Kanangra Boyd Trail Maintenance

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Kanangra Boyd Trail Maintenance

Postby TomPom » Wed 28 Dec, 2022 9:40 pm

So I'm gauging what the appetite is for some form of informal get together to conduct some trail maintenance on tracks in the K-BNP. Mainly the Uni Rover Trail. As many know, the post fire regrowth is pretty intense - I recently did a trip out to tuglow with the intention of exploring Chardon Canyon. Most of the mapped trails and even part of the 4x4 tracks are completely overgrown. And from what I've heard, most of the Uni Rover Trail is a jungle.
I've previously seen volunteer Trail maintenance conducted in the Kosciuszko NP and was wondering if anyone would be keen for the same in this regard? As I believe NPWS probably doesn't have an appetite for it.
Thoughts?
TomPom
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Kanangra Boyd Trail Maintenance

Postby Xplora » Thu 29 Dec, 2022 5:55 pm

TomPom wrote:So I'm gauging what the appetite is for some form of informal get together to conduct some trail maintenance on tracks in the K-BNP. Mainly the Uni Rover Trail. As many know, the post fire regrowth is pretty intense - I recently did a trip out to tuglow with the intention of exploring Chardon Canyon. Most of the mapped trails and even part of the 4x4 tracks are completely overgrown. And from what I've heard, most of the Uni Rover Trail is a jungle.
I've previously seen volunteer Trail maintenance conducted in the Kosciuszko NP and was wondering if anyone would be keen for the same in this regard? As I believe NPWS probably doesn't have an appetite for it.
Thoughts?

Welcome to the forum Tom. Informal and unsanctioned track maintenance is probably not something you should be sprouting on this forum. Land managers do work with volunteer groups regularly but better going through peak bodies such as BW NSW. Hannel's spur is an example of collaboration between NPWS and volunteers. Victoria has many examples as well. You cannot legally work on public land without authority from the land manager and there is a risk of a severe fine if you do. Uni Rover would be a good track to petition for some work and I would encourage you to pursue it. I can't help you with NSW connections but there will be someone here who can.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby TomPom » Thu 29 Dec, 2022 6:16 pm

Hi Xplora,

I was unaware of the formalities regarding track maintenance. Whilst out on my last walk I talked to a group of NPWS field officers working on the Kowmung River crossing. I asked about volunteer trail maintenance being run by NPWS and whether they knew of any intentions for NPWS to do anything regarding it. They knew nothing of it but commented on the condition of the Uni Rover Trail (amongst other trails) and suggested I buy a machete. So i figured this was the best place to ask how to go about such things! (Legally).
TomPom
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby ribuck » Fri 30 Dec, 2022 4:53 am

Wilf Hilder used to get away with doing his own track maintenance. He was happy to use secateurs within sight of NPWS staff. He put it to the rangers that if NPWS designated a track they had an obligation to maintain it as a track, and that NPWS couldn't possibly fine him for helping them to fix their shortcomings.

I wouldn't have the confidence or chutzpah to get away with this, but he did.

My approach would be to organise enough bushwalks on the affected tracks that a clear path developed. After all, our hobby is about bushwalking and not about cutting down the bush.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Xplora » Fri 30 Dec, 2022 5:16 am

TomPom wrote:Hi Xplora,
Whilst out on my last walk I talked to a group of NPWS field officers working on the Kowmung River crossing. I asked about volunteer trail maintenance being run by NPWS and whether they knew of any intentions for NPWS to do anything regarding it. They knew nothing of it but commented on the condition of the Uni Rover Trail (amongst other trails) and suggested I buy a machete.

Not unusual for workers not to know about these things unless they have been involved. Bushwalking Vic have a track clearing arm and some of the members of this forum are involved with that. Parks will send a couple of people to help with the work and oversee the clearing but the volunteers pretty much run the show from what I have seen. It took a while for Hannels spur to get any traction. The local crew at Khancoban thought people were dreaming when it was suggested to them. I think you just need the right contact in NPWS and being part of an affiliated group helps.

So the question would be, does Bushwalking NSW have the equivalent to the Vic BTAC crew?
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby DavidB » Fri 30 Dec, 2022 1:49 pm

The short answer to that is no. Some BNSW-affilated clubs have been helping with track maintenance for some years in various places in partnership with local NPWS staff. Pre-COVID BNSW contacted what was then NSW Crown Lands to undertake maintenance work on the Great North Walk. This was intended to be a pilot project and it was hoped to eventually expand it to other tracks and trails. We got one working bee completed before lockdowns arrived and the whole thing had to shut down. Since then BNSW has attempted to get a restart but has hit a brick wall. We need a champion within senior levels of the NSW Government to get behind it.

In the meantime we are looking for a member of an affiliated club (NSW or ACT) to join our Committee to take on Tracks and Access work. Anyone interested can contact me at president@bushwalkingnsw.org.au

David Bell
DavidB
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby roopass » Sun 01 Jan, 2023 7:52 am

Can give current report on bluedog ridge and yellowdog ridge trails, overgrowth really bad , wasn’t an enjoyable hike to splendour rock campsite, by the time I got to the junction for the climb up to SR, with a 12kilo pack on,..I was exhausted , first time hiking I’ve felt fearful that I really might take a fall.
roopass
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby msmithers » Tue 13 Jun, 2023 1:55 pm

I just came back from Splendour Rock and put a complaint in to NPWS about the Bluedog Ridge and Yellowdog Ridge trails. I lost count of the number of trees and logs across the track, and the overgrowth continues to get worse. I thought the polularity of Splendour Rock and K2K would be motivation for NPWS to do something, but they haven't touched these tracks in years. (I did the K2K in 2021 and it wasn't much better then.)
msmithers
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby msmithers » Thu 22 Jun, 2023 2:31 pm

So my mate and I each put in separate complaints to NPWS about lack of trail maintenance between Dunphys and Splendour Rock; specifically the Bluedog Ridge and Yellowdog Ridge trails which are part of the K2K. I received an email saying that my feedback had been passed to the local area office but the answer my mate received was very odd.

Thank you for contacting the Blue Mountains Heritage Centre, it is always great to get feedback from recent experiences on remote walking tracks in the National Parks. This area of Kanangra-Boyd National Park has been classified as declared wilderness, therefore track maintenance is not permitted and there are no plans to upgrade those tracks. Additionally, those trails are considered to be Grade 5 walking tracks, National Parks always recommend high level of navigational skills and taking necessary equipment, such as topographical maps, compasses and a safety beacon to these areas.

So I checked the official NSW maps at geo.seed.nsw.gov.au and sure enough, the tracks south of Medlow Gap are all park of the Kanagra-Boyd Wilderness Area.
msmithers
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Thu 22 Jun, 2023 4:03 pm

Yeah not surprised... they're not supposed to do trackwork in declared wilderness areas, although there have been exceptions (eg. in parts of the Budawangs?). But yeah unfortunately those tracks are formed by foot traffic, not track workers. Bit of a catch 22 given that the *&%$#! regrowth largely precludes walking, unless there are some masochists out there that want to push a path through (I jest... there may be a role for volunteer groups to help re-establish old routes).
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby clarence » Fri 23 Jun, 2023 4:04 am

Just do it TomPom. When have you ever seen a ranger in a "real" national park?

I worked for NPWS years ago. Unless you're out there with a chainsaw and 20 people, the chances of them finding out / being able to do anything / caring, are basically zero.

If you go through the sclerotic official government processes, you'd be lucky to get anything happening in 18 months- at best.

A case in point- in a NPWS reserve on South Coast of NSW mountainbikers are actively cutting in new tracks in high conservation areas. It is possible to follow their activities on strava on a day-by-day basis. I contacted a former colleague at NPWS regarding this. They were specifically told by NPWS managers NOT to not follow up on this trail construction.

I don't condone this sort of activity by the moutainbikers- but you get the idea.

in the big picture taking some secateurs, rakehoe and folding saw to maintain long establsihed tracks is hardly environmental vandalism. Tracks which have been established and used for decades is technically "cultural heritage"- and therefore maintaining/clearing them is part of the remit of land managers like NPWS.
clarence
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Rossbro » Fri 20 Oct, 2023 12:06 am

I'm up for it if anyone else is!! Clarence is right. Let's just do it and let's see how jungly the unirover trail is. Who's with me?

If you're interested send me a PM.

Ross
Rossbro
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia

Postby TomPom » Thu 02 Nov, 2023 4:08 pm

Sorry I've been lazy checking my post. Clarence that was my thinking, particularly after doing a bit of reading into the Kowmung Country and the historical trails there - maintaining the uni rover trail hardly amounts to environmental vandalism. Not everyone who is a capable walker/adventurer is a part of a bush walking club so I could imagine trying to gain traction with an organisation as bureaucratic as NPWS as a private walker would be impossible. I was really hoping they might have even conducted a low level hazard reduction burn through there by now, but no.

Having a large group "rediscover" an existing trail sounds like a great way to solve the problem (although I'm sure there are now party limits under the new management plan). Anyone up for a "stomp" down to the kowmung along the Uni Rover Trail?
TomPom
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby TomPom » Thu 02 Nov, 2023 4:35 pm

msmithers wrote:I just came back from Splendour Rock and put a complaint in to NPWS about the Bluedog Ridge and Yellowdog Ridge trails. I lost count of the number of trees and logs across the track, and the overgrowth continues to get worse. I thought the polularity of Splendour Rock and K2K would be motivation for NPWS to do something, but they haven't touched these tracks in years. (I did the K2K in 2021 and it wasn't much better then.)

I did this with some friends in 2021 and was amazed how thick it was. I always compare it to walking in a cornfield - the best walking we had was returning from splendour along the plateau to black horse gap. The walk from there down to the creek was intense. It's a shame the fires didn't get rid of the stinging nettle in Carlon's Creek!

It's no wonder even experienced walkers are experiencing difficulties out there though.
TomPom
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Rossbro » Tue 14 Nov, 2023 2:21 pm

TomPom wrote:Sorry I've been lazy checking my post. Clarence that was my thinking, particularly after doing a bit of reading into the Kowmung Country and the historical trails there - maintaining the uni rover trail hardly amounts to environmental vandalism. Not everyone who is a capable walker/adventurer is a part of a bush walking club so I could imagine trying to gain traction with an organisation as bureaucratic as NPWS as a private walker would be impossible. I was really hoping they might have even conducted a low level hazard reduction burn through there by now, but no.

Having a large group "rediscover" an existing trail sounds like a great way to solve the problem (although I'm sure there are now party limits under the new management plan). Anyone up for a "stomp" down to the kowmung along the Uni Rover Trail?

I am. TomPom I have sent you a PM. Ross
Rossbro
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia

Return to New South Wales & ACT