Jagungal Circuit in October

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Jagungal Circuit in October

Postby Nic » Sun 14 Aug, 2011 1:19 pm

Hi everyone,
I am planning a 5 day circuit this October long weekend 2011. I am looking for some feedback on route. I am also interested mainly past experiences in that region of the park that early in the spring. I have some concerns with snow levels at the higher elevations.

Day 1: Round Mountain car park to Boo Bee hut via the Tumut river and Far bald mountain fire trail.

Day 2: Boo Bee hut to Cesjacks Hut or a camp along Doubtful Creek via Mackays hut and Spencers peak.

Day 3: Up over McAlister saddle to Mawsons hut via Geehi river and Cup and Saucer Hill.

Day 4: From Mawsons hut to Jagungal via south east ridge with either a high camp or on to Derschkos hut.

Day 5: Hike out via round mountain fire trail.

I have plenty of options to shorten the trip or alter route depending on weather. This particular route if the weather co operates.

Thanks,
Nick
Nic
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Re: Jagungal Circuit in October

Postby Nic » Mon 15 Aug, 2011 5:37 pm

Bump.

Anyone have any experience with that area in early October??? On another note how has the snow levels in general been in the northern end of the park this winter?
nick
Nic
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby DarrenM » Mon 15 Aug, 2011 6:34 pm

I bumped into a mate a week or so back and he had skied through from Kiandra on his way to Thredbo. From all reports Happy Jacks plain was skiable but a lot can and will change between now and then. We should get a top up this week down to 1300m which might keep the lower terrain up the northern end just covered for a while longer, but with not much in the forecast after that it will depend on freak September dumps.

Very difficult to say this far out but we aren't having a big snow depth year. Do you carry crampons or snowshoes? Could be icy if you do head high and there usually is snow on J in October.
Sorry I cant help further.
DarrenM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Nic » Mon 15 Aug, 2011 9:11 pm

Thanks,
That is just the type of info I was looking for. I wasn't planning on carrying either snow shoes or crampons on this trip. Micro spikes or something similar could be an option.

Thanks again,
nick
Nic
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Tony » Tue 16 Aug, 2011 8:09 am

Hi Nic,

I have walked a bit of the trip that you are planning, I doubt that snow will be a problem at that time of year but that said we where in that area 12 months in October last year and the it snowed on us, the rivers where in flood and where not crossable.

The crossing of the Tumut river could be a problem at that time of the year if it is has been raining, I have walked down to Doubtful creek Tumut river junction (there is an old gauging station there) from the Far bald Mountain trail, it is a bit scrubby down near the river and it is very hard to find in places and non-existent in other places especially up high near the 1655 meter peak, but once up top the main trail to Far Bald mountain is good, the trail has been extended to Grey mare trail (which is not on maps), there is a bit of a scramble down to Boo Bee hut but still fairly easy. I have not done any walking to Cesjacks or Mackays hut areas but the country is not that hard to walk in, lots of grassy plains and the treed areas are not too bad either.

I have been to Mawsons and it is easy walking, the rest is easy, there is a trail down the south eastern side of Jagungal peak that if followed heads west and joins the Grey Mare track not far from Derschkos hut, the rest is on good fire trails.

Have fun

Tony
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Nic » Tue 16 Aug, 2011 5:52 pm

Thanks Tony,
I'm hoping that Tumut river wont be too high, I am ready for a very cold crossing. Good to hear that the off trail sections won't be too difficult.

I'm glad the general consensus is that snow "should" not be a problem, but "could" be if there is the odd storm.

On another note Tony, what do you think about early season Tenkara action that high up? I've read some of your trip reports on BLP and Tenkara USA (great reading and very helpful). I am on the fence on wether it would be worth taking my Iwana or not.

Thanks again,
Nick
Nic
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Tony » Tue 16 Aug, 2011 7:45 pm

Hi Nic,

I have crossed the Tumut river at the Farmyard track after snow and rain in late May, it was fast flowing and very cold, we would have struggled if we did not have a walking stick to help us.

I think it might be too early in the season to fish the high streams, especially for the higher parts of the Geehi and the Valentine rivers, the water temp would be too cold still for the fish to be active, we have some success in the Geehi and Valentine late in the season, when my expert fishing mate gets back from his work trip later in the week I will have a talk to him to get his opinion. I also do not think that section of the Tumut is suitable for a Tenkara rod at all.

Tony
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Nic » Tue 16 Aug, 2011 8:02 pm

Hi Toni,
Thats what I was thinking, to cold and too early.

Nick
Nic
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby north-north-west » Fri 19 Aug, 2011 7:17 pm

Ummmm, will the road to the Round Mountain carpark be open? I've tried to get there at that time of the year and it's still been gated. They don't plough the stretch between Cabramurra and Khancoban.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby climberman » Sun 21 Aug, 2011 9:05 am

I have fished the Tooma R above the dam very early in the season a couple of times. It's typically slower fishing. Go deep, go stick caddis.
climberman
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby geoffmallo » Tue 23 Aug, 2011 2:00 pm

I was in the area over the weekend and there is really very little snow after the recent rainfall. There is currently little skiable snow really below 1800m. We were snowshoeing and making ok progress but over both Saturday and Sunday the sun was out and the base that was left was quickly melting. Though I'd expect you'd need something to assist climbing J or to plan a longer (and possibly frustrating) summit attempt.

[attachment=1]Summit of Jagungal in winter.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]Jagungal wilderness.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
Summit of Jagungal in winter.jpg
Jagungal summit
Jagungal wilderness.jpg
About 1700m South East of Jagungal
geoffmallo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby sef » Sun 28 Aug, 2011 10:34 pm

Seconding Geoff's comment above, the snow in the area almost certainly won't last long enough to cause you trouble. Between the Kerries and Jagungal, there's maybe 5cm of base where the sun hasn't got at it totally -- and that's showing water damage. Unless there's a big dump soon (and it's not forecast), suspect that's season 2011...

P1070581_Medium.JPG
j
sef
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby Nic » Tue 30 Aug, 2011 8:18 pm

Thanks guys, pics look great.
Nic
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Nic » Mon 05 Sep, 2011 6:31 pm

Well looks like our trip has now been moved to the end of october because of some scheduling conflicts. I now have no worries about the trip.
nick
Nic
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby rcaffin » Sun 25 Sep, 2011 12:37 pm

Nic wrote: I am looking for some feedback on route. I am also interested mainly past experiences in that region of the park that early in the spring. I have some concerns with snow levels at the higher elevations.

Well.....
The first few days look like being rather long ones. The drop into the Tumut and climb out takes a bit of time.
Of course, it could just be that I am old and feeble.

Cheers
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby tele-whippet » Mon 26 Sep, 2011 9:46 am

Up to 25 cm of snow forecast above 1500 M from Thursday.
tele-whippet
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby Nic » Mon 03 Oct, 2011 12:52 pm

I'm looking forward to the long days of off track, to be honest. I'm no Skurka but they are all easily within my fitness and navigational grasps.
As for the snow, well I'm Canadian so it wont kill me.
Nick
Nic
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to New South Wales & ACT