2 day Canyoning Trip

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

2 day Canyoning Trip

Postby Vern » Tue 22 Nov, 2011 3:18 pm

Hi, I'm looking to go on a two day canyoning trip soon and wondered if any of the canyoners on this site had recommendations as to the best ones they've done? I was thinking of Kanangra somewhere or Newnes somewhere but I'm open to suggestions.

Ps. Loving that I'm back in NSW for the canyoning but missing Tassie none the less.
Vern
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: 2 day Canyoning Trip

Postby DaveNoble » Tue 22 Nov, 2011 5:09 pm

Lots of nice two day trips - a good one it the Tetralogy - Hole in the Wall, Banks, Crikey and Froth and Bubble Canyons. These can be nicely linked together and done over two days, camping in the Bungleboori Creek. But to do this you do need to do a fair bit of route finding. Other good trips are at Newnes (e.g. do a trip down Hartley's Mistake Canyon, then on the second day visit Twilight Canyon) or Glen Davis. But make sure you go light weight or organise the trip so you do the canyons as side trips with a daypack.

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby tom_brennan » Wed 23 Nov, 2011 3:41 pm

Depends on what kind of canyons you like. If it's Kanangra-style canyons, there are obviously a few there that are two day trips.

For sandstone canyons, there are numerous areas you could look at. Most of the bigger creeks (Wollangambe, Yarramun, Dumbano, Bungleboori (north & south), Nayook) have sections of canyons, are good two day trips (or more). They often have side canyons worth visiting. The Bungleboori area can be a good one to start in as passes are more well known. Dave's suggestion above is an excellent trip.

Lots of other good two day trips exist, but you will probably need to do some preliminary trips to check out passes.
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Vern » Wed 23 Nov, 2011 9:11 pm

Thanks for the info! I've been checking out both of your websites for the trip that Dave recommended and I think that'll be the one to start with. Thanks for the hard work on the sites. They are valuable resources! I'll let ya know how I go.
Vern
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby FatCanyoner » Wed 30 Nov, 2011 1:46 am

It's a little left field, but if you like the long abseils and more open style canyons of Kanangra, then Bungonia offers some good options. A great double that I have done is Spring Creek and Fordham. The first is a very impressive canyon, the second more of a spectacular gash down the side of a mountain. Best of all you can camp on the nice grassy banks of the Shoalhaven River and only need to carry your full pack through one canyon.
I've got a trip report up about it here - http://fatcanyoners.org/2009/10/16/bungonia-canyoning-and-caving/
Otherwise I'd definitely second Dave's suggestion (some of my all time favourite canyons in that mix, and the camp cave at the end of Fortitude is a truly special place that comes complete with a glow-worm filled canyon section next door to explore!
Another nice weekend on the 'Boori that I'd recommend (and which involves a few less visited ones) was Bjelke's Mind, Steep Creek (Bridge) and Froth and Bubble. You could fit a fourth one in on the second day but we were a little lazy (I'd suggest Dead Tree (Dead Log)) - http://fatcanyoners.org/2010/04/04/bungleboori-south-canyons/
Have fun!
FatCanyoner
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.FatCanyoners.org www.CanyonGear.com.au
Region: New South Wales

Return to New South Wales & ACT