Royal National Park 2 day Coastal Walk

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Sat 05 Mar, 2011 11:20 am

Hi, I'm considering walking the 2 day Coastal Walk at Royal National Park in two or three weeks time.

Is it regarded a safe walk on your own? or should I go with someone.

Is it best to walk North to South or from the southern end to the northern end. I'm considering leaving from the northern end of the track and head south.

Is there any water along the track, I can treat, I own a Lifesaver Bottle, I can virtually filter almost any form of water with this filter.

What will the Temps be like early April, How cold can it get at night, I own a Hilleberg 4 season tent, but don't own a very good sleeping bag, was thinking about hiring one from Sydney, Anyone hire sleeping bags at Sydney?

Any help very much appreciated.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Queensland

Re: Royal National Park 2 day Coastal Walk

Postby johnw » Sat 05 Mar, 2011 12:24 pm

Probably the most popular coastal walk in the Sydney region. I know the track back to front but have yet to get around to overnighting on it. I always carry enough water on day trips but there is tap water at Wattamolla and Garie. I'm fairly sure this is drinkable but to be sure ring the park office on 02 9542 0648. Also flushing toilets at those locations.

http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/NationalParks/parkHome.aspx?id=N0030

There are other water sources from creeks draining towards the ocean but I would avoid using these if possible. Definitely treat if using them. It's also extremely dry right now, unless we get significant rain before April I wouldn't rely on water being available from these.

While it's always safer to walk with someone else, there are usually a lot of people on the track. In good weather it would be rare to walk for much more than 1/2 hour without encountering others. It's very popular with overseas backpackers, Duke of Edinburgh Award groups, bushwalking clubs and others. The terrain is not difficult just the usual range of hazards, broken ground, steps, snakes etc.

I prefer to walk north to south as you get the spectacular views of the coastline and the Illawarra escarpment at the southern end (and you're walking away from Sydney so don't have to look at it - might be considered a bonus :) ). Take the very pleasant ferry ride from Cronulla to Bundeena and start from there. Get the train back to Sydney from Otford Station, about 15 minutes walk from the finish.

Early April is usually nice mild conditions (great walking weather) although it can occasionally be a bit wet. Nights can be a bit cool but unlikely to be cold (often humid/cool). The only authorised campsite at North Era (permit required) is almost right on the beach and exposed to any strong winds coming off the Pacific Ocean. My son did an overnighter there the other week and said it was extremely windy during the night.

This might give some indication of temperature averages as it's at sea level not too far south of RNP:
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/201004/html/IDCJDW2014.201004.shtml
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Sat 05 Mar, 2011 12:54 pm

Thanks John W, This is just the info I was chasing,

I own a Lifesaver Water Filtration Bottle, Don't know if you ever heard of them, but apparently you can filter muddy water with it and have clean drinking water, but your suggestions with the taps at Wattamolla and Garie sounds like a great option to top up, I'll call the Parks service and check that water is ok after filtering. I don't like carrying water for two days, want to keep my pack weight down. If I could get away with just carrying 2 litres maximum and top up on the way.

Might have to get my self some thermals and look for a sleeping bag I can hire, My Hilleberg tent will not be a problem in the exposed camping area. It's the extra heavy duty material designed for extreme conditions.

I'll try to go with another person, but most likely I'll be on my own, if the track is well populated i'll feel a lot safer on my own. My main concern was for any crazy wacko's out there, walking on my own, don't bother me, it's being so close to the city of Sydney, I was concerned for my safety on my own from crazy people.

I was at Sydney last December and done some of the walks around the coast near Sydney and the Blue Mountains, It was very hot, including the Blue Mountains, Might head of to the Blue Mountains and walk either the 6 Foot Track or a single day walk like the National Pass Trail. Depends how cold it is at night, I can imagine it might get a bit cold that time of the year, hence I might just do the one day walk at the Blue Mountains. I didn't know about the Coastal Walk at Royal National Park when I was at Sydney last December, found out about it, after I returned back home.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Sat 05 Mar, 2011 6:07 pm

My nephew will be with me on the walk, first week in April, I'm Looking forward to the walk. Where also going to the Blue Mountains.

Anyone know of a good hire place for Sleeping bags and water proof long trousers? in the Sydney City area.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ninjapuppet » Sat 05 Mar, 2011 9:20 pm

I dont think you'll have any trouble with the coastal walk phil. I often take visitors to sydney here as a day walk, and it takes about 8 -10 hours at a rate of 3kph.
Ive managed to jog Bundeena-Otford in 4.5 hours without pushing myself too hard, so I would recommend you just take it easy if you you have 2 days.

Theres plenty of water along the way, and theres even a kiosk where you can buy icecream!
Ive seen a few guys sitting there at North Era with eskies and tattoos all over their body, but they turned out pretty friendly.
Never seen any wackos there.

annaconda Adventure world can hire out sleeping bags, or you can just hire one here
http://www.lifesanadventure.com.au/book ... -day-hire/

as your your tent, lugging around a 3.5kg expedition tent + footprint for anything in sydney might seem abit overkill but it should give you piece of mind. Ive seen people often use cheap $50 tents there with no problems.
ninjapuppet
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New Zealand

Postby flatfoot » Sat 05 Mar, 2011 9:58 pm

I walked that walk as an overnighter two weeks ago. We were unfortunate and had temps hovering around 34 degrees on the second day. It was extremely hot walking across the top of the cliffs into Bundeena.

We started at the Otford end. Try and time your trip so that you have 15-30 mins to get from Burning Palms to the figure eight pool. i.e. you need to visit this at low tide. From burning palms you head south along the rocks to get to the figure eight pool. Make sure you look around a bit here as the rock shelf is expansive and there are quite a few pools worth a look.

We camped at North Era. I'll PM you with the details of a place you can find water. You need permits to camp at North Era. Unfortunately it's now the only camping area on the walk that is open. It's a fuel-stove only area I think.

If you camp at North Era and are heading north try and set out by 8am. It's a long day. We reached the edge of the National Park at Bundeena at 4pm. From there its about 15-20mins down to the town and the ferry. We were able to get a ferry at 5pm.
Flat-footed Mainlander
flatfoot
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Sun 06 Mar, 2011 10:18 am

Thanks for the advice. Looking forward to the walk, from what I seen it's very picture-se.

I always look for any excuse to lug my Hilleberg expedition tent and Exped Downmat 9 Deluxe with Thermarest Compresible Pillow. A very comfy sleep. I like my comfort when I'm out walking and camping. This new gear is lighter than what I used to lug around with me, So I'm finding it great compared to what it used to be like, I also used to lug about 7kg of photographic gear with me, Now I just take a small point and shoot camera.

Do you think I should still boil the water before drinking, even though I own a Lifesaver Bottle? It's supposed to be one of, if not the best portable water filtration device for bushwalkers available. I've only owned it now for a few weeks. Used it last week on the Great Walk at Fraser Island, I'm still here.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Sun 06 Mar, 2011 10:46 am

Deleted
Last edited by ULWalkingPhil on Wed 16 Mar, 2011 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wildwalks » Mon 07 Mar, 2011 9:36 am

Hi Phillip

I think the direction you walk in partly dependent on your starting time, and plans to work around the ferry. I prefer North to south, as I am more comfortable starting with the ferry, rather than running the risk of missing the ferry. You can also grab water (treat) from Garie Beach car park area. The walk to the campsite is about 20km (of a 27km walk in total). There is some hills on southern section, but most of the walking is in the northern section.

Note that the YHA at Garie has burnt down and is no longer open, they are discussing if it will be re-built.

These notes and maps might be of some help.
http://www.wildwalks.com/bushwalking-and-hiking-in-nsw/royal-national-park/coast-track-bundeena-to-otford.html

Have a great walk

Matt :)
Last edited by wildwalks on Wed 09 Mar, 2011 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
wildwalks
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Wildwalks, Bushwalk.com & NPA NSW

Postby eddie the eagle » Mon 07 Mar, 2011 5:51 pm

Hi Phillip,

I prefer South (Otford) to North (Bundeena,) as the ferry is reliable and you avoid a 260m uphill scramble through rainforest on day 2.

If you go North to South, on some weekends, the trains are 2 hours apart, and if you miss one you've got a long wait on an isolated platform. As well, if they're doing trackwork, you've got another kilometre to walk to the bus.

Having said this, the vista is a lot nicer going North to South.

As far as water goes, there is NO DRINKABLE WATER - treat everything. I took water out of the tap at Garie beach about 2 years ago, and it came with a free 2" of pond scum on top of the water bottle (I recycle 1.25l soft drink bottles.) If there is rain in the week before, most creeks are running, but contaminated with faecal matter from deer. Curracurrong (Curracurrang?) is a creek that's usually reliable as well, as well as Wattamolla Creek. Is it Curracurrong is the hill and Curracurrang is the creek, or vice-versa? They're within a kilometre of each other.

Flush toilets at Garie and Wattamolla, pit toilets behind Little Marley and North Era - it's unlikely you'll need to dig a pit.

You'll need to book a campsite at North Era - they're usually booked out in advance on Sat.

I think I saw that Matt from Wildwalks gave you the number, 02.9542.0683 I think it is - check on the Royal National Park website.

As far as temp, here's last April, it was average but a little dry. Expect some rain. I like April - not too hot but not chilly yet.
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/20100 ... 1004.shtml (edit: Just saw that John W gave you the identical link - you can see Bellambi point from the top of the hills above Otford, about 15-20km away.)

Cheers,

eddie
eddie the eagle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kjbeath » Mon 07 Mar, 2011 6:59 pm

The water at Garie is untreated and untested, and probably Wattamolla as well so the parks people wont tell you whether it is OK.
kjbeath
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Samma3l » Mon 07 Mar, 2011 8:03 pm

Phillipsart wrote:Hi, I'm considering walking the 2 day Coastal Walk at Royal National Park in two or three weeks time.

Is it regarded a safe walk on your own? or should I go with someone.

Is it best to walk North to South or from the southern end to the northern end. I'm considering leaving from the northern end of the track and head south.

Is there any water along the track, I can treat, I own a Lifesaver Bottle, I can virtually filter almost any form of water with this filter.

What will the Temps be like early April, How cold can it get at night, I own a Hilleberg 4 season tent, but don't own a very good sleeping bag, was thinking about hiring one from Sydney, Anyone hire sleeping bags at Sydney?

Any help very much appreciated.

I've done this walk a number of times as it's very local to me and I can often get a bit of a late start in the morning (by my standards). It's very possible to walk end to end in a day.

I would regard it as safe. The footing is generally very good, and there are markings at regular intervals. I have seen snakes on the track though as early as September, so be aware of that.

As mentioned previously, there is water at Wattamolla and Garie, but it is untreated and untested. I have found water at Garie to have a little staining. There are also creeks along the walk though they can vary with the amount of water available.

Things do start to cool down by April in Sydney, though mainly in the mornings. I dare say you might be sweating in a 0deg bag.

Distances marked along the trail are usually pretty good, with some artistic license given to one or two markings especially the one at Garrawarra Farm. That is the shortest 8km I've ever done.

Depending on your tent's size, there's camping available along the track about 1-1.5km from the Otford end of the track, at North Era and at the Northern end of Garie Beach before the steep climb (if heading North).
Samma3l
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Ashmillett » Fri 11 Mar, 2011 1:51 pm

To easy over 2days. Do it in one day. I recommend 2-3 liters and don't count on filling up anywhere coz you don't know if creeks will be running at that time.
I would say south to north Is better as the burning palms mega hill at the start going down is better than going up right at the conclusion of your day.
I live locally to this walk and have been doing it with family and overseas friends for over 20years.
It shows off our beautiful country. Enjoy!
Ashmillett
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Mon 14 Mar, 2011 4:44 pm

Thanks all,
Last edited by ULWalkingPhil on Wed 16 Mar, 2011 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 7:35 pm

Phillip,

You've obviously got a good bit of kit already, so I'm confused by your intention in seeking a bag to hire..?

You say you'll be in Sydney for two weeks prior, so why not look to just buy one??

Budget, that's why I have not purchased a Sleeping Bag. I could purchase a good quality sleeping bag, but than I would not be able to visit Sydney. I prefer to visit Sydney and go bushwalking. I will purchase a bag before the weather starts getting to cold, most likely will look at purchasing overseas, But for now, I'm going to hire a bag. I've never owned or slept in a Down Bag before. So I thought it's wise to hire one to try before investing the money in a bag.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ninjapuppet » Wed 16 Mar, 2011 2:54 am

I saw a few families returning hired sleeping bags to annaconda adventure world. The guy at the counter had quite a few that had been hired, so obviously theres a market out there for such.

Though, their quality tended to be so-so.....

Personally, if i was cash strapped, i'd get a dirt cheap 2nd hand one on ebay for $50 and wash it thoroughly. I'm not convinced the ones for hire were washed.
Then when i had the cash to upgrade, i'd keep the 2nd hand one for guests whom i'd take bushwalking or ebay it off for close to the same amount I bought it for.
ninjapuppet
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lindsay » Wed 16 Mar, 2011 1:52 pm

P.S. Has anyone else heard of such a concept as hiring a sleeping bag, for real?

Yes, it's very common amongst backpackers and those on adventure holidays overseas. I hired one to walk the inca Trail a couple of years ago. Saves lugging it around for the rest of the trip if you are only spending a few nights oudoors. I used a cheap cotton liner and had no problems at all.
Lindsay

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Wed 16 Mar, 2011 5:27 pm

Deleted
Last edited by ULWalkingPhil on Tue 22 Mar, 2011 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DarrenM » Wed 16 Mar, 2011 6:21 pm

Phillipsart wrote:I think it's best I don't say anymore and move on.

I feel like I've been personally attacked here. I never encountered anything like this before.

Don't worry mate, stick around. Hiring is common.

Try these guys - http://www.lifesanadventure.com.au/camp ... ment-hire/

http://www.lifesanadventure.com.au/book ... -day-hire/
DarrenM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ninjapuppet » Wed 16 Mar, 2011 6:26 pm

Nah don't worry Phil. It's just different opinions and he did self confess to be a master troll beforehand when he first joined up.

Whilst I think it's a better idea to buy a kmart bag than to rent a bag, I did say many people rent and there's no shame in that.

Just get out there and enjoy the coast walk mate. If you get the chance, also head up to blackheath and do the grand canyon walk. Or to katoomba and walk to mt solitary as an overnighter to give that Namatj another go.
ninjapuppet
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Wed 16 Mar, 2011 6:51 pm

I like to thank those that have helped me here on this forum, It's been great, while it's lasted.

Thanks for all you good people out there, I would never have known about Hilleberg tents if it was not for this forum. You've taught me a lot in the short time, I've participated in this forum.

I will indeed enjoy the walk.

Keep an eye out in the near distance future for those walking the Overland Track, You might see a bright Red Hilleberg with a large vestibule, be sure to say hello, You never know who it might be.

Bye for now.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Thu 17 Mar, 2011 12:37 pm

I was told you can't take Dehydrated food with you on the plane. Is this true?
How do you's deal with the food issue while hiking if you can't take your own Dehydrated Meals? I was going to use my dehydrator and prepare some food this week to take with me. I was just told they will be confiscated at the airport.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lizzy » Thu 17 Mar, 2011 12:46 pm

Hi Phillip,
You should have no problem with your dehydrated food unless you bring them from overseas...
Check out this link
http://www.dpiw.tas.gov.au/inter.nsf/We ... 6FW46?open
Cheers
Liz
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Marwood » Thu 17 Mar, 2011 1:16 pm

There is a small difference and hence ambiguity between what's written in the brochure and what's on the website. The website says it's OK to bring in "Processed foods including dried, cooked and canned fruit and vegetables" from mainland states, where the pamphlet says "Processed foods including commercially dried, cooked and canned fruit and vegetables".
Come on lads, let's get home. The sky's beginning to bruise, night must fall, and we shall be forced to camp.
Marwood
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tom_brennan » Thu 17 Mar, 2011 2:33 pm

I've never heard of anyone having dehydrated food confiscated in Tassie. Even when we went to NZ they only took away our dried papaya, and to be fair, it was still somewhat moist.

Just thoroughly dry it. Most veges benefit from being steamed/microwaved beforehand anyway, so you shouldn't have a problem
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnw » Thu 17 Mar, 2011 2:53 pm

I think we might have got a bit OT (maybe I missed something). Agree with previous posts concerning Tassie quarantine. But if Phillip is doing the Coast Track in RNP surely he'll be flying into Sydney? :) In which case I've never experienced any relevant food restrictions or quarantine inspection on inbound domestic flights, only international.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Thu 17 Mar, 2011 5:31 pm

Yes, I am flying into Sydney, Tasmania will be end of year or early next year. I was wondering about taking Dehydrated food into Sydney.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stepbystep » Thu 17 Mar, 2011 5:35 pm

Phillipsart wrote:Yes, I am flying into Sydney, Tasmania will be end of year or early next year. I was wondering about taking Dehydrated food into Sydney.

No dramas at all then mate, stick it your baggage(not hand luggage and you'll be fine). Same with a Tassie trip, just make sure it is fully dehydrated and vacuum sealed.
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Thu 17 Mar, 2011 5:37 pm

Vacuum sealed? I don't own a vacuum sealer. I must get one of those.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lizzy » Thu 17 Mar, 2011 6:06 pm

johnw wrote:I think we might have got a bit OT (maybe I missed something). Agree with previous posts concerning Tassie quarantine. But if Phillip is doing the Coast Track in RNP surely he'll be flying into Sydney? :) In which case I've never experienced any relevant food restrictions or quarantine inspection on inbound domestic flights, only international.

opps- I was reading his previous post where he was talking about the Overland track....
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Next

Return to New South Wales & ACT