Snowshoeing the Main Range in September

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Snowshoeing the Main Range in September

Postby Henry OShea » Mon 11 Sep, 2023 7:01 pm

I'm looking to do the main range track at the end of September, possibly mid-October depending on conditions, and was wondering whether snowshoes or crampons are needed this time of year. Planning to take my time and spend two nights on the trail. Any other advice or information on walking the trail this time of year would be greatly appreciated.
Henry OShea
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Snowshoeing the Main Range in September

Postby crollsurf » Tue 12 Sep, 2023 5:42 pm

If you have the luxury, pick a good weather window. Good weather will mean icy in the morning. There will be plenty of non-snow work arounds, but crossing icy slopes will be dangerous in the morning.

I'd go for micro spikes this year (lack of snow) as a backup and forget about the snowshoes.

Unless you're on a mission, navigate around the ice or chill out and wait until mid-morning for the snow to soften.

If the weather is in, I'd say don't go. Only local knowledge will tell you where the cornices are. In a white-out, you won't know until you're free falling down the face of the cornice. Even then, you should be right, but it will cause constanation amongst the group.

Don't let me put you off. Go for it, it'll be great. Just know your limitations regarding your gear choices.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Henry OShea » Tue 12 Sep, 2023 7:06 pm

Thanks for all of your advice, I'll continue to keep my eye on the weather and hold off until another high pressure system arrives in the next couple weeks.
Thanks again for your response.
Henry OShea
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 13 Sep, 2023 9:53 am

Crollsurf has good advice. I was skiing on the Etheridge Range in a whiteout when the bloke next to me vanished as the cornice collapsed. It was very scary - I could feel the edge with my ski stock but could not see it. He said that he was okay and that there was hardly any wind where he was. It took 15-20 minutes to get back to the party.

I'm unsure what is meant by "main range track". If this means the loop from Charlotte Pass to Blue Lake, Albina, Kosciuszko and the road back to Charlotte Pass, do the walk in this direction. The reason is that you cross the Snowy Rover close to the start, and if crossing cannot be done it's not far back to the road. Going clockwise the Snowy River is just before the end. If the crossing cannot be safely done it may be a long way around. Also, from Rawson Pass the road is reasonably easy to follow, and there will probably be tracks. There's shelter at the Rawson Pass toilet block and Seamans Hut.

The Main Range has sheltered campsites, but they may be hard to find, especially in bad weather. Look for sites below the ridge on the east and south sides. camping in glacial lake catchments is prohibited. Wilkinson Valley water should not be ingested. Too many people camp there and there is faecal pollution.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby rcaffin » Sun 17 Sep, 2023 8:15 pm

If you are going in October you may be struggling this year to find any snow.
Eh - you might be lucky.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT