Movie Set Locations - megalong Valley

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Movie Set Locations - megalong Valley

Postby Webguy » Sun 29 Jan, 2012 10:11 pm

Heya all.

By chance I came across a website that was talking about and showing images of the old sets that still stand in the Megalong Valley, from the series Ned Kelly I believe, or was it Ben Hall?

I know where Mad Max 3 was shot, but would love a chance to go visit these movie set huts and get some photos. If you don't want to make it public, please PM me.
Webguy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Movie Set Locations - megalong Valley

Postby juxtaposer » Mon 30 Jan, 2012 9:04 am

I came by chance upon what Wilf Hilder later told me might have been the ruins of the old Ben Hall set. Sorry, I didn't have the map with me, so I can't give you a reference, but it was a couple of ks up the Six Foot Track from where it crosses the Megalong Road. It was on a broad flat on south side of the track, about a hundred or so metres in. It was totally dilapidated. At first I thought it was authentic, but then noticed a broken 70's transistor radio lying around and a koppers log post or two. I hope that gets you a little closer, but you will only have a wreck to photograph there. I can't see why this should be a secret.
juxtaposer
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Movie Set Locations - megalong Valley

Postby Webguy » Mon 30 Jan, 2012 12:49 pm

Thanks, the images I saw were huts in almost perfect condition with stone chimneys etc. One of the huts was fallen down but props etc were still in place.

Cheers
Webguy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT