Fastest way to Long Plain from Sydney

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Fastest way to Long Plain from Sydney

Postby sodahiker » Tue 08 Feb, 2022 11:44 am

Hi everyone

I'm keen to hike around the Blue Waterholes campground area near Long Plain, and I live in Sydney. Directions all seem to take me all the way around via Yarrangobilly which is a long drive.

Just wondering if there's a way to reduce the amount of driving even if I have to hike in an extra 10-15km. Studying the map, I can see the Mount Franklin road might be faster to reach (coming in to the north), and then walk in, but there's no direct track to Long Plain area from the trailhead at the gate.

From the south, it might be possible to park at the trailhead of Lone Pine track and walk north up the track. It's faster to drive to Lone Pine gate than going to Yarrangobilly.

Another option is Orroral and then it's a really long walk along the Aus Alps track, westwards.

Which of these options do you think are best, and am I missing anything? In terms of - which are the better walks, which have better spots to leave the car, fire damage, anything to be concerned about? Any other good options?

Thanks
sodahiker
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Fastest way to Long Plain from Sydney

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Tue 08 Feb, 2022 3:56 pm

None of those walking options are quicker than driving to BWH campground (some are a few days longer haha). Mt. Franklin road would be either down Harrys Spur (then a bush bash) or up to Leura Gap/down to Pockets Hut - both multi-day walks. The driving directions via Yarrongobilly are by far the quickest.
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sodahiker » Wed 09 Feb, 2022 1:10 pm

Yeah I know they will be multi-day, but in this case it's fine - I want to walk for 2/3 days around that area, so I'm just trying to minimise the driving time.
sodahiker
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Postby GregG » Wed 09 Feb, 2022 3:00 pm

sodahiker wrote:Yeah I know they will be multi-day, but in this case it's fine - I want to walk for 2/3 days around that area, so I'm just trying to minimise the driving time.

Same here sodahiker, I've often had the same thought whilst enjoying the delights of L ong Plain and environs but the roadmakers have let us down badly in this regard, a road running due west from Michelago would be nice :) . WFBW is correct, best cost/benefit timewise is to drive to one's base camp at Blue Waterholes or Ghost Camp or wherever and spend the available time walking. Currango Homestead is also another good base site. My favourite spot for peace and quiet and a choice location is Millers Hut. Personally I wouldn't camp at Blue Waterholes because of the feral horse plague but I havent been there. since 2018 so maybenot so bad now.
GregG
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Old bushie
Region: New South Wales

Postby Xplora » Thu 10 Feb, 2022 6:28 am

It is about 4 hrs from Sydney to Gundagai and then another hour and half to Long Plain (111km). How much quicker do you need it to be? It is what it is and you are not going shave off hours any other way unless you can fly. Get an early start and you could be there before lunch. The roads are good from Tumut.
GregG wrote: Personally I wouldn't camp at Blue Waterholes because of the feral horse plague but I havent been there. since 2018 so maybe not so bad now.

Worse now. Horses invading the campsites regularly and some reports of damage. It is still a nice spot though. The caves are good to explore also but the area can get very busy with car campers. Plenty of people from the ACT go there for the weekend because it is close.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby crollsurf » Thu 10 Feb, 2022 4:19 pm

The difference between driving in via Cooma or Tumut is minimal. I visit Cooma enough times so I'd go via Tumut for something different.

Blue Waterhole Campground gets insanely crowded now they built the bridge over the creek. And it was busy before that. Weekends and holidays should be avoided at all costs.

And don't think for one moment because you booked, there'll be a space for you. Rangers don't police it. Maybe best to plan a short hike and setup camp away from the madness.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby GBW » Thu 10 Feb, 2022 6:30 pm

Pockets Hut is only 2-3 hours easy walking from BWH, gets you away from the hordes and also puts you within reach of Oldfields or Bimberi as an overnighter. I've camped at Magpie Flats which was empty on arrival but the next day 20 or so motorbikes arrived so it was off to explore the Nichols Gorge then onto Old Currango. Getting there from Sydney I'd go down the Hume.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Mcspud » Sun 13 Feb, 2022 9:35 am

I don’t want to put you off as Blue Water Holes is beautiful but…..the horses here are terrible. Most of the waterways are heavily damaged and polluted. I was at Bill Jones hut last week and people are actually dropping off salt lick blocks for the horses.
From north Tantangara to Kiandra is a horse fest of the worst kind. I counted over 200 on the plain.
I’ve even had a tent trampled during the day as the horses search for food. Friends had there tent smashed at Blue Waterholes too.
At Witses I got little sleep as the horses were bashing there hooves close by throughout the night.
Mcspud
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia

Return to New South Wales & ACT