Katoomba - Scenic Railway query

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Katoomba - Scenic Railway query

Postby Jasmine » Sat 17 Jun, 2023 8:59 pm

Hi all,

Does anyone know the current ticketing situation for the scenic railway in Katoomba? I want to do a simple walk that's not too exhausting, so planning to start at Echo Point, down the Giant Stairway, and then join thte Federal Pass track back along to the bottom of Scenic World, and use the railway to come back up to "civilization".

I believe it used to be possible to get a one way single ticket just for the railway, but can't find any mention of it on the Scenic World website anymore, and it all seems much more restrictive than it used to be, timed slots and all that fun stuff. Anyone tried this recently, and know what the current situation is on the ground? I don't feel like climbing 200+ metres of steps if I can avoid it!
Jasmine
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Katoomba - Scenic Railway query

Postby Xplora » Sun 18 Jun, 2023 7:08 am

It has been a very long time since I caught a lift up with either the train of the gondola thing but there was no provision to buy a ticket on entry at the bottom but could buy one on exit at the top. Best you give them a call. Sometimes they wanted money and other times they said don't worry about it.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby JohnnoMcJohnno » Sun 18 Jun, 2023 8:54 am

I've bought a one way ticket down recently, so they do still sell them, but I haven't caught a lift up in years. The last time I went one way up was many many years ago, and there was an extra charge for taking a big rucksack, but they just waved us through. Maybe you have to buy the ticket in advance to be sure.
JohnnoMcJohnno
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnrs » Sun 18 Jun, 2023 10:25 pm

Its variable Jasmine. There is a sign at the bottom saying no one way fares but often there is nobody checking when you alight at the top.
Otherwise its $50 I think. Very busy on weekends too. The Furber steps are immediately adjacent, they are a very pretty walk up but closed at the moment while relatively minor work is done on the path. I have heard there are no workers there at the weekend and that if you step over the barriers there are no physical obstructions on the walk up, its less than an hour to the the top.
John
johnrs
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby rathnew » Tue 20 Jun, 2023 2:18 pm

https://scenicworld.com.au/faqs

"NO ONE WAY OR SINGLE RIDE TICKETS ARE AVAILABLE” (their caps not mine!)
rathnew
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby johnrs » Tue 20 Jun, 2023 4:30 pm

If you get checked.................
johnrs

Postby FatCanyoner » Mon 26 Jun, 2023 10:31 am

They have definitely axed the one way tickets (I assume it's part of the effort to restore finances smashed by Covid lockdowns / no international tourists). I go there pretty regularly currently (live local and have small children who like the "steep train") and have seen multiple people get bailed up and forced to pay the full price at the top.
Comments like John's suggest it's been a few years since people have been there. These days there are turnstiles that won't move until you scan your wristband. They are monitored by staff. People who turn up without a band can't get out the gate and are made to pay.
It's a shame, given the business was built on the support of bushwalkers over the years. These days the place is so packed on weekends they have no need for bushwalkers business.
FatCanyoner
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.FatCanyoners.org www.CanyonGear.com.au

Return to New South Wales & ACT