Mt Twiss

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt Twiss

Postby kanangra » Sat 19 May, 2012 6:35 pm

I took a run up the mountains this morning and decided on a visit to this the western terminus of Lieutenant William Dawes 1789 journey to Mt Hay. They proceeded on a bearing by line of sight which meant they went against the grain of the country with much up and down in and out of creeks. The small party was out for 5 days in reaching Mt Twiss where they turned around, well short of their goal.

For me it was a far easier proposition. I parked at the entrance to Linden Observatory and jogged out along the good road to the pumping station. From there I followed the fire road to a point where the main ridge swings right and Dawes Ridge continues north. From here on it is now only a foot track though when I last came through, many years ago now, it was a fire road. It is marked with a small post at the beginning that says "Low Impact" and has a picture of a pushbike on it. Though I reckon it would be a bit overgrown for pushbikes now. The track swings west around Mt Twiss before swinging back east to follow the ridge to the north. I clambered up for some great views to the north and west of Mts Hay, Tomah, and Bell. the valley of Woodford Ck was below. There was a small cairn at the lookout but I went a bit further to the top where there were another couple of small cairns. The prospect provided a remote feel even though very close to civilisation. It was just possible to make out a few houses on the main Blue Mts. ridge to the south.

Once home I got the maps out and noticed the possibility of linking a walk out along Dawes ridge with a walk back along Lawson ridge. To save walking along the highway I could cut down and across at Lake Woodford. The only tricky bit would be in and out of Woodford Ck to link up the end of Dawes Ridge with the end of Lawson Riddge? I think I will give this a try on Sat. 9th June.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Mt Twiss

Postby Grabeach » Tue 22 May, 2012 8:23 am

Walked out Lawson Ridge down to the main creek junction. Came back the same way as there was only one car. The cliff line on Lawson Ridge was of no significance. From what I can remember from 16 years ago, there may have been broken cliffs on the other side of Woodford Ck, but these shouldn’t be a problem.

I have been up the eastern branch of Dawes Ridge from the Wentworth / Dawes Cks junction, but there were only views because it was post bushfires. The tops on the western branch looked rockier, so the views from there should be excellent. Always meant to go out there sometime ..... Shame about the fire trails overgrowing, as they were great mountain bike rides.

It was about 4 ½ hrs walking time each way out to Lawson Point- though we hurried a bit on the way back (no torches). As the Mountains seem to be particularly scrubby recently, be prepared for a long day.

Graeme
Grabeach
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby kanangra » Tue 22 May, 2012 9:19 am

Thanks for that Graeme. I'll let you know how I go. I'm looking forward to it. Should be interesting. The crux is the untracked bit from Lawson Lkt across to the track on Dawes Ridge. Yes you would have a lot of trouble riding a bike on Daws Ridge. Having said that I did see some tyre impressions in the clay below Mt Twiss. No telling how old they were though. It woulod be very difficult to get out there by bike now.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby juxtaposer » Thu 24 May, 2012 8:06 pm

Sounds like a great walk. I've been to the end of both those ridges. Lawson has an easy get down at the end, from memory. And good views along Dawes Ridge in particular of the Calendina Loop. Wentworth Creek is always scrubby and slow, easier going down than up. Good luck. I'm glad to hear those tracks are finally overgrowing. I hope they stay that way. I remember years ago having to leap aside from some trail bikers flying past on the Linden Ridge. Apart from those old bulldozed trails it's all true wilderness out there and that's the way it ought to be.
juxtaposer
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby kanangra » Sat 09 Jun, 2012 5:47 pm

Well I was able to get out today as planned and completed the circuit from Hazelbrook out along Lawson ridge to the end and then down into and across Woodford Ck and up the other side to pick up the Mt Twiss Track which I followed back to the resevoir and then down to Lake Woodford and back up the other side before returning to the car via Burgess and Horseshoe Falls. An excellent day. I will post a few more details and hopefully a photo or two when i get a chance. This is a trip i highly recommend although the off track section into and across Woodford Ck is demanding.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT