Guthega PS to Kosciusko

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Guthega PS to Kosciusko

Postby Rlgm12 » Tue 28 Jun, 2022 9:32 am

Hey All,

returning to the forum after absent years.

Looking for advice for NSW as I am a Victorian and unaware of the territory.

Looking to complete a 6 day Hike.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wondering whether it is possible to complete the following:

Start: Guthega Power Station

North to Horse Camp Hut

West to Consett Pass

Dropping south to Kosciuszko via Mt. Twynams, Muellers pass

Finishing: with an exit to Charlottes Pass or Threadbo pending transport solutions.

Screenshot 2022-06-28 092411.png
Route Rough

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
my principal questions are:

1. Are there any considerations to the crossing from Consett Stephen Pass down towards Blue Lake?

2. Alternative Ideas for a nice tour of the area? Such as this: https://www.trailhiking.com.au/hikes/au ... est-peaks/

3. Early July, Enough snow on the main range to dig in and wild camp?

Keep well all,
RM
Rlgm12
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Re: Guthega PS to Kosciusko

Postby Zapruda » Tue 28 Jun, 2022 10:30 am

July is either skis or snowshoes up on the range. Hiking won’t be enjoyable or even possible at that elevation.

You aren’t going to have a good time heading up to the Rolling Ground from Horse Camp. Thick scrub and plenty of fallen trees. It will be made worse because of the snow. The best way up to the Rolling Ground is via the old double track near Whites River Hut. Even in snow it’s an easy and relatively open ascent. Another option is heading up to the RG below Docky Cooper Bogong but I’d personally stick with my first suggestion.

Alternatively, start at Guthega damn and head up toward Guthega trig, CSP, Mt Tate and beyond.

No issues between Consett Stephens Pass to Blue Lake following the divide. It’s a well used route in both summer and winter. There is a good chance that the ridges will be covered in packed and icy snow. This could potentially be dangerous if you aren’t experienced in snow travel.

Just to reiterate, early July will have plenty of snow. If you are looking for a hike, look elsewhere at this time of year.

Finally, winter time equals winter weather. Heavy and cold winds, white out conditions, snow, blizzards etc. if you aren’t comfortable with the possibility of these conditions then avoid the Main Range at this time of the year.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Rlgm12 » Tue 28 Jun, 2022 11:02 am

Zapruda,

Thank you for your prompt response. We are well equipped and prepared for snow conditions.

I like your suggestion of starting at Guthega Dam. Is there a Bus service from Jindabyne to Guthega?

Hoping to leave the car in Jindabyne.
Rlgm12
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby crollsurf » Tue 28 Jun, 2022 11:31 am

Rlgm12 wrote:Zapruda,
...Is there a Bus service from Jindabyne to Guthega?

https://snowlinkshuttle.com.au/winter-transport/private-transfers-to-the-snowy-mountains/
There are others as well. There is also one that departs from Canberra. Have no idea of what any of them are like but they are definitely running as I've seen their vans on the road.

Another option would be to park at Bullocks Flat (no park fees) and get the ski tube (~$100 return/person) to Blue Cow and walk across to Guthega from there. On skis, it's traverse. Maybe walk/traverse back to Perisher for the return trip.

If timing is flexible, best to look for a weather window. The weather up there can be extreme for extended periods of time.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Zapruda » Tue 28 Jun, 2022 11:31 am

Thank you for your prompt response. We are well equipped and prepared for snow conditions.

I like your suggestion of starting at Guthega Dam. Is there a Bus service from Jindabyne to Guthega?

My pleasure and apologies for stating the obvious re conditions.

There is a new bus service from Jindabyne to the resorts (Thredbo or Perisher) but not to Guthega. $20 return by the look of it.

You could make a loop from either Perisher or Thredbo or even get dropped off at Perisher head to toward Guthega and leave from Thredbo.

https://cooma-coaches.checkfront.com/re ... =wordpress
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby sandym » Tue 28 Jun, 2022 5:08 pm

Zapruda wrote:You aren’t going to have a good time heading up to the Rolling Ground from Horse Camp. Thick scrub and plenty of fallen trees. It will be made worse because of the snow. The best way up to the Rolling Ground is via the old double track near Whites River Hut. Even in snow it’s an easy and relatively open ascent. Another option is heading up to the RG below Docky Cooper Bogong but I’d personally stick with my first suggestion.

Interesting. Is this post-fires? A year before the fires we went up a gentle east facing ridge leaving from the surge tower/gate house marked on the map at Guthega and it was a pleasant and easy ski to the ridge and then a pleasant ridge ramble along to the Rolling Grounds.
sandym
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Zapruda » Tue 28 Jun, 2022 5:36 pm

sandym wrote:
Zapruda wrote:You aren’t going to have a good time heading up to the Rolling Ground from Horse Camp. Thick scrub and plenty of fallen trees. It will be made worse because of the snow. The best way up to the Rolling Ground is via the old double track near Whites River Hut. Even in snow it’s an easy and relatively open ascent. Another option is heading up to the RG below Docky Cooper Bogong but I’d personally stick with my first suggestion.

Interesting. Is this post-fires? A year before the fires we went up a gentle east facing ridge leaving from the surge tower/gate house marked on the map at Guthega and it was a pleasant and easy ski to the ridge and then a pleasant ridge ramble along to the Rolling Grounds.

Interesting. My few attempts up and down that area have always been a messy affair. Last time down was Sept last year. I’ll try and dig up my gpx from that trip and share it. I’d love to know which way you went exactly. It would be a good alternative to the Whites route.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Rlgm12 » Fri 01 Jul, 2022 11:28 am

Zapruda wrote:

There is a new bus service from Jindabyne to the resorts (Thredbo or Perisher) but not to Guthega. $20 return by the look of it.

You could make a loop from either Perisher or Thredbo or even get dropped off at Perisher head to toward Guthega and leave from Thredbo.

What is the walk from Perisher to Guthega through to White River hut like?
Rlgm12
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Rlgm12 » Fri 01 Jul, 2022 11:31 am

crollsurf wrote:
...Is there a Bus service from Jindabyne to Guthega?

https://snowlinkshuttle.com.au/winter-transport/private-transfers-to-the-snowy-mountains/
There are others as well. There is also one that departs from Canberra. Have no idea of what any of them are like but they are definitely running as I've seen their vans on the road.

Another option would be to park at Bullocks Flat (no park fees) and get the ski tube (~$100 return/person) to Blue Cow and walk across to Guthega from there. On skis, it's traverse. Maybe walk/traverse back to Perisher for the return trip.

If timing is flexible, best to look for a weather window. The weather up there can be extreme for extended periods of time.

My understanding was that to park at Bullocks Flat cost ~$27 a day. Is this incorrect?
Rlgm12
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Rlgm12 » Fri 01 Jul, 2022 11:32 am

The current plan is to now park at Dead Horse Gap and hike up the usual way.

Is parking there still permitted?

Thank you all for contributing!
Rlgm12
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby crollsurf » Fri 01 Jul, 2022 2:55 pm

Rlgm12 wrote:My understanding was that to park at Bullocks Flat cost ~$27 a day. Is this incorrect?

It's free to park at Bullocks Flat. https://www.perisher.com.au/plan-your-trip/new-to-perisher/skitube
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zapruda » Fri 01 Jul, 2022 3:15 pm

Rlgm12 wrote:
Zapruda wrote:

What is the walk from Perisher to Guthega through to White River hut like?

What is your proposed route?
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Zapruda » Fri 01 Jul, 2022 3:24 pm

Rlgm12 wrote:The current plan is to now park at Dead Horse Gap and hike up the usual way.

Is parking there still permitted?

Thank you all for contributing!

Parking is permitted at both Cascades and Dead Horse during winter. Although they were both closed during the winters of 2020 and 21. Perhaps give the Jindabyne NPWS office a call to confirm. Be mindful of the snowplow, don’t park toward the edge of the road. Pack a shovel just in case.

On the Alpine way and Kosciuszko Rd It’s a requirement to carry snow chains in the car at all times if you own a 2wd. It’s not a requirement to carry them if you have a AWD/4WD but still good to have them just in case. They can be rented in Jindabyne.

Winter park entry fees are $29 per day now. Or a yearly Nat Park Pass is $190.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT