Sassafras to Folly Point Return in a Day

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Sassafras to Folly Point Return in a Day

Postby bushnut » Wed 30 Mar, 2022 12:12 pm

Hi Everyone,

Interested to get some thoughts on whether its possible to do Sassafras to Folly Point return in day? I would be using a bike for the firetrail bit.

Now I know that what is 'possible' varies person to person but I am pretty fit and happy to start early and finish in the dark!

Any advice is appreciated.

Dan
bushnut
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: Sassafras to Folly Point Return in a Day

Postby sandym » Wed 30 Mar, 2022 4:53 pm

For a fit person with a bike that should be no problem. Last report on the track (where it branches from the firetrail) was that it was tricky to follow in spots due to regrowth.
sandym
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Wed 30 Mar, 2022 8:52 pm

No problem at all with an early start, assuming you're ok with nav. Route isn't always obvious off the fire trail.... much quicker post-fires (noting above comment re sections of regrowth). Can collect water just after the track splits between the lookout and campsite on the point itself (hundred metres or so towards the campsite after the junction.... from the same creek that ultimately runs through the campsite). Really good day trip :)

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby bushnut » Thu 31 Mar, 2022 9:23 am

Thanks all! Sounds like a good option.

I'm ok with nav. I use Motion-X GPS on an iPhone with the NSW Topo maps. Absolutely amazing - worked perfectly even in the valleys around Kanangra. Of course I always carry hard copy maps and compass too :)

Can anyone share any info on the Sassafras campground? Do yo need to book? What facilities are there?
bushnut
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby sandym » Thu 31 Mar, 2022 10:38 am

Is there still a campground at Sassafras? No sign of it when we went past November 2021. I would try and check condition of the road if I were you, although the Ulladulla office never answer the telephone or return calls so that could be challenging. It was not a great road when we went in November and all the rain since has me wondering. If you have not been before the entrance is easy to drive past as there is no sign visible. If you just want to kip for a night the trailhead or just along the fire trail from the trail head will be fine as long as you do not need any facilities.

Here is a link to Huntsman's last report on Folly Point: https://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... nt#p428248
sandym

Postby OutdoorsOvernight » Fri 15 Apr, 2022 10:07 pm

It's a great walk. I thoroughly enjoyed my trip there about a year ago now.
Was hard slog through the re-growth. I was videoing my trip and using a bike on the firetrail, Took me 4.5 hours of moving time to get to follys to camp for the night. But that said the return only took 3.5.

regarding the camp ground, it's about 200m down the track from where you park the car. Was still there but grass had some good length to it when I walked past.
OutdoorsOvernight
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to New South Wales & ACT