Wellington river track ?

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Wellington river track ?

Postby Anotherjonesy » Wed 01 Dec, 2021 12:57 pm

G'day , planning a 3 day loop this weekend , a bit over tamboritha on Mcmillans track, then take in the Tali Karn loop back to breakfast creek via the Wellington river track.

Will this be passable this weekend, or still to high do you think from all that rain a few weeks ago?

Thanks
Anotherjonesy
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Re: Wellington river track ?

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 01 Dec, 2021 3:08 pm

BTAC did some track work on the section of the track that has the 18 river crossings, AFAIK. I am putting off all river crossings until about Xmas.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby Anotherjonesy » Thu 02 Dec, 2021 5:56 pm

Fair call, I had to cancel macmillans twice due to the November rain. Macallaster river has taken three weeks to drop back to a normal height ( not sure about tonight's storm but ). I'll have a look at it first up at the bridge, if it looks ok I'll do it, otherwise I'll do a couple of overnighters moving in between with car.
Anotherjonesy
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Anotherjonesy » Mon 06 Dec, 2021 7:33 pm

Did the river crossings this morning, no problems at all. Pretty average 3kms down from Tali Karn last night, more of an exercise in pain than fun with the track, did 36kms yesterday, a stupid idea, hobbling now. Once down on the river flats not bad walking , plenty of deer and wild dogs through there. Did breakfast creek up to Kelly's hut Saturday , only a charitable Tiger snake allowed me to continue going up Mt Tamboritha. I just didn't see it, normally good at seeing them first, only it decided to move from under my feet instead of tag me, the neck was flattened but as he swung back, was an absolute thumper also!

The circuit
Day 1- Breakfast ck- Mt Tamboritha- Kelly's hut ( up Mcmillans
Day 2- Kelly's hut - MacFarlane saddle- lake Tali Karn - Wellington river ( 6km camp)
Day 3- Wellington river track - breakfast creek.

72km in 48hours, done !
Anotherjonesy
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 07 Dec, 2021 7:07 pm

You're a machine Anotherjonesy! 72km in 2 days.
I'd be happy to do it in 3 days, and that would be easy tracks, not hard stuff!
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 08 Dec, 2021 6:56 pm

That is a huge effort. Did you follow McMillan's track most of the way ? Do you have the McMillan's track guide book?.36 kms in one day is mental.
I did 22kms in one day last month and was hearing my knees complain for weeks afterwards esp. because the last 7 or 8 kms down Black Possum spur were almost vertical.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Anotherjonesy » Wed 08 Dec, 2021 9:24 pm

Yep went up Mcmillans until it veered off at moroka Rd and I swung across to MacFarlane saddle. I've got the guide book. Originally was meant to do entire Mcmillans few weeks ago , but cancelled it twice due to rain. Run out of time now this year. Might have a crack in February, bit of training, got big plans next 18 months if our lordships allow...
Anotherjonesy
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby bigkev » Fri 10 Dec, 2021 5:34 pm

Big effort Jonesy ...can we look forward to another video? You really dodged a bullet by pulling the pin on the full length of McMillans Track I'm thinking with all the rain about, the folks on the AAWT this spring will be really earning it!

I was actually thinking of you when I saw that the coppers were searching the Crooked RIver area for the missing Wonnangatta Campers - that whole episode was all a little bit too close to home for comfort!

How was the scrub from Breakfast Creek to Mt Tamboritha?
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Anotherjonesy » Sat 11 Dec, 2021 5:26 am

bigkev wrote:Big effort Jonesy ...can we look forward to another video? You really dodged a bullet by pulling the pin on the full length of McMillans Track I'm thinking with all the rain about, the folks on the AAWT this spring will be really earning it!

I was actually thinking of you when I saw that the coppers were searching the Crooked RIver area for the missing Wonnangatta Campers - that whole episode was all a little bit too close to home for comfort!

How was the scrub from Breakfast Creek to Mt Tamboritha?

Ha, was actually thinking the same thing about him , 3-4 weeks ago before the arrest had an uneasy feeling about going out there incase he did a runner out there after the 60mins episode heat was turned up ....turns out he was ! Glad that's come to an end finally.

Yeah track up from breakfast creek is good mostly, apart from those clearings near the top , needed to get the GPS out to find where the track exited the clearings a couple of times. Otherwise it's clear and well marked.
Wellington river track was really overgrown in a couple of spots, mostly clear but

Yeah I did a rough little video.
https://youtu.be/G_44Q7ogOAA
Anotherjonesy
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Baeng72 » Sat 11 Dec, 2021 11:19 am

Nice Video! I loved the views the first day.
When you said 2k an hour, I thought there's hope for me yet, but the kicker was you'd gained 1Km altitude, might 1Km an hour for me or less then. :)
Looked like great country, the Tiger was just warning you to *&%$#! off or things will go south real quick! :D
The way you whistle at wild dogs reminds me of how I love to spook foxes when you see them loping around the suburbs. Whistle or call out to them, and watch them run.
Did you take your boots/shoes off for those river crossings, or too much effort?
I've got Chapman's book on McMillan trail, I'd like to check out Snowy Bluff one day, now I'll have to add Tali Karng & Tamboritha to the to do list.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GBW » Sat 11 Dec, 2021 12:46 pm

Baeng72 wrote:Did you take your boots/shoes off for those river crossings, or too much effort?

it would take forever if you did that!
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Sat 11 Dec, 2021 1:37 pm

GBW wrote:
Baeng72 wrote:Did you take your boots/shoes off for those river crossings, or too much effort?

it would take forever if you did that!

Yep. And I bet there are people who are so particular about not walking with wet feet that they'd do it too.
But it was more of a leading question. I've read Big Kev wears something called Tevas on his blog, and others talk of water-boots/shoes.
I'm a not taking shoes off 'till camp kind of guy. Will walk all day in wet socks, wool socks are fine when wet.
Just wondering what someone who's done a long distance bushwalk like Jonesey does, so asked a question that might elicit an explanation...or not. :)
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Anotherjonesy » Sat 11 Dec, 2021 1:52 pm

Haha yeah left them on. Wet feet not ideal once you start getting into 20kms plus a day , but couldn't be bothered. Attempted to keep dry feet on aawt , then gave up to just socks, at least semi dry shoes then. The idea of putting my feet into frozen shoes when I get up is upsetting.
Anotherjonesy
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby GBW » Sat 11 Dec, 2021 1:54 pm

Twice I've walked up to the lake and back so that's 32 river crossings each time. It's not that big a deal having wet boots once you get past the squish squish part. Light weight quick drying runners are probably better suited to this walk. It's a great walk to do in the summer. It more the time factor of 5-10min to remove gaiters, boots and socks then put them back on.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 11 Dec, 2021 5:28 pm

I walked that Wellington River track years ago in March. The weather was hot and humid and the water level in the river was low so boots were left on the whole way.
For one off river crossings such as the Tumut River near Round Mountain or Big River at the T spur then the boots come off and my neoprene reef shoes come out .I enjoyed the video. It is a solid effort but IMHO Lake TK has voodoo properties that requires a full day to explore and appreciate.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 14 Dec, 2021 2:08 pm

BTAC will be doing some track clearing work out along this river crossings route over the late Jan. long weekend 2022.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Sat 17 Dec, 2022 1:50 am

Any recent info on Wellington River height? Based on online resources I expect it to be up a bit but still doable?

Also wondering if there are any campsites between the bridge and the one at the bottom of Riggalls...thinking i might not be able to get walking until later in the day (roughly how long does it take to get to the Riggalls campsite, with all the river crossings, out of curiosity?)

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby indented » Sat 17 Dec, 2022 3:07 pm

Can't speak to current conditions but there's several campsites before the one at the Riggal junction. It took our group 4-5 hours to the Riggal campsite in April last year, about the same on the return.
indented
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Sat 17 Dec, 2022 3:39 pm

indented wrote:Can't speak to current conditions but there's several campsites before the one at the Riggal junction. It took our group 4-5 hours to the Riggal campsite in April last year, about the same on the return.
Perfect, thanks

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 19 Dec, 2022 2:41 pm

BTAC are doing more track work in this area including this route ,for the week after Xmas 2022.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Victoria