Bogong High Plains region tracks

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Bogong High Plains region tracks

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 23 Oct, 2020 10:47 am

If the warders ever allow the Melbourne prisoners to leave, I'm toying with a trip to the Bogong High Plains. I've not been to the following places for ages and advice is sought.

The intent is to walk from Camp Creek Gap to Harrietville. The north edge of my high plains maps is just above Mountain Creek, with a note on one saying to Trappers Gap. Camp Creek Gap is a little beyond that. Can someone please advise if the road from Mountain Creek to Camp Creek Gap is viable to 2WD vehicles, and how far it is? If I have to walk to Camp Creek Gap, I believe that there's foot track cutting off the switchbacks just before the gap. Is this correct?

The wretched Falls-Hotham walk had a plan for a lodge on Diamantina Spur. I may stop there, but do not know of the altitude. I recall a number of nice spots, and don't want to stop on one to find the next day that I could have gone up another bump. Can someone please advise of the altitude? Thanks.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Re: Bogong High Plains region tracks

Postby peregrinator » Fri 23 Oct, 2020 11:19 am

In 2015, there was a road sign at Trappers Gap indicating 4WD. I don't have one of those, so walked. Time to get to Camp Creek Gap was 01:20. To put that in context, Michell Hut from there was 01:00. I don't recall a foot track just before Camp Creek Gap.

To give further context to my elapsed times, I was not travelling as far as Harrietville, so would have been carrying a smaller load than you will probably require.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Fri 23 Oct, 2020 11:34 am

Lophophaps wrote:The wretched Falls-Hotham walk had a plan for a lodge on Diamantina Spur. I may stop there, but do not know of the altitude. I recall a number of nice spots, and don't want to stop on one to find the next day that I could have gone up another bump. Can someone please advise of the altitude? Thanks.

You can camp right on the top. OK, I did it with a couple of metres of snow under the tent, but I think it would still be viable in summer.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 23 Oct, 2020 5:59 pm

Thanks. Another option is walking from the gate on the Mountain Creek track, which may be just before Sodawater Creek. This means a road bash of a few hours, 370 metres of climbing and about 6 kilometres to Camp Creek Gap. Camping on The Razorback is an option. There's a nice hollow near Twin Knobs, very sheltered and just needs a left turn at the top.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Xplora » Sat 24 Oct, 2020 8:22 am

Lophophaps wrote:Thanks. Another option is walking from the gate on the Mountain Creek track, which may be just before Sodawater Creek. This means a road bash of a few hours, 370 metres of climbing and about 6 kilometres to Camp Creek Gap. Camping on The Razorback is an option. There's a nice hollow near Twin Knobs, very sheltered and just needs a left turn at the top.

Walking from Mountain Creek gate to Camp Creek gap would be fine. Not as much of a road than a rough 4wd track and it doesn't even feel like you are walking on a road. You could do the Staircase also but Eskdale spur is nice as well if you have never done it. The way things are going with the weather, I doubt Big river will be and easy cross at either point. Certainly not T spur. That could mean a Grey Hills walk if you want to avoid walking on formed roads. Time will tell and I am guessing you would have a couple of weeks before release anyway.

I have seen plenty of 2wd vehicles at Camp Creek Gap during the summer. Not recommended in winter though and the road up can get a bit muddy especially if this wet continues. Getting yourself back to your car will be interesting.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lophophaps » Sat 24 Oct, 2020 10:30 am

I'm favouring driving to Trappers Gap and Camp Creek Gap as this seems to be closer with less climbing than walking from the gate on Mountain Creek. The route is Eskdale, Quartz Ridge, Ropers, and will not be for a while, January. At that time, Big River is easy to cross, sometimes with stepping stones. Grey Hills is an option if there's not too much scrub and it's not too hot. At Bright there's a taxi to Mount Beauty, from where the taxi can take me as far as possible. At Harrietville take the Omeo bus to Bright, then home.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Baeng72 » Sun 25 Oct, 2020 10:45 am

This seems like a good thread to jump in with some questions.
Getting from Mt Bogong to Razorback (and onto Feathertop) isn't clear to me.
I think you can head down the Quartz Ridge, then Black Possum Spur to Junction Dam/Bogong village.
If that's a reasonable path, then go Spring Saddle track, Fainter fire tack for a long while until Tawonga Huts and then it isn't obvious, but it looks like a light pad to Westons Hut, then past Blair's hut to Diamantina spur.
Is that a route that makes sense or is there better? I'm looking at SV maps Bogong Alpine area as a guide.
Regarding the direction, after reading Mr Fiascos trials and tribulations on the Diamantina Spur, is it better to ascend or descend?
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lophophaps » Sun 25 Oct, 2020 11:39 am

Baeng72, the only obstacle I can see is crossing the Kiewa River East Branch. I have not been to Lake Guy for ages, and do not know if the dam wall is a viable crossing point. There are a few water points climbing from Bogong Village, including a tap just above the road. From memory there's a creek about 600 metres from Bogong Jack Saddle.

At Fainter North, where the track veers SW and then south, go west to the summit, then south to Fainter and Jaithmathang. Some is on the track, it's light scrub, quite open with a few rocky sections, lovely walking. There's water descending into the saddle west of Tawonga Huts. I'd stay high and go SE, meeting the pole line from pole 333 to Tawonga huts at about 1760 metres. My maps are 20-40 years old and one shows a foot track going SE from the saddle west of Tawonga Huts. This track may not exist but it's open or skirting the treeline. I went from Westons to Blairs, Diamantina, Razorback and Federation for a late lunch. My plan is to camp at Blairs and get up early before it gets too hot and not have a near death experience like last time.

Fainters map.png
Fainters map.png (592.29 KiB) Viewed 29973 times
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Baeng72 » Sun 25 Oct, 2020 1:37 pm

Hey, thanks for the info!
It appears there's a loop of Lake Guy, so I think that's not an major issue.
If it is walking you are looking for try the 3km loop around the dam.

https://www.visitbright.com.au/listing/ ... g-village/
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 29 Oct, 2020 5:42 pm

I have walked most of these routes within the past three years.
I have done trip reports for many of these treks.
If you approach Camp Creek Gap in summer in a vehicle it can be viable in a 2 WD . Not great but possible. The 4 x 4 track was graded about two years ago.
I drive an AWD with All Terrain tyres and I always carry a chainsaw so these matters do not often cross my mind.

Dropping off Mt. Bogong via the Quartz ridge is simple in good green season weather. The track was cleared two? years ago. Someone told me the notorious Black Possum spur track coming off Mt. Arthur has been cleared too but I have not looked at it myself.
Once you are off The Quartz Ridge then heading up Timm's spur is simple. Someone told me that Major parts of the Grey Hills have been cleared somewhat.
When we trekked the Grey Hills they were quite overgrown and it was hot and humid. We ran out of water :-0 just before the descent off Mt. Arthur heading for the old Helipad at Bogong Ck. saddle.
Finding the track became quite interesting at one point there.
Once you get up Timm's spur and camp at Roper's Hut you can descend to Bogong village via the Spion Kopje Fire trail. Even In January the ford of Rocky Valley Creek at the bottom of the final switchbacks was a boots off affair.

From there you can make your way to Bogong Village( Cable track?) ,cross the Falls Ck. road and then head up the Spring saddle track to where it joins the Fainters Fire trail. You will find water en route.You will have to crawl under the gate and push your pack under the fence.
The campsite at Bogong jack Saddle has a soak flowing from which you can pump up H2o with a pump up water filter. You will find it just before the old cattle gate at the entrance to the flat clearing at Bogong Jack Saddle.
From there you can head up over the Fainters and head for Weston's hut via Tawonga Huts.The Pole line at Pole 333 takes you all the way to Weston's hut. From Weston's hut you descend to Blair's hut.
The next stage is to go past The Diamantina horse yards and meet the Diamantina spur walking( Grovelling ) track.
"the Diamantina Spur, is it better to ascend or descend?"
I have been up & down it and I am not keen to do either again.
:-0
There is a section which is a rocky steep scramble either way you go.

When I went down the Diamantina Spur it was hot and very overgrown esp. near the bottom. When I hit the West Kiewa logging road I was spent.

Going up it was taxing , mind over matter. At least the track had been recut properly . My companion and I both drank all of our water by the time we reached the excellent campsite near High Knob. We flaked out for an hour on arrival. It must have taken 3.5 hours to climb up it that far. We set up our tents and then took all of our water containers to stock up on water for the night and the next day at the spring on MUMC hut track.
The next day we hiked across the Razorback to Mt. Hotham and the Mt. Loch car park to the car.

I did descend from The Razorback to Harrietville in early Dec. 2019 via Champion spur. The fire trail was recut in 2018 ?. The descent from near Twin Knobs is total off track hiking until you reach the fire track at about 1380 M. on the crest of the spur. Just stay on the spine of the spur the whole way. It drops down in an rather vertical thigh burning & knee crunching descent to meet the Ovens River. There are approximately 16 river crossings at the bottom.
If you have never tackled Champion spur then do it soon before the fire trail becomes untraceable and impassable due to regrowth.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby Baeng72 » Thu 29 Oct, 2020 8:36 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:I have walked most of these routes within the past three years.
Someone told me the notorious Black Possum spur track coming off Mt. Arthur has been cleared too but I have not looked at it myself.

OK, if it's notorious, it's beyond me.
I have been up & down it and I am not keen to do either again.
:-0

You're a fit person and it took you 3.5 hrs. That translates to long weekend for me.
I might have to build up to it. :wink:
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 30 Oct, 2020 7:50 am

Instead of Black Possum Spur, continue on the AAWT to Warby Corner near Mount Nelse North, which is worth a short detour to bag. Go down the Spion Kopje Fire Track, where there are a few slightly exposed spots with water before the treeline. The FT crosses Rockey Valley Creek a few kilometres upstream of Bogong Village. I have not crossed here, but it may be deep and swift, best not done in spring or early summer, perhaps. Someone else may be able to advise on this point. The next bit will not be fun - a few kilometres on the Falls Creek Road to above Bogong Village, where you leave the Falls Creek Road and go up to the ridge and Bogong Jack.

I checked the pics and I took just under 3.5 hours. At a few steep places it was a struggle, and at the top I was in advanced state of decay. Parks Victoria require visitors to remove their own dead, and I did my best. On that day I started at Westons, which is why I want to camp at Blairs, saving an hour. If I leave at 6:30 am (my latest summer departure time) I'll be on The Razorback by 11 am and in camp by about 11:30 am.

Despite the steepness I prefer Diamantina Spur to Dibbins, Derrick, Razorback. The reason is that via Derrick a long way with no water. The water on that route is Dibbins, Derrick and Federation or of Feathertop. Diamantina Spur has about 4 hours from the last creek to the ridge, and 2-300 metres of climbing, albeit in smaller increments and not nearly as steep. Diamantina Spur is 650 metres.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Baeng72 » Fri 30 Oct, 2020 8:03 am

Thanks for the info!
My thinking with Black Possum Spur is it's more direct. Warby Corner seems to be heading away from the shortest route.
Pole 333 is up on the Bogong High plains, and on paper seems to be a detour from the most direct route from Bogong to Feather top.
Of course, what you see on the map isn't half the story. If the track is hell on earth, a longer detour on a nice track is far preferable.
I was thinking Diamantina horse yards was a good place to camp. My map shows it has camping spots, toilets, and near water.
Anyway, it's a bit pipedream-ish at the moment. Good to know if an opportunity presents itself.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 30 Oct, 2020 8:46 am

Diamantina Horse Yards is a good camp site with a drop loo and picnic tables but it is has Horse float and 4 x 4 access. If you prefer hike in only camp sites then Blair's hut is better.
The Rocky Valley creek crossing at the bottom of Spion Kopje fire trail was a boots off river crossing in late Jan. , maybe a year or two back. The Spion Kopje fire trail crosses a water point above the hair pin bend before it intersects with the jungle gym that is the grovel track down to Rocky Valley Creek crossing and up and over to Howman's Gap.
I have descended from Roper's hut to Bogong Village via Spion Kopje and then road bashed it to collect the car at the car parking area at the Clover dam Arboretum . That was a long hot day.
"Diamantina Spur has about 4 hours from the last creek at Derrick to the ridge"
LOPS, you seemed to have your locations mixed up. Derricks hut is found after the steady and 'character building' slog up Swindler's spur from Dibbin's hut. There is no water point en route.
There is a soak near Charlie Derrick's hut near the pole line that flows into Jan. if you are lucky.
The last water point as you ascend Diamantina Spur is the West Kiewa River. After that you can bet on the MUMC hut track spring for water. Allow 5 hours one way to reach that water point from the West Kiewa Fire trail at the valley floor . Take rehydration salts in sachets. It is a BRUTAL ASCENT. Yes, Parks Vic. prefer that team leaders bring extra stove fuel , preferably kerosene and cremate their dead en route.(sic)
;-P
Crossing the Razor back ... once you leave the ridge via Champion Spur you will not find water until you hit the Ovens river. Ditto for The Bon Accord spur which is longer and more tedious. Descending to Harrietville/Fish farm via NW spur you will not find water until you reach the foot bridge at the bottom. By then you may be dead and not realize it.
Descending via the Northern Razorback track , there is no water you can rely on until you reach the bottom of Stoney Tops 4 x 4 track .
Descending via the more humane and popular Bungalow spur there are water points en route until the heat of Jan. tends to dry them out with the exception of the spring (along a sign posted side track ) near the old Hut ruins site some 2km below Federation hut.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 30 Oct, 2020 8:58 am

I have walked the Loop from Dibbin's Hut up the AAWT pole line past the Basalt Temple to meet the pole line junction where it meets the Young's Hut pole line( pole 270 ? ) . Then I went to pole 333 and followed the pole line to Weston's hut . From there I went towards Blair's hut , over Cobungra Gap and back down to Dibbin's hut. I did this a year or two ago with a day pack , starting early to beat the summer heat . I had my camp site already set up at Dibbin's hut. Dibbin's hut has no shade other than the inside of the hut itself ,so just flaking out in the creek under a tree after such a solid day hike seemed the best option to cool off and rest until the sun sinks and dinner time comes around. Beware of leeches!!
The track from Pole 333 to Weston's hut is generally in good order.I have gone up it :-0 in the past from Blair's hut and it is a real slog.
Last edited by paidal_chalne_vala on Fri 30 Oct, 2020 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 30 Oct, 2020 10:14 am

PCV, I did indeed get my places mixed up, corrected after you copied the error. You have said what I was attempting to describe. Five hours West Kiewa-Diamantina-creek on the Tom Kneen Track is about right. It gets easier as you climb and The Razorback is mainly flat. It's about 30 minutes return from The Razorback to the Tom Kneen Creek, which has always been flowing for me. In late summer with no precipitation the creek may be dry. If so, the creek near the Bungalow Hut site a short way down the Bungalow Spur should be okay. The ridge just above this has reasonable camping. The soak above Tobias Gap has always been running.

Your comments about kerosene and being dead without noticing it have merit.

The most direct route may not be the best. If Black Possum Spur is overgrown then Warby Corner and Spion Kopje may be the way to go. I go bushwalking to see places, and if that means a bit longer then so be it. The poles and track west from pole 333 to Westons hut should be well defined, although some poles may be down. I found going down from pole 333 to Westons to take ages. South of Mount Jim, pole 267 is where the SEC Hut pole line continues south. Youngs Hut ruins are up the hill from this, and the names are often mixed. The SEC Hut has a small creek near the hut and a bigger one around 200 metres away. Camping is sheltered. If going SEC-Dibbins or the other way you can cut the corner at the treeline. There may be a creek or soak near Basalt Temple, and possibly campsites. Knowing about options makes it easier to plan if you need to vary things.

The horse yards do not appeal as a camp site - too many horses and 4WDs. Blairs is nicer, and maybe there are gates stopping vehicles.

There's some shade at Dibbins, but not much. Parks Victoria put the camping platforms in the shady spots. Derrick can be very windy, so find a sheltered spot.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Baeng72 » Fri 30 Oct, 2020 10:27 am

Lophophaps wrote:I go bushwalking to see places

I've got competing pressures with other responsibilities, so I have to condense walks as much as possible.
There's what I'd like to do, and then there's what's possible within a short space of time.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Anotherjonesy » Fri 30 Oct, 2020 10:49 am

Good info in this thread, looking at doing a Hotham/Bogong/ feather top circuit in a few weeks when we are let out of prison before they change there mind again.

Knowledge on the Big river crossings say mid to late November ? Will the wet spring make it to hard, or after 4-5 days of fine weather it will be manageable?

Also parking at Hotham, mt Loch carpark is fine, or is there somewhere better to leave the car for 5-6 days?
Thanks
Anotherjonesy
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 30 Oct, 2020 12:43 pm

Going from Bogong to Feathertop is nice, but it involves more time getting to and from the ends than a walk that starts and finishes at the same place or nearby. It can take half a day to do a car shuffle Harrietville to Mountain Creek, which is why I like the taxi and bus solution.

A loop from Mountain Creek going over the northern high plains or one based at Hotham may be easier. Big River should be viable at the Quartz Ridge-Timms crossing, shin deep. T Spur will be much deeper, especially after rain or in spring melt, could be thigh deep and the chain may be washed away. The Omeo bus can be boarded at Harrietville, and may stop at Loch carpark or the top of Brandy Spur, which I've done several times. The latter is a good way to the western high plains via Paling Spur to reach the SEC Hut. A lot depends on what time you get to the start of the walk.

Five-six days should be ample for Bogong to Feathertop. Camp at Mountain Creek, climbs and distances approximate.
1 Staircase, Quartz Ridge, Big River, 1300 metres of climbing, 13 kilometres.
2 Timms Spur, Nelses, The Park, 500 metres, 14 kilometres
3 Wallaces, Mount Cope, Ryders, 200 metres, 14 kilometres
4 Jim, Westons, Blairs, mainly flat, 11 kilometres
5 Diamantina, Federation, steep 700 metres, 6 kilometres
6 Harrietville, all down.

Day five could continue down to Harrietville.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 30 Oct, 2020 12:55 pm

There is a gate for MVO at the West Kiewa Logging track where it reaches the Diamantina Horse Yards. This keeps the 4WD crowds away but with a Mtn. bike you can get further along as well as by walking.
Instead of taking Swindler's spur you could slog it up Machinery Spur fire trail. It is a real grind. It is much nicer to descend from Mt. Loch to Blairs hut that way if you are inclined.
You can take a 4 x 4 vehicle from Mt. Beauty all the way to the Diamantina Horse Yards. There is a section according to Ubi. Steve on the ski forum , where he says the high track is better and misses some axle breaking rocks that make some of the fords of the river perilous and are best avoided. I have kept his description of this approach to the foot of the Diamantina spur by 4 WD on file on my computer as a word file.
I am curious about the old Telecom hut. My Rooftops map says it is still there in the vicinity of Blair's hut.
I have not encountered the actual ruins of the real Young's hut. I only know the SEC hut a.k.a Young's hut which is maintained by the Albury Border bushwalking club.
I was at that hut last summer and the water point nearby was flowing well. Unfortunately Young's top was burnt in the fires. I plan to scout it out this summer if possible .I 'd be inclined to come in from the Hotham airport and McNamara's hut. Ubi Steve has cleared and tagged that route using reflectors on trees , not unlike parts of the Northern Prom..
Last edited by paidal_chalne_vala on Fri 30 Oct, 2020 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Anotherjonesy » Fri 30 Oct, 2020 1:04 pm

Thanks lophophaps.

I was meant to be doing the aawt in November, but alas lockdowns and track closures have put an end to that. I was hoping to do similar Kilometers each day as what I would be on the AAWT.

The circuit I've come up with is pretty taxing, but that's what I'm after, an outdoors camping bootcamp to burn off lockdown laziness...
Day 1- mt lock carpark- to cope hut area
Day 2- cope hut to big River crossing on Timms
Day 3- Timms - over Bogong, and down back to the aawt ,over big River at t spur up to ropers
Day 4 - ropers to Bogong jack saddle
Day5- Bogong jack saddle to Blair's hut
Days 6 Blair's to feathertop then back to the carpark.
150kms, should have me hobbling for a week afterwards.

Of course if it's recommended Big River will be to high at t spur crossing I'll have to come up with a new plan.
Anotherjonesy
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 30 Oct, 2020 1:12 pm

Parking at Mt. Loch car park for 5-6 days should be fine but if you park at Brandy Ck. Mine fire trail head you can leave your car in the shade off the Gt. Alpine Rd. The basic descent , track finding and boots off river crossing of the Cobungra River and the ascent up Paling spur are not that hard. Paling spur is a bit overgrown but navigation is not that challenging. What is more interesting is finding The SEC/ a.k.a Young's hut and/or Pole line back up to Pole 270 on the BHP above the tree line.
A map ,compass and GPS with waypoints loaded in advance on a proper Garmin e trex friendly map are not optional!
I became geographically embarrassed and ran out of water. Using a map and compass I did find the pole line on Young's spur which got me out of trouble. I am
very fit but dehydration was an issue. I had forgotten to refill my 3 L. bladder en route. I crossed a number of water points from the top of Paling Spur where it pops out into
a trackless subalpine wilderness :-0.

I digress!
So starting your loop from Brandy Mine Ck trail head gets you over the Southern BHP . You can by pass Paling spur and take the old miner's horse track along Swindler's creek to Dibbin's hut , Up Swindler's spur, Derrick's hut , over Mt. Hotham , across the Razorback to Mt FT. Then descend the Diamantina Spur to Blair's hut. You have many options.

Yes ,it is best to make the most of what chances we have to enjoy walking in our lovely Vic. Alps before we are locked up again!!!
Last edited by paidal_chalne_vala on Fri 30 Oct, 2020 9:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 30 Oct, 2020 1:29 pm

Crossing Big River at the bottom of the T spur could be challenging if you do it before Xmas. It has been quite a wet spring .If it rains a lot the night before you plan to cross Big River at the bottom of the T Spur then reconsider your route. If in doubt then cross it at the bottom of Timm's spur.
There are leeches a plenty at both river crossings :-0 .
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 30 Oct, 2020 3:12 pm

There's a kilometre of tussocks between the Brandy Spur 4WD track and Paling Spur, so gaiters are advised - snakes cannot be seen. Opposite Paling Spur I've always crossed the Cobungra with boots on and dry feet, but it may be boots off for higher water. I see no point getting boots wet for just one crossing. There's a good campsite at the foot of Paling Spur. On all trips I've drifted off course a little on Paling Spur, and recovered fairly easily, no GPS. At around 1600 metres head northish to a lovely open plain where there may be an on-off track. On the ridge at about 1680 metres head NW then north, too many feral horse tracks. From the last broad saddle west of the hut it's an easy few minutes downhill to the hut. Coming from pole 267 is a bit trickier in places where the poles are at long intervals, especially near the yard. Veer left, SE.

Paling campsite.png
Paling spur campsite
Paling campsite.png (441.75 KiB) Viewed 29623 times

Top Paling.png
Top of Paling Spur looking NNW
Top Paling.png (329.21 KiB) Viewed 29623 times

Top Paling track.png
Top of Paling Spur, on-off track
Top Paling track.png (524.95 KiB) Viewed 29623 times
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 30 Oct, 2020 5:32 pm

The Paling spur campsite is excellent.

I would recommend zip off hiking pants for this route with the full length pants zipped ON. The tall grass and bushes are scratchy and full of irritating pollens.

In that third photo I recognize that tree !.

"especially near the yard"

The old yards on Young's spur have been dismantled by Parks Vic.. I found this to be a bit disorientating in 2018 after not visiting for a number of years. Keep in mind and remain vigilant en route that there are two pole lines if you are coming from pole 333 to pole 270 or up from Basalt Temple towards the SEC Hut on Young's spur.
One goes directly to the hut but it goes through thick bushfire regrowth which makes following the pole line interesting.
The Other pole line goes down off the spur line and just stops once it reaches the trackless wilderness that leads to Paling spur in one direction and Mc Namara's hut in the other direction. Once you have found that obvious saddle that overlooks Mt. Loch in the NW then you can drop down to the SEC hut . It should be about 100 M. away. I marked that spot on my GPS way points . The person at the Mt. Beauty Parks Vic. office with whom I spoke told me that some other cattle management structures on Young's top have also been removed in addition to the old cattle yard on Young's spur.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 30 Oct, 2020 5:44 pm

"There may be a creek or soak near Basalt Temple, and possibly campsites"
I have never seen any trace of water near the Basalt Temple over the years I have been walking in the area. There are good campsites with views of Mt. FT nearby , that much is true .You could cart water in from the Cobungra river if ascending to camp near the Basalt temple.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby CraigVIC » Fri 30 Oct, 2020 7:24 pm

I've never done any walking in this area and I'm planning on heading there soon. I have two nights. It seems obvious to do the summit so my plan is,
Mountain ck to Cleve Cole via the staircase. Then Cleve Cole to Michelle via the summit and West Peak. Then return by Eskdale.

Given this is not much of a loop and involves a fair bit of back tracking I'm interested in any opinions of a better 3 day walk or any problems with my idea. There's conflicting info online about water at bivouac, not that it's crucial either way.
CraigVIC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Baeng72 » Fri 30 Oct, 2020 8:33 pm

CraigVIC wrote:I've never done any walking in this area and I'm planning on heading there soon. I have two nights. It seems obvious to do the summit so my plan is,
Mountain ck to Cleve Cole via the staircase. Then Cleve Cole to Michelle via the summit and West Peak. Then return by Eskdale.

Given this is not much of a loop and involves a fair bit of back tracking I'm interested in any opinions of a better 3 day walk or any problems with my idea. There's conflicting info online about water at bivouac, not that it's crucial either way.

Well, Bogong isn't the Bogong High plains, and the best peak isn't Bogong (according to an unscientific pole of youtube videos).

You could park at Lock carpark, head down machinery spur onto Blair's hut, or go via Dibbin's Hut, down to Blair's hut on day 1 (or stop at Dibbins and make day 2 longer). Head up Diamantina pain tester to the Razorback, and onto Fed. Hut, (summit Feathertop if still alive). Day 3 (summit Feathertop if a ghost) and then walk the Razorback to Hotham (cross road at Diamantina hut), then stroll down to Loch carpark.
That is based on the unscientific claim that Feathertop is the only true 'Alpine' summit in the area.

For Bogong, go hard. Park at Falls creek, head up AAWT, then cross Big River, up to Cleve Cole Hut. Day 2, summit, down Quartz Ridge and camp. Day 3 Timms Spur, over Big River gander at Spion Copje, back to Falls.
(the above is not to be considered for normal people)
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 30 Oct, 2020 9:25 pm

If you suggest to a newbie to visit Mt. Bogong via the river crossing at the Bottom of the T spur and go from Roper's hut to CC hut in a day you might put that person off ever returning ;-P.
It is a tough day of walking with a 700 m. Vertical descent and the a 700 M. elevation gain to meet the T spur/ Long spur junction and bush campsite.

Having walked every route up and down Mt FT and Mt. Bogong I prefer the approach to CC hut via Mulhauser spur and Long Spur. The first time I visited Mt. Bogong I went up the Staircase spur and headed for CC hut to camp the night. That was a solid day .
The next day we walked from CC hut over the summit and down the Eskdale spur and back to Mtn. Ck. .
The track from Michelle Hut to Camp Creek Gap has been re cut and re routed to avoid " The Drain" . That was a ghastly erosion channel situated just past the micro creek crossing on the Eskdale spur track. In winter it was horrid with snow and ice and overhanging scrub causing you to sink and slip and cop it in the face esp. if you had skis or a big pack on your back.
I am interested to see what that track is like now.
Being a member of The Bogong Club, I must go up there every year at least once!. I will be heading up there this November using the Mt. Wills to CC Hut and back route over 4-5 days.

The tank at Bivouac hut should be flowing because this spring has been quite wet. The same can be said for the tank at Michelle Hut.
Water at CC hut can be found in the micro creek in front of the hut as well as from inside the hut .

The views of the Bogong High Plains from The Quartz Ridge are quite impressive and very different to what you see on the Mt. Beauty side of the Mt. Bogong massif. The views of Mt. Bogong from the Grey Hills and Timm's spur are also worth taking in.
Mt.FT is the most Mountain shaped peak in Ozstriya but Mt. Bogong is a beast and has its own voodoo!.
Both are worthy of many missions in all seasons.

With a car shuttle you could park one car at Clover arboretum on the Falls Ck. road and another at Mtn. Ck. and walk up to Bogong Ck. saddle via the tram way , aqua duct and fire trails.
You would camp at Bogong Ck. saddle. Water is near the Quartz Ridge intentions book . The next day go up the Quartz Ridge , over the Mt. Bogong Summit and down the Staircase to Mtn. Creek.

After that you will want to lie down.

Once a friend and I went up from the Hollow way via Granite Flat Spur over the Mt. Bogong summit and down the Quartz ridge to Bogong Creek saddle. The next day we retraced our steps. In effect we climbed Mt. Bogong twice and descended Mt. Bogong twice in one trip :-0 .That was character building !!
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 30 Oct, 2020 10:31 pm

The Basalt Temple soak was or is on the north side, Snake Creek, near Fletchers Yard.

Bogong on a first trip to the area is a tad much unless the party is fit with good experience and good stamina. From the gate on Mountain Creek to the summit is about 1300 metres, followed by a high very exposed ridge to Cleve Cole Hut, a solid day. I'd wait until there are 4-7 days and do a trip that has minimal crossing of the same ground, such as Eskdale Cleve Cole Hut, T Spur Ropers, Timms Quartz Ridge treeline, and summit Staircase. In spring and early summer, Big River at T Spur may be too high to cross safely. Bivouac Hut has a tank, which may or may not have water. There's also a soak on the Staircase track just below the summit, runs except in late summer and after prolonged dry spells. See if you can locate the Summit Hut site.

Instead, there are heaps of easier options on the high plains where a number of peaks can be bagged in a weekend. Drive to Pretty Valley, then walk east to Sun Valley, Nelses, AAWT to Wallaces, camp at Cope Hut or on the summit of Cope. Next day Jim, Jaithmathang, Tawonga Huts, and Pretty Valley. Add a few more side trips or go slower for three days. This trip is never more than a few hours from a good track.

I'm not keen on car shuffles - they take too long. A taxi does not cost much when split among a party. By the time the car shuffle driving is taken into account a taxi is viable.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Next

Return to Victoria