Viking Saddle water

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Viking Saddle water

Postby bernieq » Wed 01 Mar, 2023 9:24 pm

Just back from the Viking circuit (4th time) and thought it wise to provide a water-availability update as we were a little surprised. Although it seems to have rained at the right time to promote growth, it's actually been quite dry in recent months.

Mac Springs was flowing but about as slowly as I've seen. Not likely to stop any time soon but the recharge area (the flats between the Springs & the Howitt carpark) were completely dry.

Camp Creek was also slower than usual (but also not about to stop). However, given the poor flow rates, we thought it prudent to carry extra water & not rely on Viking Saddle. I can confirm that the Viking Saddle is completely dry - checked all the way down to the drop (can't call it a waterfall - no water, not even a puddle).

I'll also post a note in the AAWT thread as it will be 'challenging' to carry enough water between Barry Saddle & Camp Creek.
(edited to fix a typo)
Last edited by bernieq on Mon 06 Mar, 2023 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: Viking Saddle water

Postby Baeng72 » Thu 02 Mar, 2023 10:50 am

Nice info, thanks.
This is only tangentially related, but a month or so ago (26th of Jan), I went up SNS spur to the Crosscut and the flow at the King River (south branch) at the SNS campsite had slowed noticeably since the previous time I sullied that place on the 3rd of Jan, so it seemed to me it was drying up quickly in that area.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby indented » Thu 30 Mar, 2023 1:57 pm

Has anyone been up recently that can update on the water in the saddle? Heading up there next week and would prefer not to carry two days of water through there if it can be avoided. There's been some decent rain this week but I don't know how fast it dries out up there.

Also keen for any word on the road to Howitt car park.
indented
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby bernieq » Sun 02 Apr, 2023 6:56 pm

Mt Buller has had 100mm in the last 10 days of March - not enough to make a lasting difference, I suspect (ie carry water). The road to Howitt carpark is OK for 2WD but there are a few places (N of the airstrip) where you'd need to pick your line through some rough bits. Go slowly & allow extra time. The more clearance the vehicle has, the better.

bernieq

Postby nihil » Mon 03 Apr, 2023 2:55 pm

Thanks so much for this note Bernieq!

I'm planning a Walhalla to Hotham walk soon, can you tell me how much water you'd suggest packing per person for the haul between?
nihil
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby bernieq » Mon 03 Apr, 2023 8:45 pm

No - it depends on weather, how much you drink, how fast you walk, where you plan to camp.

There is water at Mt Spec and, probably, at Barry Saddle (tank). If you can definately do that in one day then you need a day's water. If you're mortal, you'll need to camp in between so you'll need 2 day's water.

I would advise, given you're travelling North, that it makes more sense, from Catherine Saddle, to continue up the road all the way to Camp Creek (rather than, <1 km up the road, leaving it to climb steeply up to the ridge that continues to climb to the camp below Mt Spec ‐ then having to descend to Camp Ck for water).

bernieq

Postby nihil » Mon 03 Apr, 2023 9:05 pm

Thanks Bernieq.

I did this walk in 2012 and there was no water at Viking saddle then. It was pretty rough! I figure I'll pack up 6 litres and put in a food drop at Mt Selwyn road, check out the creek there, so I can travel light through that challenging section.
nihil
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 04 Apr, 2023 4:25 pm

Weather forecast for Easter long weekend is a bit damp. Should be water about. :)
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Victoria