Cripp's lookout to Roslyn Rd, Blackheath

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Cripp's lookout to Roslyn Rd, Blackheath

Postby skibug » Thu 21 Sep, 2023 1:52 pm

Hello everyone,

Blue Mountains/Blackheath question - is there a track/path/way/do-able bush bash from Cripp's lookout (or nearby) to the end of Roslyn Rd? - it looks like it's only 50 metres or so. Alternatively, can you keep going along Pulpit rock track and access Twin Falls road without going past a "track closed" sign? I'm trying to find the shortest route from Govett's leap to Perry's Lookdown

With thanks,

Skibug
skibug
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Cripp's lookout to Roslyn Rd, Blackheath

Postby keithj » Thu 21 Sep, 2023 6:59 pm

Yes, NPWS have recently removed the chains at Cripps LO notice. The end of Twin Falls Road to Cripps LO & then Govetts Leap is open.

There is a short (out & back) section at the end of Twin Falls Rd towards Pulpit Rock that is open. It is blocked by temporary fencing where BMCC becomes responsibile for the track.
keithj
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby skibug » Thu 21 Sep, 2023 8:25 pm

keithj »wrote:

Yes, NPWS have recently removed the chains at Cripps LO notice. The end of Twin Falls Road to Cripps LO & then Govetts Leap is open.
There is a short (out & back) section at the end of Twin Falls Rd towards Pulpit Rock that is open. It is blocked by temporary fencing where BMCC becomes responsibile for the track.

Thanks so much for this - but I'm still confused - can I walk from Govett's Leap to Hat Hill Road, leaving the Pulpit Rock track at Twin Falls road, without breaching any official closures - whether they be by National Parks, BMCC or anyone else? If I understand your message properly, then no; however could I do same going via Janet then Roslyn Streets? Or do you mean the BMCC closure is for cars turning into Twin Falls rd from Hat Hill road, but can be by-passed by pedestrians?

Or looking at a different map now, can I walk from Govett's to Hat Hill Road via Boyd's Beach (on Pope's Glen Creek)?

With many thanks in advance,

Skibug.
skibug
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby keithj » Fri 22 Sep, 2023 7:16 am

skibug wrote:keithj »wrote:

Thanks so much for this - but I'm still confused - can I walk from Govett's Leap to Hat Hill Road, leaving the Pulpit Rock track at Twin Falls road, without breaching any official closures - whether they be by National Parks, BMCC or anyone else?
Yes. Govetts Leap to Cripps LO & Twin Falls Rd is open.
skibug wrote:... however could I do same going via Janet then Roslyn Streets?

You could also go via Janet & Roslyn St, BUT there is no track between the LO at end of Roslyn St and Pulpit Rock Track. However, it is a 50m steepish overgrown descent that is doable. It's hard to find if starting from the bottom - aim for the W side of the LO.
skibug wrote:Or do you mean the BMCC closure is for cars turning into Twin Falls rd from Hat Hill road, but can be by-passed by pedestrians?

These are both also true - twin falls rd is gated at the junction with Hat Hill Rd, but it's fine for pedestrians.
skibug wrote:Or looking at a different map now, can I walk from Govett's to Hat Hill Road via Boyd's Beach (on Pope's Glen Creek)?

You certainly can. It's v. pleasant, although the first 100m is steep & rough above the weir at Boyds Beach.

The bottom line is that the only section of Pulpit Rock Track that is closed is between Pulpit Rock Road and 300m North of Boyd Lookout - see red hatches below.

The thin green lines show the 3 possible routes.
PulpitClosure.jpg

Having said all that, NPWS are closing Pulpit Rock Rd starting October for 3 to 5 months - see https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/vi ... cal-alerts It's not clear if thats just cars or pedestrians too.
It will be closed both cars and pedestrians.
keithj
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT