Falls Creek to Mt Hotham Alpine Crossing

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Falls Creek to Mt Hotham Alpine Crossing

Postby crockle » Sat 29 Oct, 2022 9:48 pm

Thanks for that CraigVIC - the conference is starting this coming Tuesday .
Reading the draft program, one is filled with an electric frisson of excitement about the universal precepts of corporate business models being applied to public outdoor places.

Monetise. 'Add value'. Target the market segment.
Use an imported nomenclature that has no history of use in this country.

Time to pipe down, put up, and pay my priority-experience premium hiking fee.
So y'all - let's go trailwalking !
crockle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 30 Oct, 2022 8:22 am

If this FHAC development all happens and the project goes ahead then I fail to see how " they " can charge us Back country XC Skiers to use the Bogong High Plains in July , August and September when we seldom use any set routes that follow any pole lines!.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.
Region: Victoria

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 31 Oct, 2022 5:58 am

A parks pass would be easy to introduce.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Xplora » Mon 31 Oct, 2022 6:42 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:If this FHAC development all happens and the project goes ahead then I fail to see how " they " can charge us Back country XC Skiers to use the Bogong High Plains in July , August and September when we seldom use any set routes that follow any pole lines!.

I don't recall reading anything about people having to pay such as you suggest.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 31 Oct, 2022 7:36 am

It all smells like privatization of our national Parks and private development by incremental steps to me.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xplora » Mon 31 Oct, 2022 5:58 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:It all smells like privatization of our national Parks and private development by incremental steps to me.

I understand how you feel but I don't think scaremongering without facts or a basis for these claims is helpful. This is not Fakebook.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crockle » Thu 03 Nov, 2022 11:37 am

CraigVIC wrote: the TRC conference. Amongst friends, it will probably offer some insight..
https://trctourism.wpenginepowered.com/ ... 092022.pdf

I note in passing, that presenting at the conference is Matt Harrington of Yarra Ranges Council, speaking on "Navigating the legal environment for trail construction"
Could be a touch embarrassing, I don't know... : - https://vnpa.org.au/yarra-ranges-nation ... b6de86130d
crockle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 03 Nov, 2022 6:01 pm

Xplora wrote:
paidal_chalne_vala wrote:It all smells like privatization of our national Parks and private development by incremental steps to me.

I understand how you feel but I don't think scaremongering without facts or a basis for these claims is helpful. This is not Fakebook.

The FakeBook is a jazz song book used by us musicians as a quick way to bluff our way through innunerable Jazz tunes from the Golden era of jazz i.e before Rock music took over.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xplora » Fri 04 Nov, 2022 6:12 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:
Xplora wrote:

The FakeBook is a jazz song book used by us musicians as a quick way to bluff our way through innunerable Jazz tunes from the Golden era of jazz i.e before Rock music took over.

Would Farcebook be more appropriate "Farce is a comedy that seeks to entertain an audience through situations that are highly exaggerated, extravagant, ridiculous, absurd, and improbable." - Wikipedia
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lophophaps » Sat 26 Nov, 2022 11:06 am

Some time ago, Parks Victoria advised that FHAC had strong support. My vague recollection is that this was qualified by saying that business interests or similar strongly supported FHAC. Can someone please direct me to where PV gave this misleading information?

There were 196 public submissions. These had
90 per cent against
5 per cent for
4 per cent neutral.
Numbers have been rounded. There were around 30 submissions not available for public viewing, probably from resorts and commercial interests. With 30 such submissions all for FHAC the figures are now 78, 18 and 4 per cent. That is, there are 4.3 times for as against, at most.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 02 May, 2023 9:46 am

Another article about FHAC
https://cosmosmagazine.com/earth/sustai ... nt-debate/

I'm attempting to locate a history of the Alpine NP names. The current name is Alpine NP. I can vaguely recall parts of this having names such as Bogong Unit and Wonnangatta-Moroka Unit. Can anyone advise me of the names and when they changed?
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby peregrinator » Tue 02 May, 2023 11:06 am

I don't have precise answers to your question, but can quote a few published details.

1. Melbourne University Mountaineering Club (1970, rev. ed. 1974) Bushwalking in the Australian Alps. Melbourne University Mountaineering Club.

Around 1890,
an awareness developed of the value of preserving the Buffalo Plateau as a National Park . . . [T]he government in 1898 made its first reservation of land on the Buffalo Plateau for a National Park. The area was subsequently extended in 1908 and 1948, but today [1974] this is still the only National Park in the Victorian Alps.

2. Sandra Bardwell (1979) 50 Bushwalks in Victoria: discovering the Victorian countryside on foot. Anne O'Donovan P/L.

The areas covered by all the walks in this section [The High Country, and also in the following section, The Snowy Range] will probably come under the control of the National Parks Service during 1980 or 1981.

These walks are: Mt Bogong; Heathy Spur; Nt Niggerhead [sic] and the Bogong High Plains; Bungalow Spur and Mt Feathertop; Razorback and Mt Feathertop; Mt Loch and Cobungra Gap; Mt Tabletop; Bryces Gorge; Mt Whitelaw; Mustering Flat.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 02 May, 2023 11:37 am

Vgls seems to have some leads.
1.A preliminary planning report on the proposed Wonnangatta/Moroka National Park / prepared by P.R. Boadle.

https://www.vgls.vic.gov.au/client/en_A ... %29&ps=300
A report on huts in Bogong National Park / P.R. Boadle.

https://www.vgls.vic.gov.au/client/en_A ... ps=300&h=8

This search lists titles such as "Victoria needs an Alpine National Park : the alps, everyone's heritage / Department of Conservation Forests Lands"
and planning for units of Alpine nation park.
https://www.vgls.vic.gov.au/client/en_A ... 00&ir=Both
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby peregrinator » Tue 02 May, 2023 11:56 am

Graeme Wheeler (1991) The scroggin eaters: a history of bushwalking in Victoria, to 1989. Federation of Victorian walking clubs & Pindari Publications (p.169).

The Alpine National Park Bill was finally passed by Parliament in 1989 and opened by the minister for CFL [Conservation, Forests and Lands] in December that year.

I'm not clear on what "opened" means in that sentence. Chapter 12 of the book 'Gains and Losses - Conservation' details the history of the sustained struggle bushwalkers and conservationists put up against minority vested interests.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Wed 03 May, 2023 6:57 am

Lophophaps wrote:Another article about FHAC
https://cosmosmagazine.com/earth/sustai ... nt-debate/

I'm attempting to locate a history of the Alpine NP names. The current name is Alpine NP. I can vaguely recall parts of this having names such as Bogong Unit and Wonnangatta-Moroka Unit. Can anyone advise me of the names and when they changed?

Bogong area was declared its own National Park in 1/10/1981 by Act of Parliament but then included into the Alpine National Park in 1988 I think. You can read the Bill to change the Act here:
http://classic.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/ ... 9340_2.pdf
and that will also show the other names you seek which were all separate parks. Unit names are given to each area now and that reflects the previous National park name. Bogong has a northern and southern unit. The Greater Alpine National Park management plan was created and included a number of other National Parks but those parks are still not part of the Alpine NP. They are parks on their own.

"The Greater Alpine National Parks Management Plan guides the management of
the Alpine, Baw Baw, Errinundra, Mount Buffalo and Snowy River National Parks,
Avon Wilderness Park, Tara Range Park, and Walhalla, Howqua Hills, Grant, Mount
Wills and Mount Murphy Historic Areas "
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 03 May, 2023 9:35 am

Xplorer, thanks. Your date revived my memory - I made a submission in 1988 about an Alpine National Park. The late 1980s is good enough for the creation of the ANP, over 30 years ago. The context is that someone said that a Bogong NP exists now.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Previous

Return to Victoria