Breakfast creek, coxs, mt dingo, blackhorse conditions

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Breakfast creek, coxs, mt dingo, blackhorse conditions

Postby strifetime » Sun 18 Sep, 2022 7:56 pm

I’m think about spending a few days around the Coxs in a couple of weeks. Something like Dunphys -> Carlons -> Breakfast creek -> Coxs -> Knights -> Dingo -> Blackhorse and back out via Ironmonger or Carlons depending on how much light we have left on the third day. Someone told me that regrowth on Carlons made it impassible, but that was a couple of years ago after the fires. What are conditions like at the moment? Is it easier to come in via Medlow Gap?
strifetime
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Breakfast creek, coxs, mt dingo, blackhorse conditions

Postby jonnosan » Mon 19 Sep, 2022 5:32 am

I did a trip down Carlons Creek and up Bellbird a few months ago. The floods have washed out the track in a few places, although there were new footpads forming. A bit slower going than on previous trips but definately not impassable. But Bellbird ridge had very thick scrub.
jonnosan
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby irrgent » Tue 20 Sep, 2022 8:22 pm

A few months ago I attempted to do go to Knights Deck via Breakfast Creek and Cattle Dog. Breakfast Creek was fine. A few sections where there had been landslides that you had to negotiate but otherwise relatively easy going. The climb up Cattle Dog ridge was also mostly fine and free of scrub until near the end. Once you had reached the top of the spur and were on the ridge line however there was unrelenting and very dense scrub. Young trees growing very close together made forward progress very slow and frustrating while long grass would wrap around your ankles and get you stuck while trying to push through the dense stands of wattle. We gave up on Knights Deck after only a small amount of time scrub bashing as it was quite unpleasant and also assuming it didn't get any better it was going to take a very long time to complete the walk. We instead headed south then east towards the K2K route below Mt Warrigal. The track is still easy to follow but is at times walled on either side by very dense regrowth so you won't see the track until you are standing right on it.

I'm not particularly keen to head back out there any time soon. It's a shame as it used to be one of my favorite areas to explore. I would be interested in hearing if conditions are any different in other nearby areas. My thinking is that it will be pretty bad in most places. If heading out there definitely allow a lot of extra time.
irrgent
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby strifetime » Sat 24 Sep, 2022 5:17 pm

Thanks fellas. We're going to give it a go. If it's impassible we'll explore the creek and river for a day or so and turn around.
strifetime
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Chamullo » Fri 21 Oct, 2022 7:02 am

strifetime wrote:Thanks fellas. We're going to give it a go. If it's impassible we'll explore the creek and river for a day or so and turn around.

Hi Strifetime,

Just wondering if you have time for a quick trip report? Thinking about heading to that area in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers!
Chamullo
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to New South Wales & ACT