Great North Walk - Worth it?

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Great North Walk - Worth it?

Postby LizM » Wed 11 Jan, 2023 6:18 pm

Hi everyone,

First time posting, long time lurker. I am considering doing the Great North Walk next May, from Sydney walking to a conference in Newcastle. I live in Victoria and I did the same combo last year and it worked out great (Cape to Cape, WA). This one is a bit longer though and I've not hiked more than a week solo and tbh I was getting a bit sick of myself last time :lol:

Can I ask from anyone who has thru hiked the Great North Work, was it worth it, or should I be saving my leave an do something epic in Tassie (or even consider going on holiday with my family.... :shock: ).

Give it to me.
LizM
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Great North Walk - Worth it?

Postby Tortoise » Wed 11 Jan, 2023 8:36 pm

Hi Liz, and welcome out of the shadows.

(Oops, I'm not actually qualified to answer your question.) While I enjoyed doing most sections of the GNW, and would have liked to do it as a through hike, it's very hard indeed to pass up a potential opportunity for an epic in Tassie. I moved down here 17 years ago, and am sooooooooooo thankful I get to do so many of them. There are a large number of options that are far, far more special than the GNW, as much as I liked it when that was where I was living. The main advice I'd offer if you come here is to have 2 or 3 plans in different parts of the state. Then you can probably have an amazing walk in excellent conditions.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby LizM » Mon 16 Jan, 2023 9:45 am

Thanks so much for responding. Even if I don't do this walk something around Newcastle a week in length would be great. Trying to stay clear of the Blue Mountains for personal reasons and wasn't planning on hiring a car but happy to fork out for a taxi ride if need be... any ideas?
LizM
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Postby rcaffin » Wed 18 Jan, 2023 7:10 pm

We did not find the GNW hard. We started at the Berowra Ferry for logistics reasons, and went to the first railway station in Newcastle. Sue & I looked at all the houses, looked at each other, and said OK, home. Train back to Berowra.

I have no idea what the section from Sydney CBD to Thornleigh is like: too many houses, too much concrete and asphalt (and cars). Ditto from that railway station to Newcastle CBD.

It is interesting enough in many places. It goes through a huge range of ecosystems - always changing. We liked it. And I dare say the track marking may have improved since then - it was a shade patchy in places, but nothing to worry about.

Cheers
Roger Caffin
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby icemancometh » Mon 27 Feb, 2023 10:07 pm

Tassie is much nicer!
icemancometh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby tom_brennan » Tue 28 Feb, 2023 2:03 pm

rcaffin wrote:I have no idea what the section from Sydney CBD to Thornleigh is like: too many houses, too much concrete and asphalt (and cars).

Apart from the first 5km from Valentia St Wharf to Boronia Park, the rest of the section from the CBD to Thornleigh is on bush tracks.
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby DavidB » Tue 28 Feb, 2023 3:54 pm

It joins two big cities so its inevitable that the beginning and ending will pass through urban areas. Comparing it to walks in other states is liking comparing apples with oranges.
DavidB
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to New South Wales & ACT