Mt Hotham to Mt Bogong Winter Hike

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Mt Hotham to Mt Bogong Winter Hike

Postby Xplora » Thu 24 Sep, 2020 10:22 am

slparker wrote:Looking at going this way on the weekend - I am tipping that there is a strong possibility that the river might be too high for a crossing?

It would be mid thigh now. If most of tomorrow falls as snow then it will not change that much in the short term. What snow is about now is more of a nuisance and not worth snowshoes but that could change also tomorrow. Temps next week are cold enough to keep a bit there for a week so you will probably need them if you hold off. My thoughts would be to hold off. I am thinking the snow will be quite dry and soft and will not freeze overnight on Friday. Maybe a bit of freeze/thaw later in the week with a bit of rain coming on Wednesday.

Go the Grey Hills and don't get your feet wet at all.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Mt Hotham to Mt Bogong Winter Hike

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 24 Sep, 2020 8:37 pm

Monday could be XC Skiable on sections of Mt. Bogong. There is little base left so it could be very slow and sticky to ski on or conversely quite icy :-0 if it thaws a bit on Monday night and freezes before dawn on Tuesday 29/9/20.
Micro spikes could be handy .
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.
Region: Victoria

Previous

Return to Victoria