Names in and around The Chasm (Nattai NP)

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Names in and around The Chasm (Nattai NP)

Postby tom_brennan » Sat 06 May, 2023 5:37 pm

I'm curious if there's any verifiability in the some of the names in and around The Chasm (Nattai NP) in Rocky Waterholes Creek.

The ones in red are based on Sloss, the ones in black/blue are off OpenStreetMap. Sloss has the Chasm Lookout a ridge (or two) away from where people have put it on OSM. Obviously none of these are official names, but I assume that clubs (Southern Highlands Bushwalkers?) that walk in the area would have the most knowledge of the generally accepted names. Anyone know anything?

nattai_wild_goat_QGIS.png

[You might need to click on the map - it's a bit fuzzy at the re-scaled resolution.]
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Names in and around The Chasm (Nattai NP)

Postby Allchin09 » Mon 08 May, 2023 2:58 pm

I suggest you ask the GNB, they should be able to give you a definitive answer :P

But on a serious note, would be interesting to see where the OSM data came from.

Are you trying to indicate that Sloss's 'Chasm Track' starts on that fire trial and then crosses over the Dome Track before descending down to the creek? And that he has both ' The Chasm Trail' and a 'Chasm Track' ?
Tackling the unknown and the awesome one adventure at a time!

Check out my latest trips at http://aoacblog.wordpress.com/posts
Allchin09
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Sydney Bush Walkers

Postby michael_p » Tue 09 May, 2023 3:38 pm

The whole naming thing around that area is a bit of a mess. Not sure why they have those names on OSM. Always thought the eastern most track was the Dome Track. Why it is also called the Chasm Track on OSM I have no idea. You could message the person who named it on OSM and ask.

Pretty sure most people (me included) know these tracks by the names that Sloss gave them in his guidebooks. If you remember he changed the names in the 3rd edition of his guidebook, not sure if this has had an affect on the naming choices on OSM.

Michael.
Last edited by michael_p on Fri 12 May, 2023 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby tom_brennan » Tue 09 May, 2023 5:08 pm

michael_p wrote:The whole naming thing around that area is a bit of a mess. Not sure why they have those names on OSM. Always thought the eastern most track was the Dome Track. Why it is also called the Chasm Track on OSM I have no idea. You could message the person who named it on OSM and ask.

Will do - but I thought it might be worth trying to get a bit more info from people on the ground. While I've done a fair bit of walking in the Nattai, it's mostly been fairly recent.

michael_p wrote:Pretty sure most people (me included) know these tracks by the names that Sloss gave them in his guidebooks. If you remember he changed the names in the 3rd edition of his guidebook, not sure if this has had an affect on the naming choices on OSM.

I don't actually have his guide(s) - I just have a pic of a map from one of the editions, don't even know which!!
Attachments
IMG_0305.jpg
IMG_0305.jpg (135.55 KiB) Viewed 1472 times
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT