remote campsite or bush camping

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

remote campsite or bush camping

Postby Channas » Wed 31 Aug, 2022 8:41 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm just wondering if anyone could give me tips on what areas or tracks to look for to find lovely remote bush camping places with magical vibes where I could spend some solo solitary time to meditate and write. The only problem is that I don't have a car and I'm looking to access it from a train station. Although, I was thinking of possibly taking some cheap bike to cycle to the start of a track if needed. Any ideas?
Channas
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: remote campsite or bush camping

Postby jonnosan » Wed 31 Aug, 2022 10:14 pm

Hi Channas
There's a bunch of good walks listed on http://www.wildwalks.com/ including many that are accesible by train

Currently quite a lot of campsites in the upper Blue Mountains are inaccesible because of landslides etc from recent flooding. But there are some great spots in the mid to lower mountains - I would suggest in particular checking out some walks starting at the Victory Track at Faulconbridge station, there are different routes starting there that will let you finish at Springwood, Blaxland or Glenbrook. One thing though is you should carry enough water for the whole trip (or very heavily treat anything you take from a creek) as mostly the creeks in that area are full of urban runoff.
jonnosan
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Channas » Thu 01 Sep, 2022 6:26 am

Thanks for the tip. Although I was thinking of something off the main track or less touristy? Forgotten or less popular tracks where unlikely to encounter other walkers.
Channas
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby tom_brennan » Thu 01 Sep, 2022 6:00 pm

It depends a bit on your priorities. Do you want solitude, or a good campsite?

If solitude, then it's not hard to wander away from the tracks and find a spot. It might not be the best camping, but you'll likely have it to yourself.

The area south of Glenbrook Creek, around St Helena Gully is good for this. There are tracks along the ridges, but head off to the minor cliffs and no-one will bother you.

In the upper mountains, the Asgard Plateau, or Bald Head Ridge are worth a look. You might want a bike for these.
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT