Bungonia walks

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Bungonia walks

Postby Tantell » Tue 12 Mar, 2024 8:24 pm

Hi all looking to spend a couple of nights down in bungonia, camping at the shoalhaven river spot (not the main campground).
Is it possible to head upstream to meet the red track/gorge from the shoalhaven river? Thinking of a circuit with base camp back at the river for a leisurely big walking day heading upstream back up to the main camp and then back down red track and downstream back to camp. White track first and last day in/out.
Assuming weather and rain plays ball of course. Also with that mine there, where is the best place to source water (filtered/boiled).
Cheers
Shaun
Tantell
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: Bungonia walks

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Tue 12 Mar, 2024 8:56 pm

Tantell wrote:Hi all looking to spend a couple of nights down in bungonia, camping at the shoalhaven river spot (not the main campground).
Is it possible to head upstream to meet the red track/gorge from the shoalhaven river? Thinking of a circuit with base camp back at the river for a leisurely big walking day heading upstream back up to the main camp and then back down red track and downstream back to camp. White track first and last day in/out.
Assuming weather and rain plays ball of course. Also with that mine there, where is the best place to source water (filtered/boiled).
Cheers
Shaun
Water from Bungonia ck is ok if treated. Can walk through the gorge upstream from the confluence with the Shoalhaven, although not all the way to the npws camp (unless you go up the western leg of the red track then along the green track for a while, but I assume you meant all the way to the campsite via the creek which would require some technical climbing up waterfalls). Personally reckon it would be better to explore up the gorge on the middle day and head back the same way rather than looping in the red track. Also, can go in/out to the camp on the river from long point for extra distance and interest (and less steep than white track)... would also reduce travel distance if coming from Sydney

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tantell » Wed 13 Mar, 2024 6:18 pm

That's sounds a great idea. I just mainly wanted work out how to go through the gorge without carrying all our packs and gear. Looking at the satellite map, I assume then it is achievable down long point along the river to the campsite? Is that wading in the river or can make it alongside?
My thinking previously was more the red/green track out and doing a bog loop (not tech climbing).
Cheers
Tantell
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Wed 13 Mar, 2024 6:39 pm

Tantell wrote:I assume then it is achievable down long point along the river to the campsite? Is that wading in the river or can make it alongside?

Nah no river crossing, all on the true left (west) bank, and easy navigation among casuarina groves, grassy flats and sandy/rocky flood channels (which are dry most of the time). Long point is the easiest/least steep access to the shoalhaven in the area.

From memory the best camp spot is a grassy flat on the river bank a few mins upstream of the confluence with BungoniaCreek, just below the low knife edge ridge at the bottom of the white track.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tantell » Sun 17 Mar, 2024 11:59 am

Awesome thanks. Sounds like a plan
Tantell
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to New South Wales & ACT