Tamboritha to Ligar

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Tamboritha to Ligar

Postby north-north-west » Mon 21 Dec, 2009 6:53 pm

Has anyone done this ridgeline walk? I've been thinking about a loop with the start/finish at Breakfast Creek, following McMillans for a bit, then the old foottrack the map shows along the ridge. Had originally planned to go up Ligar and down from Tamboritha, but my little scout up Ligar yesterday has me wondering about it - the north face of Ligar looks a beast to get past, and I reckon it'd be easier and safer going up it than down, particularly with a full pack. Seems like you'd have to sidle around the shelf faces, where it's steep and loose ground.
Any info out there?
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Re: Tamboritha to Ligar

Postby soulfree » Mon 21 Dec, 2009 9:20 pm

My old stamping ground! The traditional way to go up The Crinoline as Mt Ligar is commonly called is via the Sugarloaf to the west. Climb this from just west of the MGS Camp at Breakfast Creek, cross to the saddle and easy to the top. The track down to Brekky Ck is steep so be warned - it is treacherous in wet weather. The long Ridge from Mt Tamboritha to The Crinoline and down to Brekky Creek is well worth doing. Probably an easy loop would be to start from Wellington River car park, then head up Benison's Spur to Benison's lookout, up the road to Tamoritha Saddle and on along the ridgeline to The Crinloine. An easier descent would be to descend to Brekky Creek via The Sugarloaf.

Hope this helps some.
soulfree
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby north-north-west » Mon 21 Dec, 2009 9:52 pm

Thanks.
McMillans to the ridge is easier than the climb to the Sugarloaf - it's a zigzag track so nowhere near as steep as the map makes it look. But I do want to get up the Sugarloaf some time as well, it looks like fun.
I was just worried about that northern face of Ligar - from the top it looks horrid. Am I right about having to sidle around the rock faces? There does seem to be a footpad that goes around that way but it's very faint.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby soulfree » Sun 27 Dec, 2009 6:48 pm

The track used to be pretty easy to pick up mind you I haven't walked it since 1980

Parts of the track down to Brekky Ck are quite steep
soulfree
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby CaptainC » Mon 24 May, 2010 10:36 pm

Long Hill to the Crinoline isn't as hard as it looks. Keep to the right of the main spur and you can find an easier way up the rocks. If all else fails head to the right hand side of the summit. It just keeps going gradually up.

The direct route down to Brekky Creek is now closed and you're meant to go down from near the Sugarloaf. The whole area is much less walked than before the fires.
CaptainC
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Tue 25 May, 2010 7:21 pm

Thanks. I reckoned it would be easier from the other direction than it looks from the summit. It would have to, really, or no-one would ever get through.

Still trying to organise this one. It seems something else always intervenes - currently I'm just trying to get back a decent amount of fitness after an injury. Still walking, but only daywalks and taking it rather gently.
Maybe have to wait until next summer.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby skotty_aus » Sun 01 Aug, 2010 9:51 pm

Wollangarra Outdoor Education - Stage 3 crew did some trackwork on the section to the Rock Shelter, and about 2/3km along from that.
skotty_aus
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Return to Victoria