Eight Mile Spur advice

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Eight Mile Spur advice

Postby Hiking Exped » Mon 29 Nov, 2021 2:59 pm

Anyone been up eight mile spur and over rocky ridge this year? Not been up that way for a couple of years and was wondering on track condition.

Last time I did it there was an overgrown section on the ridge down to refrigerator gap making navigation a little difficult.

Thanks in advance all.
Hiking Exped
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Eight Mile Spur advice

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 30 Nov, 2021 12:37 pm

I have only walked it once , not long after it was cleared up to the Rocky Ridge. It does seem to go up, up and up.It is quite a sustained ascent really.I went up from 8 Mile flat to The Bluff summit and then over to camp at the Bluff hut in a day . It was May and thankfully not very hot .
Last edited by paidal_chalne_vala on Tue 30 Nov, 2021 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby Drew » Tue 30 Nov, 2021 3:04 pm

I walked it weekend before last, going down. I lost the track briefly around the ridge top but it was easy to find again. I crossed paths with two big groups of private school girls and one large group of adult walkers, so the track is getting plenty of use - I hadn't seen anyone on it before then. Quite a slog going up I imagine especially if you're going over the Bluff too!
Drew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Hiking Exped » Wed 01 Dec, 2021 5:33 am

Thanks both,

Yes I recall it’s a long accent, but a nice way to get up onto the Bluff without a long drive. A nice days hike with the afternoon above the tree line on the Bluff, before camping by the hut (still a favourite camp spot on the top). I know the GGS kids use the route a lot as often see them up that way.

Sounds like it’s ok though so shall add that to my routes to do in the next few weeks before it gets too hot.

Thanks again,
Hiking Exped
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 01 Dec, 2021 9:09 am

I still have yet to walk the 14 Mile spur back down to Ritchies hut. That would make a better loop than descending via the 16 mile jeep track which is simple to follow.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Hiking Exped » Thu 02 Dec, 2021 2:53 pm

If by 14 mile spur you mean the spur from the track below Mt Eadley Stone, west of the 16 mile jeep track, (not marked on all maps). I did that about two years ago and it was very very overgrown and *&%$#! hard in parts. In truth I lost the track (if there was one) so headed west and followed 14 mile creek down. I was glad to get to Ritchies that day. That spur and four mile spur up to Mt Buller would be great to use for good circuits if not so overgrown. Four and Six are used a lot by the Deer Hunters. They let the dogs loose and take the Deer out like snipers from some high rocks on Brocks Road. They ensured me they would not take me out the last time I went up four to Buller, but very overgrown too.
Hiking Exped
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Bruns69 » Mon 06 Dec, 2021 8:00 pm

We walked 8 mile spur this weekend from 8 mile flat to the Bluff hut. Lost the track a few hundred meters before Refrigerator gap (It took a few minutes to find it). It was quite busy at the hut with a mix of hikers and 4wd. We went down the day after along sixteen mile jeep track (easy to follow). Went back to 8 mile flat along the river.
Bruns69
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Hiking Exped » Tue 07 Dec, 2021 12:16 pm

Great to know. The Bluff hut always gets busy this time of year. I headed up onto Stirling to test some new bits of kit Sunday. A few Bikepackers and Mountain Bikers about, but lovely weather and I had the summit to myself.

I’ll likely do Rocky Ridge on a midweek ramble. Much less activity on Bluff mid week.
Hiking Exped
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 25 Dec, 2021 6:00 pm

I walked that Loop from 8 Mile flat up to the Bluff summit and the Bluff hut via 8 Mile spur and Bluff foot track and returned the next day by the 16 Mile Jeep track , Ritchie's hut and 8 Mile Flat about 5 years ago. It was a solid excursion and doing it in May in clear weather was smart because it was not hot. Camping at Ritchie's hut is also enjoyable.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Maxp20 » Sun 29 Oct, 2023 12:23 pm

Has anyone been up Eight Mile Spur lately? This is the most recent thread I can find on eight mile spur up to the Bluff, so any advice on how overgrown or not the track is would be great, thanks!
Maxp20
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Baeng72 » Sun 29 Oct, 2023 1:49 pm

I walked from 8-mile flat up to Fridge gap, then down via Bluff Road/Brocks road in May.
It was fine then, if somewhat steep in places.
https://youtu.be/MOdTWGkE_L4
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Victoria