021 7:57 am

Griffins Farm looks like an ideal fit - top of list for the next trip after I figure out if the track is open or not. Parts of Morton National Park are now open, but Griffins walking track is not on the list.

Thank you everyone!
kelvinn
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby corker » Sun 17 Oct, 2021 8:55 pm

There's a nice grassy spot on Breakfast Creek. I've always thought I'd like to camp there, but never have. Park at Dunphy's carpark and walk down Carlons creek, then about 2km down Breakfast Creek.
corker
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby kelvinn » Mon 18 Oct, 2021 3:32 pm

FYI here's the response about Giffin's Fire Trail:

Griffin’s Fire Trail is still closed.
Current covid working restrictions are slowing all planned works, including bush re-growth from fires on fire trails, which is a priority and needs to be cleared from all fire trails before this fire season. Drainage and some road work are also planned for Griffiths fire trail.

The fire trail will remain closed until all repair work is complete, we appreciate your patience and request that you abide by the closure signs.

@corker - ah yea, I know what spot you're talking about - thank you for the reminder. Forgot about that one!
kelvinn
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to New South Wales & ACT