Beach camping on the Hawkesbury

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Beach camping on the Hawkesbury

Postby rough60 » Wed 28 Dec, 2011 8:57 pm

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone was aware of any beach camping on the lower Hawkesbury?

From the water I've seen and stopped at heaps of small secluded beaches but was hoping to hike into one with the kids these holidays.

I'm after something about 10 to 12km return (or loop or train station to station).

Also would like to have a fire since I'll be with my 2 kids.

Any suggestions?

Cheers.
rough60
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Beach camping on the Hawkesbury

Postby Bluegum Mic » Wed 28 Dec, 2011 9:39 pm

Hmmm. Im drawing a blank. The only one I can think of is ferry across to little wobby from hawkesbury river station at Brooklyn. Walk around to patonga and camp at the council camp site. You can have a fire there and its on the river and beach. Only problem is its busy during school hols. Plenty of great spots I've camped at via boat but just cant think of the walk in part. I've often camped next to the little patch of sand at crosslands and there's loads of walking options there. Marramarra creek camping ground could be a good option actually
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Bluegum Mic » Wed 28 Dec, 2011 9:46 pm

Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwalks » Thu 29 Dec, 2011 7:59 pm

I like Bluegum mic's ideas

If you have a good imagination then Tallow beach is on the Hawkesburry, also a short walk then you where after - but hey
http://www.wildwalks.com/bushwalking-and-hiking-in-nsw/bouddi-national-park/tallow-beach-and-box-head.html

You could walk to the Sport and Rec camp - been school holidays all the accommodation may by booked out but you can always ask. Walk in from Little Wobby.

Gentlemans Halt camping ground
http://www.wildwalks.com/camping-in-nsw-parks/near-sydney-campsites/gentlemans-halt-camping-ground.html

On the Colo River
http://www.wildwalks.com/camping-in-nsw-parks/near-sydney-campsites/colo-meroo-camping-ground.html

On Berowra Creek
Crossland is a nice spot with 'beach' access on the northern end. Can access via the GNW, from many areas - great but hill walking.

Happy camping

Matt :)
wildwalks
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Wildwalks, Bushwalk.com & NPA NSW

Return to New South Wales & ACT