Morton Trig to Sandy Creek

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Morton Trig to Sandy Creek

Postby LeftRightShoot » Wed 28 Dec, 2011 5:08 pm

Howdy,

Was wondering if anyone has successfully negotiated a route between Motron Trig (Bundanoon 583543) to Sandy Creek (Bundanoon 551553 (approx))

Im looking at linking these two up for a wee hike/bike/paddle in the area.

Cheers

c.
LeftRightShoot
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Morton Trig to Sandy Creek

Postby clarence » Wed 29 Feb, 2012 7:19 pm

Hi cnschulz
I have not done that exact route but have done several passes in that area into and out of Bundanoon Creek, Johnstones Creek, Sandy Creek, Yarrunga Ck etc.
Judging from what I've seen I would be 95% certain you would find a way down that spur from the Wombat Hill fire trail.

If you are going into Sandy Creek there is a great pass near the waterfall at 588593 (old map), going down a narrow ledge on the cliff. It is not too hard or scary from memory. It was back in 96 I did it. In the creek below the waterfall the going is very very slow, I would say even slower than much of Bundanoon Creek (i.e. the section below the lookouts).

We exited up a creek somewhere around Rebeccas View, and it wasn't too difficult. I can't find my map with the route marked on it for the exit, so I can't be sure

A very reliable source I know talked of an old logging track leading down into Sandy Creek from the eastern side which had a very gentle gradient.

If my memory serves me correctly I was told the story of logs being pulled out of the valley on a flying fox which probably went from Rebeccas View and a bulldozer working in the valley below when it was logged.

I rode out along Wombat Hill fire trail 5 years ago and it was very straightforward. Likewise, I have paddled up into the bottom of Sandy Ck from Tallowa Dam and it is also very straightforward.

I have walked most of Yarrunga Creek (next valley east) which is beautiful clear walking country, and much of Bundanoon Creek (one valley west), which is quite the opposite. It is hard to know what Sandy Creek is like in the lower sections. I would like to get back to Sandy Creek one day and have a better look.

Clarence
clarence
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Return to New South Wales & ACT