Marijuana Canyon

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Marijuana Canyon

Postby Just A Bloke » Sat 04 Nov, 2023 1:47 pm

Hello All,
I’m looking for some track notes on Marijuana Canyon.
I know it’s off bells line of road Mt Charles but cannot find any detailed track info.
I am more interested in getting to the rock overhangs/caves rather than into the canyon but would also like to know if doable as a solo hiker with tapes or ropes (particularly climbing back out).
Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Regards
Just A Bloke in the Bush
Last edited by Just A Bloke on Mon 06 Nov, 2023 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just A Bloke
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Marijuana Canyon

Postby tom_brennan » Mon 06 Nov, 2023 7:48 am

You could reverse one of the exits to Upper South Bowens Canyon, walk/wade/swim downstream and then walk up the bottom of Marijuana Canyon. However, these are not generally easy to find from the top unless you have already done them from below.

I'm not sure what you mean by "doable as a solo hiker with ribbons on ropes" or "getting to the rock overhangs/caves rather than into the canyon"?
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Just A Bloke » Mon 06 Nov, 2023 10:29 am

Hi Tom, thanks for replying.
Sorry it’s a typo and it should say “tapes or ropes”.
By the sounds of it probably a little too sketchy to be done solo. Particularly climbing back out.
Any ideas where I can get to the old crop plantation? Maybe I can do a clean up while exploring the area?
Just A Bloke
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby tom_brennan » Wed 08 Nov, 2023 8:57 am

I've been in there several times solo, but I already knew a couple of different ways out so didn't seem overly risky.

From memory, there was plantation rubbish at the top of the abseil in the creek, but I could be confusing it with other spots - there seem to have been plenty of attempts to grow marijuana in canyons across the Blue Mountains! I can think of at least 5
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT