Yadboro Flat access

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Yadboro Flat access

Postby Hoojar » Tue 24 May, 2022 2:54 pm

Has anyone been to Yadboro Flat recently? The Forestry websites says it is '4WD only,' but I'd love some information newer than 9 February. I am taking some friends camping there and then up Pigeon House.

https://www.forestrycorporation.com.au/ ... dboro-road

Thanks!

Update: The NPWS website lists Pigeon House as closed. I rang the local office, and they were surprised it is closed, suspect it is due to the roads, and could give no time fram on reopening.

https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/th ... cal-alerts
Hoojar
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Yadboro Flat access

Postby sandym » Tue 24 May, 2022 4:36 pm

That page you linked with the list of closed parks has been like that for months. There is no evidence of closure at 4 or 5 of the parks on the list that I have been to in the last month or so. I would ignore it. I think it is NPWS doing their usual CYA stuff. We just have not had that much rain lately and closing every "unsealed track and trail" is silly as all the tracks are unsealed because they are tracks!

But, I have no recent knowledge of the road into Long Gully and it has been getting rougher and rougher.
sandym
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby emydura » Tue 24 May, 2022 6:33 pm

I tried to drive into Long Gully along the Western Distribution Road on the ANZAC day weekend. Got about half way down where the road was closed. So we ended up driving to Wog Wog and walking from there for a few days. I am not sure if you can get in from the coast road to Pigeon House.

I went to Long Gully carpark last October and you seriously needed a 4WD for the last few kms. With all the rain since, I suspect it is worse.
emydura
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby _Kj » Tue 24 May, 2022 9:07 pm

Access to Long gully via the western distributor road will probably be out for some time, at least one bridge was lost there

https://www.forestrycorporation.com.au/ ... -is-closed

Surprised NPWS haven't put something up for that yet.
_Kj
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby emydura » Wed 25 May, 2022 8:53 pm

_Kj wrote:Access to Long gully via the western distributor road will probably be out for some time, at least one bridge was lost there

https://www.forestrycorporation.com.au/ ... -is-closed

Surprised NPWS haven't put something up for that yet.

Thanks for that link. We didn't drive all the way to this washed out bridge. There was a sign way back warning that the road was closed. Still it would have been nice if there was a sign at the Kings Highway turnoff as we had driven a fair way before finding out we had to turn back.
emydura
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Suz » Sun 20 Nov, 2022 7:46 am

Just wondering if there are any updates since May on access? I have a 2wd hatch so looking for an easy way to access hikes in the area - hopefully in about 3 weeks time.
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Hughmac » Sun 20 Nov, 2022 6:58 pm

You'd have no issues accessing Wog Wog, which will give you access to plenty of good walking. Would need to do a multi-day hike to make the most of it though.
Hughmac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby _Kj » Sun 20 Nov, 2022 7:26 pm

NPWS & forestry both have Yardboro Rd & Western distributor closed.

I'd expect Western distributor to be out for some time to come, NPWS are keeping these alerts updated for access on the Yardboro side
https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/th ... cal-alerts

Applies from Fri 23 Sep 2022, 11.54am to Wed 23 Nov 2022, 4.00pm. Last reviewed: Wed 16 Nov 2022, 11.43am.

Closed areas: Yadboro Road closed

Yadboro Road in Budawang National Park is closed until further notice due to severe weather.
Access to the following areas are also affected:
Pigeon House Mountain
Blue Gum Flat
Long Gully
_Kj
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby sandym » Mon 21 Nov, 2022 5:12 am

That "severe weather" warning has been up for almost two months. Classic NPWS CYA.

Best thing to do is try and call but the Ulladulla office never answers the telephone or returns calls so that is a difficulty.
sandym

Postby Suz » Tue 22 Nov, 2022 7:54 am

Thanks guys, I guess I'll just enter via Wog Wog then :D
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby odnuas » Fri 21 Apr, 2023 11:26 am

Hi all,

Just bumping this one. I'm assuming the bridge on Western Distributor that was damaged is still out but just wondered whether anyone could confirm that? Have tried internet and calls to councils and didn't get anywhere.

Thanks in advance!

David
odnuas
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby RasAlt3 » Fri 21 Apr, 2023 12:29 pm

Not sure which bridge you mean but we went into Monolith Valley via Long Gully Campground over Easter and had no issues driving the main road from Milton all the way there. The Long Gully Campground itself is a construction site but most people were still parking in the usual carpark.
RasAlt3
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby odnuas » Fri 21 Apr, 2023 2:04 pm

Sorry - meant the bridge that was washed out on the Western Distributor that prevented access to Yadboro/Long Gully from the Kings Highway end
odnuas
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Ian BR » Fri 05 May, 2023 4:35 am

Hi. there is a major bridge completely washed out on the Western Distributor road 21 kms in from the Kings Hwy. it will be out for a long time i think. i believe some people have found a way around it using local forestry roads.
Ian BR
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby creeping_moses » Sun 07 May, 2023 4:34 pm

If you do go down the Western Distributor Road from the King's Highway, then turn right at Wallaby Road (its signed), then stay left onto Lyons Road (again signed), then stay left onto Clyde Ridge Road for quite some way (including a crossing of the Clyde river), then left onto Yadboro Road you will get to Yadboro Flats and can go onto Long Gully Campsite. It is faster from the East (i.e. Milton), however. This was open and passable in 2WD on ANZAC day this year.
creeping_moses
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Return to New South Wales & ACT