Missing Trio

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Missing Trio

Postby Greenie » Mon 09 Jan, 2012 10:04 am

There are three Yanks missing in the Snowy's http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/american-trio-missing-after-storm-hits-on-camping-trip-20120109-1pqrb.html

Not sure why she became separated when her tent blew down?
Greenie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Missing Trio

Postby Strider » Mon 09 Jan, 2012 10:18 am

Greenie wrote:There are three Yanks missing in the Snowy's http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/american-trio-missing-after-storm-hits-on-camping-trip-20120109-1pqrb.html

Not sure why she became separated when her tent blew down?

Perhaps she chased after it???? :?
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Mark F » Mon 09 Jan, 2012 11:47 am

Camping on Rams Head range is rather exposed so it not surprising a tent blew down. I expect they camped near Lake Cootabatamba (illegal) and possibly followed Swampy Plain River downstream from the lake. This is not a great idea as the river bends slowly to the north and only reaches the Alpine Way at Geehi - about 15-20km of rough country. The girl with the sense to use a compass may have crossed the low divide between Swampy Plain River and Leather Barrel Creek and followed the creek to the Alpine Way a few km from Dead Horse Gap.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby johnw » Mon 09 Jan, 2012 1:09 pm

Mark F wrote:Camping on Rams Head range is rather exposed so it not surprising a tent blew down. I expect they camped near Lake Cootabatamba (illegal) and possibly followed Swampy Plain River downstream from the lake. This is not a great idea as the river bends slowly to the north and only reaches the Alpine Way at Geehi - about 15-20km of rough country. The girl with the sense to use a compass may have crossed the low divide between Swampy Plain River and Leather Barrel Creek and followed the creek to the Alpine Way a few km from Dead Horse Gap.

Yes, sounds feasible. Coincidentally I spent all of last Thursday walking through the Rams Heads. Started from the Dead Horse Gap saddle and followed the old track up to South Rams Head. Easy to lose it as you get higher up. It was blowing pretty hard most of the time though probably not enough to knock down a decent, properly pitched tent. Saw no one camped anywhere in that neck of the woods. In fact I didn't see a soul up there all day and had the whole place to myself :), until I finally hooked up with the Kosi walkway about 6pm after visiting Rams Head and North Rams Head. Just saw a few summit stragglers (I assume) as I started down the track to the Cascade Trail Head. I note that these guys appear to have started out on Saturday; possibly a few more people may have been about and saw them? It is a pretty isolated area though, hopefully the others are found OK.

Re Cootapatamba, yes illegal to camp in the catchment but should be OK below the lake, for example near the hut?
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Greenie » Mon 09 Jan, 2012 4:20 pm

Greenie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Drifting » Mon 09 Jan, 2012 5:43 pm

I would like to pause at this moment and reflect on the fact that other people than just Americans get lost in the bush...

Just thought I'd say that, for the record, such as it is.
All good things are wild, and free.
Drifting
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Return to New South Wales & ACT