Autumn Hike near Sydney?

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Autumn Hike near Sydney?

Postby kaputize » Tue 01 May, 2012 12:19 pm

Hi there,

I am a German student who is currently doing an elective in a hospital west of Sydney. I would very much like to do some hiking/walking in areas where you can walk through "european forests" - meaning - colorful trees =).

I have heard that Mount Wilson in the Blue Mountains would be a perfect place and yes, the picutres which I have found on the internet are really great. But the problem is that I can just go with public transportation. Train goes to Bell and from there would be a walk along a big and busy (?) road for about 10 km. That might be too dangerous... (But maybe there is another pathway leading to Mount Wilson of whom I have not heard yet...?)

Well, maybe someone in this forum can recommend another autumn place or give me some tipps how to get to Mount Wilson without committing suicide on the road ;).

Thanks so much in advance =)

Carolin
kaputize
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australia

Re: Autumn Hike near Sydney?

Postby anotherwalker » Tue 01 May, 2012 4:35 pm

I'd recommend checking out

http://www.wildwalks.com/bushwalking/ge ... lking.html

They have heaps of different walks all around NSW, plenty in the blue mountains, central coast and ranging from novice to expert :)

Let us know how you go :)

Happy hiking
AnotherWalker
anotherwalker
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby DaveNoble » Tue 01 May, 2012 6:27 pm

To see European type colourful trees - you would need to head down to Tasmania to see some native fagus - which is deciduous. But you would need to go soon. You can catch a train to Blackheath - and see a few tress along the railway - that are European - and should be colourful at present. But why not walk down to Blue Gum Forest in the Grose Valley and see some really magnificent Australian trees - its an amazing place! You won't see a forest like that back in Germany.

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jackhinde » Wed 02 May, 2012 9:34 am

catch a train to bowral and roam the streets of this and nearby towns, the southern highlands are quite colourful right now due to all the northern hemisphere weeds that have been planted over the last 150 years.
jackhinde
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kaputize » Wed 02 May, 2012 7:42 pm

Hey,

thanks so much for your replies.

Unfortunately, Tasmania is not into my budget. Already have been down in Melbourne to walk the Great Ocean Walk (amazing!).

Also hiked in the Blue Mountains so that I have experienced the "Australian trees" a lot. But I really love the autumn scenery - and my camera as well ;))

Bowral looks really nice. I think I will give it a try.

But still would like to visit Mount Wilson. Just hope that the traffic wont be that bad... =)
kaputize
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australia

Postby tom_brennan » Thu 03 May, 2012 10:21 am

kaputize wrote:Well, maybe someone in this forum can recommend another autumn place or give me some tipps how to get to Mount Wilson without committing suicide on the road ;).

Hire a car?

Otherwise there are gardens like Everglades in Leura, for example
http://www.everglades.org.au/
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jrg » Sat 05 May, 2012 5:52 pm

I'd consider hiring a car - you can easily get there and back in a day from Sydney and it will only set you back about $A50 or so, possibly less if you find a good deal. It's much quicker than the train as well. Mt Wilson is a long way even from the Bells Line of Road, let alone Bell station.
Mount Wilson is beautiful in autumn - but you need to go very soon, the best time of year is about the 1st of May. Go next weekend if you can.

Blackheath also has some european trees that turn colourful in autumn - the main street along the railway line doesn't have that much colour but the back streets do.
jrg
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to New South Wales & ACT