suggestions for 4 day hike around Blue Mountains

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

suggestions for 4 day hike around Blue Mountains

Postby weeman » Tue 13 Dec, 2011 11:58 am

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at doing a 4 day hike over the Christmas holidays and have decided on the Blue Mountains as the destination.

I have previously done the Mt Solitary and Kedumba Valley Circuit and thought it was a fantastic walk.

I have thought about doing this walk again, taking an extra day and going to Wentworth Falls, but was wondering if anyone has suggestions of other 4 day hikes in the area that are a similar grade. I have done the 6 foot track over 2 days but wasn't very impressed with it; way too much fire trails and not very challenging.

Ideally the walk needs to be circuit as I'll be driving up from Canberra by myself.
weeman
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: suggestions for 4 day hike around Blue Mountains

Postby pancake » Tue 13 Dec, 2011 1:51 pm

Hey mate if you like the Jamison valley circuit maybe hit up a circuit from katoomba to down near kanangra and return via a different way.
Start from narrow neck and end at explorers tree. You can road bash narrow neck the first afternoon/night and enter via tarros ladder or if you want to avoid the bash enter from carlons head (handline may help). Breakfast ck is beautiful and worth a wander, you can then follow the cox down and continue on to cloudmaker and return via krungbung range
Grab the topo and pick a nice loop I suppose.. it really depends on your fitness level and how cruisey or demanding you want to make the trip. there are tracks or pads along most of the major ridges in the area

interested in what others recommend and how your planning and trip goes.. keep us updated mate
pancake
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Marwood » Tue 13 Dec, 2011 3:03 pm

If you need to make it a circuit you could park at Dunphys Campsite (aka Carlons Farm) and wander round the Wild Dog Mountains, down to the Coxs River and over into Kanangra Boyd NP, then back to Dunphys via Breakfast Creek or Ironpot. Something akin to the 3 peaks but spread over twice the days and avoiding the slog along Narrow Neck.

You'd need to make sure that Cox's River is OK to cross by then with all the rain, but.
Come on lads, let's get home. The sky's beginning to bruise, night must fall, and we shall be forced to camp.
Marwood
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby DaveNoble » Tue 13 Dec, 2011 4:22 pm

It can be quite hot in the mts around Xmas - so you may want to be close to creeks and rivers. Here are some suggestions -

1. Kanangra Walls, Gingra Range , Brumby Range - Kowmung River (day 1), Kowmung River - walk downstream (day 2), Kowmung River - Gingra Ck (day 3) - Gingra Ck - Pages Pinnacle - Crafts Walls - Kanangra Walls

2. Dunphy Carpark - Carlons Ck, Wild Dog Mts - Splendour Rock (or Mobbs Soak) (day 1), Yellow Pup, Coxs River, Kanongaroo (day 2), Coxs River - Breakfast Ck (day 3) - back via Breakfast Ck (day 4)

3. Mt Victoria - Victoria Falls - Grose River - Little Blue Gum (Day 1) Blue Gum Forrest - Acacia Flat (Day 2 - very short day, explore Blue Gum Forest), Daytrip to Lockleys Pylon (day 3) - walk to Blackheath (via Grand Canyon or Govetts Leap)

4. Colo River walk - plenty of options - e.g. in via Canoe Ck, walk down to the Island, out via Drip Rock Fire Trail (but no tracks)

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark F » Tue 13 Dec, 2011 5:32 pm

If you are heading to the Blue Mountains from Canberra and choose a walk around the Kanangra region take the back road from Goulburn through Taralga towards Oberon and then across through Shooters Hill and Edith to Kanangra Walls. Most of it now sealed. It saves driving through the outskirts of Sydney and the lower Blue Mountains.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby weeman » Wed 14 Dec, 2011 11:57 am

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Both the Kanangra Walls and Dunphy Campsite loops sound interesting so I will investigate these further.
weeman
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to New South Wales & ACT