Valentine Hut

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Valentine Hut

Postby woyapp1 » Wed 26 Oct, 2022 8:09 am

Hi all
Heading up to Valentine this weekend and wondering if anyone has been up there recently? Mostly I'm wondering if I need to take snowshoes.
woyapp1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Valentine Hut

Postby Zapruda » Wed 26 Oct, 2022 10:12 am

If you are just following the Schlink road and Valentine trail you will be fine. No snowshoes needed.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby glenpandrews » Sun 13 Nov, 2022 3:05 pm

Going for an out and back run there to Valentines Hit and back on Wednesday, up via the aqueduct trail and back via disappointment spur. Going to be cold!
glenpandrews
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby woyapp » Mon 14 Nov, 2022 8:39 am

glenpandrews wrote:Going for an out and back run there to Valentines Hit and back on Wednesday, up via the aqueduct trail and back via disappointment spur. Going to be cold!

It was cold up there when I was there a few weeks ago, we spent maybe an hour walking on snow on the track, but it was also beautiful! Have fun and don't forget to have a dip in Valentine Creek :D
woyapp
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby rcaffin » Mon 14 Nov, 2022 6:39 pm

don't forget to have a dip in Valentine Creek :D

You mean bounce off the ice?

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Orbita_Serenitatem » Tue 15 Nov, 2022 1:32 pm

Thanks for having this as a topic.

I'm Heading to Valentine hut from Round Mountain this Thursday for a few days fishing (new experience for me). Im taking two mates who shared the Jagungal Wilderness area back in 1989 when we were 17 and in the Bendigo Outdoor Club.

Ive been back there twice (2015 & 2018 in November) - Mawson Hut, Kerries etc. Is there anything I should be aware of that is out of the ordinary re: amount of rain/creek crossings etc.?
Orbita_Serenitatem
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby johnrs » Tue 15 Nov, 2022 2:52 pm

Yes OS
the fish seem to be sparse and shy up so high,
please post a report.
John
johnrs
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby MeanderingFlyFisher » Wed 16 Nov, 2022 4:39 pm

Orbita_Serenitatem wrote:Thanks for having this as a topic.

I'm Heading to Valentine hut from Round Mountain this Thursday for a few days fishing (new experience for me). Im taking two mates who shared the Jagungal Wilderness area back in 1989 when we were 17 and in the Bendigo Outdoor Club.

Ive been back there twice (2015 & 2018 in November) - Mawson Hut, Kerries etc. Is there anything I should be aware of that is out of the ordinary re: amount of rain/creek crossings etc.?

Rivers would be very high and dirty at the moment for fishing but very interested in a report and a few snaps of the crossings to put it in perspective.
MeanderingFlyFisher
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 17 Nov, 2022 6:44 am

The rivers are probably high, precluding safe crossing of the Tumut River near Round Mountain, Geehi River north of Valentine Hut, and Valentine Creek near Valentine Hut. One option may be to go on the Toolong Range to Grey Mare Hut and use that as a base for fishing the Valentine below the falls or the Geehi. getting there has one feet wet crossing just before Grey Mare Hut, Back Flat Creek. Derschkos Hut is another possible base, not far from the Tumut.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Orbita_Serenitatem » Tue 22 Nov, 2022 9:22 pm

Hi all- quick hike report.
Three of us started 8am Thursday 17th from Melb and arrived Round Mt ~ 4pm and camped Tumut River /Farm Ridge crossing for night one. Excellent stars with clear sky - frost in the morning with Tumut knee high to cross.
Tumut.jpg
Tumut Camp

Tumut Cross.jpg
Tumut Crossing

Walked and snacked until Bogong Creek with great clear skies. Watched a red belly black choke down a big lizard by the banks while having pan cooked naan pizzas.
Bogong Pizza.jpg
Bogong Creek Pizza

Caught two trout (~15cm released and 30cm+ kept for dinner). Night camp at lovely O'Keefes Hut as base - pan fried and consumed trout with paella and a wishful Riesling...
Bogong Trout.jpg
Bogong Trout

Set out Sat 18th with rippling clouds to Grey Mares Hutl. Fished the ford tributary to Tooma River which was flowing fast - no fish. Hail on the Back Flat crossing to Grey Mares Hut - fished for ~1hr - no fish.

Back Flat.jpg
Back Flat Vista

Night camp at excellent Grey Mares Hut with apple pie. Plus a rough damper on a whittled stick turned over the fire, cut into thirds and spread with Nutella. I found a 'flat spot' behind the hut for Xmid and enjoyed the wind, hail and thunderstorm.
Grey Mare Damper.jpg
Grey Mare Damper

Sunday 20th - off to Derschkos Hut with full wet weather gear which remained on for the next two days. Fished the ford tributary to Tooma River with no luck as everything water-wise had been topped up throughout the night. Really enjoyed another lunch looking at Jagungal and the clouds streaming past the summit.
Back Flat 2.jpg

Hail and low cloud and arrived Derschkos Hut ~3.30pm. Dumped gear and fished Pugalistic Creek. No fish but such a great explore down the creek. My mate had his lure above the water and an inquisitive platypus came into full view - surprised - and ducked to safety. We went back to Derschkos and its hearty stove.
Pugalistic Creek1.jpg

I camped on the flat ~100m past the dunny. Seemed naturally protected from the very strong winds. Woke up encased in snow etc. on Monday morning.
XMidMonday.jpg

We walked back to Round Mt Car park with smiles as the wind howled hail and snow into us - better than being back in the office.
NPWS Barry Legend.jpg

Arrived at Round Mt car park ~12.30pm to a frozen ute with waxed diesel. Took the help of Barry, NPWS, to assist as we heated the fuel pump with boiled water to get the ute going ~3pm.

Corryong for three hamburgers with the lot and back the Melbourne.I caught the train to Ballan to arrive home ~1am. Absolutely satisfied!
Last edited by Orbita_Serenitatem on Fri 25 Nov, 2022 4:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Orbita_Serenitatem
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Wed 23 Nov, 2022 6:23 am

Thanks.
Last edited by north-north-west on Tue 29 Nov, 2022 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby rcaffin » Tue 29 Nov, 2022 7:01 pm

Trout - European, deliberately introduced into Tooma dam and river for fishing. Yeah, the fish farm breeds them and puts them out there so fishermen can catch them and kill them.

In the high rivers across KNP there are no introduced trout. So fishing any high rivers is a waste of time. It might be relaxing.
That said, there are fish in the high rivers: Galaxia sp, 25 - 50 mm long. They are skittish, but have been known to nibble toes.

Cheers
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT